“satisfactory hotel”

Ranked #140 of 193 Hotels in Kathmandu
New York, NY
“satisfactory hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2008

I stayed at the Malla Hotel for 2 nights in June 2008 before moving to a Buddhist monastery in Kathmandu, where I volunteered for a month. To be honest, I usually stay at very high-level, excellent quality hotels and I really did not want to spend too much money in Kathmandu so I chose the Malla Hotel. Overall, the room was clean and well air-conditioned, which meant a lot in the hot summer nights. However, the water in my bathroom was brown and the hotel reception immediately sent men to try to fix the problem but to no avail - they ended up moving me to another room next door. The water there still had a taint brown color to it but I accepted it and moved on. The service was good - the reception was very helpful and as I said, the room was always clean. These were the things that were important to me. I can't speak much for the food as the breakfast looked pretty bad and I didn't eat it. I ate one night the dinner from the hotel but again, the buffet did not look too appetizing so I only ate the boiled rice.

If you are looking for a clean hotel in a good location of Kathmandu, I would recommend this hotel. But just don't expect what you would receive from a 4-star hotel in the states or in Europe.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the facilities
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Polish first
Las Vegas, NV
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2008

I stayed at the Malla Hotel at the beginning and end of an Everest region trek. The hotel was very nice and room was good. Bed mattress was very hard, but that was fine for me. The staff is especially good. At the end of the trip, the night before my flight home, I came down with salmonella ( probably contracted at a restaurant in Thamel, BE CAREFUL). The staff was very good at checking on me throughout the whole night while I was severly ill. They continually brought toilet paper, sprite, and even offered several times to get me a doctor. I was impressed by the genuine concern they all showed.

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank NVScott43
Gloucester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2007

We stayed at the Malla 3 nights at the beginning of our holiday. The hotel was OK. The room was quite good and we were pleasantly surprised. However 2 things annoyed us. We had to buy water at the bar because bottled water is essential and they only gave us 2 bottles for the 3 days. The bar charged an outrageous 200 rupees for a bottle that costs nothing on the street (that only happened once!). The hotel was clearly set up for group travel and all the tables for breakfast and dinner were reserved for groups, which made us feel like independent travellers were not welcome. We had to share with other people to be able to sit down at all. On the plus side, the location was good, although the road outside is insanely busy all the time which makes getting to it rather time consuming! When we returned, we stayed at the Darawikas and it was another world, but a lot more expensive of course.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark W
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2007

After a days sight seeing in Kathmandu the Hotel Malla is a welcome retreat. Set in attractive grounds with swimmimg pool and aviary it is a complete contrast from the dust and noise of the city. We stayed here at the start of our Nepal trip and also for the final night. It is in a fairly central location making it a good base for getting around.

The rooms were clean and everything was in working order. We had 3 meals in the main hotel and one in their Chinese restaurant next door, food was good but not outstanding. Early breakfasts were organised on two mornings when we had flights to catch. The hotel has a few shops in the lobby and a small business centre. The staff were friendly and helpful.

• Liked — Set back rom the hustle and bustle
  • Stayed March 2007
8 Thank Peter R
Chichester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2007

We stayed here in a party of 15 in March 2007, and enjoyed the visit. It is a well appointed hotel, in quiet grounds, and seemed to be well located for visitors. There are nice public rooms and good bedrooms. The bedrooms are well furnished, and the bathrooms have all the usual medium-class hotel fitments, towels and bits. The tap water is rather brown and certainly not for drinking(!), but flasks of drinking water always provided. Nice fruit baskets on arrival, newspapers , etc.

There is a nice and quite busy bar, sitting areas and terrace, coffee shop, and pleasant grounds, including a swimming pool. There are various rooms for meals (sems to be a main dining room, and also a breakfast room). The main hotel food was perfectly acceptable if not exceptional - we also ate in their Chinese restaurant which is linked, and had a good meal here.

The staff were all very good - helpful, polite, and cheerful. Good security arrangements and felt totally safe. Good hotel shops also.

All in all, a place we would be happy to return to if visiting Kathmandu again.

• Liked — Safe, secure and reliable base. Good staff.
  • Disliked — The whole city is very crowded, jammed with noisy traffic, and suffers from air pollution. But that is Kathmandu, not the hotel!
  • Stayed March 2007
9 Thank Jobie
Warwick UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2006

I stayed at this helpful and friendly Hotel at the start and finish of my stay in Nepal and enjoyed the quite and clean environment, a welcome change from the bustle and pollution of the town. Good facilities including an excellent massage for £7! For information, I got a very good deal on the internet before I arrived.

• Liked — clean, quiet and facilities
  • Disliked — surrouding area
  • Tips/Secrets — book on internet for good rate
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
8 Thank tymon
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2005

I really enjoyed my stay at the Malla. Two friends and myself were doing a 21 day trek around the Everest region, and found the Malla quite convenient to Thamel to buy our last little supplies, and say no to Tiger Balm.

10 minutes walk to Thamel, and all the resteraunts, bars, shops, etc. We also walked to the technical district (can't remember name) and this was about 25 minutes.

Rooms were quite nice, breakfast smorgasboard was good and the sauna/steam room after the trek was great for aching leg muscles. It was quite nice to retreat (escape) back into the gardens after walking around Kathmandu.

• Stayed November 2004