“You're the best!”
Review of Hotel Utse

Hotel Utse
Ranked #79 of 210 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed December 26, 2011

If you're visiting Kathmandu--it's the place to stay. Within walking distance or taxis to anywhere worth visiting. The atmosphere is warm, comfortable and intimate. The restaurant and the attendants are all tops! . Loved the little outdoor roof top breakfast area. Thank you for a lovely stay! I hope to see you again.

Room Tip: I was happy with my room 304- great view, quiet and some extra space.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 25, 2011

I stayed there for one night during my personal trip in Kathmundu, Nepal. No additional recreational facilities like Cable TV was there but it was clean and decent stay. Food is good and management were helpful.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 4, 2011

If you are looking for a fantasic and fabulous place to stay in Thamel, Kathmandu, go straight to the Hotel Utse!! This is the most caring and guest friendly place I have ever stayed. Care factor 100%. This family run hotel is certainly the first choice for me as a female in Kathmandu. I have stayed there twice now, on two separate trips to Nepal, and the owners and staff have really looked after me each time. The first time was with two other female friends, and this year I was on my own. As a solo female traveller, safety, friendliness and genuine care were all at the top of the list in this welcoming establishment. The prices are excellent value for money - ask for the Deluxe rooms and you get just that little bit more value for money for a few extra dollars per night. The lobby, rooms, roof top garden and kitchen are all clean and decorted in the Tibetan style. The food is EXCELLENT and is very reasonably priced. This hotel is top of its class for all travellers to Kathmandu. Stay here. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back have less noise. Ask for a Deluxe room and you will get an en suite bathroom and...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 26, 2011

if you're looking for smth more than air-conditioner in your room, Utse can offer you really family atmosphere - they do care about you! we've got situation when had to stay for 2 unexpected nights due to flights cancelation, and after exhausted day at the aiport i returned to Utse as home. From tiresome streets of Thamel you suddenly find yourself in safe place where time is running somehow differently. They've got very special atmosphere with their own unigue stile of life - you may like it or not, but you can't resist it. and they cook the best buff momos, really home-made taste! hope you will enjoy your stay in Utse!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 23, 2011

It's easy to see why UTSE has made it to 40 years in the business. The Utse Hotel has thought of everything. From their demonstrated commitment to the environment to their Great food + wonderful and unique decor + fantastic service = A perfect Himalayan retreat, this hotel has left no detail to chance.

The rooms are spacious and will duly impress even the most serious design snob among us.
Asked for a "quiet room" at the UTSE which I did on my first visit the staff knew just where to stash me. I liked this room so much that I asked for it again on a return visit. Ashok M at the front desk was even sweet enough to do some room shuffling to ensure I could have it! Oh how I love when folks make my wishes come true!

I spent last night in another Kathmandu hotel and all I could think was, "I want to go back to the Utse!"
Best of all, the Utse is affordable! While some of its amenities are luxurious, you won't find luxury hotel prices here (nor will you find an elevator so pack light in order that you can more easily hoof it up the stairs!) Loved the Roof top garden area. Thank you for a lovely stay! I hope to see you again. :)

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 19, 2011

The Utse is in the middle of the tourist district on a narrow, noisy, pothole-filled street. Of all the places I've visited in India and Asia, Kathmandu is the worst, and the Utse is right in the middle of it.
I went with a group of 17 that all met in Kathmandu. We stayed in the Utse for three nights at the beginning of our trip and one night at the end. I am including a photo taken on our first stay of the back of the bathroom door that was half rotted away from the shower and covered in black mildew. We were on the third floor. The second time we were there we had rooms on the second floor and the bathrooms were in better condition.
There is a night club behind the hotel that plays LOUD music every night until midnight and longer on the weekends. There is a rooster nearby that starts crowing around 3:00 in the morning.
Even though the owner/manager is hospitable and easy to work with, there are over 100 other hotels in Kathmandu to choose from (several of our group stayed at the Blue Diamond across the street from the Utse the first night because our hotel was overbooked, even though we had book almost a year in advance. They said that place was worse. One person called it "a dive.")
There are several positive things I can say about the Utse; their lobby was big enough for all of us to gather, the dining room was clean and there were five different (small) breakfasts to chose from each morning. There is one hotel computer and WiFi is available for 50 rupees an hour (less than USD 1.)

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor near the stairs. You will avoid the ends of the hall where noise...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Helen711
Reviewed November 19, 2011

Comfortable, friendly hotel. Very convenient location for Thamel and the Greenline Bus

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple