“Grotty, uncomfortable 3 days!”
Review of Hotel Utse

Hotel Utse
Ranked #71 of 198 Hotels in Kathmandu
London, United Kingdom
“Grotty, uncomfortable 3 days!”
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I stayed at this hotel in November 2010. I wouldn't stay there again.
It is of a very poor standard, yes it's very cheap, but that doesn't mean that it should be filthy dirty with fixtures and fitting from 40 years ago which are all broken or breaking off.. or not working. When you travel to places like this you expect a little adventure, a little rustic charm.. but this was just too dirty for me. Everything in the hotel is old and ragged, it needs changing or cleaning! The lobby was full of random furniture with sticky dark bits all over the sofas. The atmosphere was dark and dank. My room consisted of an old wooden bed with dirty sheets, which were probably once white, but now were a beige color. The bathroom was terrible. I might as well have been showering with a watering can over my head. It was an old building but it hasn't been kept up to date with even the basic modern amenities.
I didn't eat in the premises because the hotel restaurant was too dirty for me. The only good thing I can say is that they had a wifi connection available in the lobby.. it wasn't a very good connection and kept cutting off.. but it was at least available.
The area, Thamel, is very a tacky tourist area.. everything is a rip off. Every shop sells the same generic wooden carvings, nik naks, pasmina etc..
Did not enjoy my time here at all.
There is a little hut in the town center called "Chicken & Fallafel".. it's just a small hut with a man selling the best chicken wraps and fallafel wraps I've tasted in a long time !

Room Tip: all rooms are bad
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Utse H, Manager at Hotel Utse, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
My name is Deepak Shrestha and I am the Hotel Manager of Utse Hotel.

First off, I am terribly sorry to read about your trip to Nepal, for the inconvenience that this may have caused during your 3 days stay with us in Nov 2010. It has been eleven months or so since this experience we are sorry you waited for almost a year to post your complaint.
Our company is actively working to improve service levels and your feedback has proved to be invaluable.
The Bed Linen have been replaced and bathroom showers have been repaired. Thank you for your suggestions.

In regards to the post, our property is a complete reconstruction of the old building. We wanted to preserve the original façade of the building to honor the history of the neighborhood.

Cleanliness and Hygine is of the utmost importance at Utse. We are always striving to keep our facility as immaculate as possible and maintain high standards of Cleanliness and hygiene.
And all of our guests have always been satisfied with the high level of cleanliness; in light of your feedback we are looking to closely monitoring housekeeping to ensure that we satisfy all of our guests.
The supervisor of the housekeeping department will do an inspection twice a day ( two shifts - morning and evening) once the housekeeping has completed their task to ensure that high level of cleanliness is maintained in all areas of the Hotel/Restaurant.

We are a distinguished Hotel/Restaurant establishment since 1971 in the hospitality industry and our Director a dedicated indivudual who has shaped the development of the Hospitality Industry in the Thamel area. And have always believed in offering complete value and personalized service to our esteemed guests.

If you would like to visit us again to see the improvements first hand, please contact me directly at utse@wlink.com.np and it will be my pleasure to personally assist you with your stay.
I hope you will give us the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

Best regards,
Deepak Shrestha
Hotel Manager
Utse Hotel
Kathmandu, Nepal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2011

Unlike so many other places to stay in this city,this hotel is family run.This is reflected in the warm and caring atmosphere of the hotel and restaurant staff.Nothing was too much trouble.There is a large reception area in which to sit comfortably which makes a pleasant change,and a nice roof garden.Rooms are a decent size,nothing luxurious about the bathrooms,but adequate.For a solo/family traveller of any age..nice/safe ambience.This may be particularly relevant during the height of the tourist season and you want a Sanctuary within Thamel without paying a silly price.
nb:if you are new to Nepal,familiarise yourself with "electricity shedding"..ie.when power is avaliable.Also,a lot of hotels shut up at 10pm so make arrangements to ensure you don't get locked out by mistake !!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank anthonyvanoss
Australia
Reviewed June 7, 2011

Great location, quiet, friendly - run by the owner. I was there on business but it would suit a holiday traveller equally well.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Australiamac
Sydney
Reviewed May 11, 2011

I have decided that Hotel Utse was the one for me after reading the tripadvisor reviews and pleased to report that I was not disappointed.
I was warmly greeted on arrival and felt quite at home. The room was clean and tidy and was cleaned daily, except the public holiday. The shower wasn't the best, so I used the tap instead and this was not a problem for me.
The roof top garden was perfect for doing my Falun Gong exercises in the mornings, though had to share the space with the gardener. It is also a place to enjoy your meals or a few drinks.
Drinking water was not a problem as each floor had two urns with boiled, filtered water for filling your water jugs or bottles.
The room had power points to charge up camera etc. during the hours when the power was on.
Mama and Papa Utse and staff were all friendly and helpful in so many ways.
Their restaurant, from morning to night, served fresh, delicious reasonably priced food and with the extensive menue, so I didn't feel the need to venture out in search of other places to eat...when you are on a good thing, stick to it.
I stayed just over a week, but the memories of Utse will remain in my heart always. It's a place with a heart, which is so very rare this day and age.
As a solo traveller I felt safe and didn't feel lonely at all.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Solitary88
amsterdam
Reviewed April 11, 2011

I just returned from a weeks stay in Utse, this time the 10th time from 1997.
I've also been in other hotels in Nepal, so I think I can compare. Hotel Utse brings in something that is, according to me, friendliness (not artificial), always ready to help you out when you need it in a way that goes beyond their obligations, a decent room at a fair price and an excellent restaurant that, on top, has incredible low prices.
When coming arriving in KTM at the airport I am already in good humours when in front of the arrival section I discover their (free) pick up man with his tablet on which in big letters UTSE, I know I'll be at home and looked after in Kathmandu.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the front section or the left
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank elliebra7
Singapore
Reviewed November 30, 2010

This is my 2nd visit to Kathmandu.

The rooms may be a tad small, bathroom bit of a squeeze. Some nights we dun get good sleep cos of noise from either other guests(talking/chatting along corridors), traffic or noise generated from the back. BUT...it is still a charming clean place with good trusted management, friendly staff and a good location -- if you like to be near but not IN the Thamel hotspots where other guests houses can be found(more noise, more bright lights, more 'comfort food' restaurants). Mama Utse never fails to greet us whenever she sees us - and always bless us with a kha-btags(Tibetan white scarve ceremony) when we depart Kathmandu for blessings of safe journey .

The restaurant is also very reasonably priced for a hotel based restaurant. We tried other restaurants around Thamel and none are as competitively priced ! Ended up eating most meals with Mama(& Papa!) Utse.. yummy Tibetan noodles for winter!

Oh -- latest addition of High speed WIFI in lobby is a bonus. I could access it even on my 3rd floor room. fantastic!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank hunnybunx
San Jose, California
Reviewed October 24, 2010

'though the place is right in the heart of Thamel, it does need a face-lift soon. The rooms are small and smelly. The beds are dirty, old, and sinking in the middle. Breakfast is so-so. People talk aloud. Annoying traffic noise are easily heard. A good night sleep is far from happening. There's good water pressure, hot water and shower. Staff are friendly and helpful. There's free WIFI in the lobby. I'd only recommend this place to someone just because of its affordable price and excellent location.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple