“Quiet, comfortable and relaxing”
Review of Malla Hotel

Malla Hotel
Ranked #169 of 207 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Good place to escape the hustle and bustle of Kathmandu. Friendly staff, large bedrooms, unlimited breakfast. Welcome respite after a 17 day trek, but like a few things in Nepal there are always a few issues - like running out of hot water. Still, nothing's perfect.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Malla Hotel

Reviewed December 11, 2013

I have to give HUGE props to the doormen and security staff at Malla Hotel. I stayed here with humanitarian tour group after some village home stays, so the clean facilities and comfortable bedding were breath of fresh air. I had taken a taxi from the hotel (I flagged the taxi down near the Monkey Temple) and accidentally left my camera in the taxi. I did not figure this out until 2 minutes later to my utter dismay and was running around frantically around Bouddha Gate looking for this taxi driver. With the assistance of other taxi drivers in the area, I was taken to the police station to report this, in the off-chance that it was returned or could be tracked down. After 1 1/2 hours of going through surveillance tapes the police were able to narrow the taxi down to two taxi numbers, but I had to go back to the hotel to see if this was recorded in order to identify the actual taxi number so that the police could find the taxi to retrieve my camera.

I'm so glad that I did not stay at some cheesy, cheap hotel because low and behold, the security records every single driver that comes through to the hotel, and I was able to identify the taxi number. The security staffed spoke with the police and helped me along the way and really made me feel at ease. Not only was it a $400 camera, but the photos were memories of my past week working and playing with school kids and Nepalese villagers. The doorman and security staff also ordered another taxi for me and explained the situation to him, which made me feel comfortable and completely safe. In the end, I was able to retrieve my camera after 5-6 hours of searching and investigating.

I can't express how helpful and ethical the security staff was at Malla Hotel and every one else they worked with. It showed true human spirit and people working together to make this one tourist come out of the country feeling blessed to be there.

Thank you so much for the warm hospitality! I would definitely recommend this place to anyone who wants to stay at a safe and helpful hotel!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Arrived about 9pm to NOT be greeted - the guy behind reception said nothing when I said "Hi, checking in please", so I tried to tell him my name and my trekking company name and he disappeared off, 2nd guy was not much better but he did check us in, but no usual directions to the room or times of breakfast or dinner, consequently we didn't have hot water to shower that night as it must run out at either 10pm or 9pm never learnt which!!! Not sure if the problem was language or that the staff are a bit brusque, but i reckon it was a bit of both. We stayed twice during out Nepal tour, the first room we had was horrible and dirty and stank, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assess on basis of the second room which was clean with everything working. Bathroom and room are dated and would have looked great in the 80s, but is definitely tired now, the theme of 80s and tired ran throughout the public areas, the lobby and restaurant. Plentiful western TV channels, bed was comfy enough, hotel generates it's own electric when the power goes off, a few shops in reception (souvenier) and a casino in the car park.
Breakfast was acceptable but nothing special. First night had the dinner buffet which I felt was rather poor and tasteless. For food I recommend walking out of the hotel front gate, turn left, at first road turn left again down the side of the hotel and about 50m on your right is a 2 floor restaurant with tables in a rear garden also and Nepali ethnic dancing from about 7pm, it seems that many tour companies use this place as it was full every evening with large groups, so it must have something going for it when compared to the competition.
Not a lot going for this hotel, but I feel that if you want something better you will have to spend considerably more per night to get it and end up staying in the Hyatt or Shangri La, however if you want something that is OK and safe and not too expensive for a couple of nights then Malla will suffice.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I stayed at this hotel after being evacuated from the Everest region. I stayed here for 6 days on my own. When you first arrive you think its a very nice hotel. The reception area / bar and gardens are really nicely kept. However the rooms are very old fashioned and very dated, the whole place is looking very tired. But i do feel that the location, right in the Thamel district is spot on. You can walk to the great shopping areas and to the main square and several temples. The staff here are brilliant, they all went out of their way to see i was ok, as i was on my own. Coming to my room, bringing me meals and just a pleasure to be with. I would use this hotel again for that reason. It would be nice to see them get new uniforms as lots of these were as tired as the decor!

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the pool are quieter, but all rooms on the ground floor smelt a little bit dam...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank SallyS844
Reviewed November 17, 2013

My three sisters and I went for a holiday, stayed at this hotel, Ideal location, walking distance to Thamel tourist shopping areas. Warm Hospitality by the staff and General Manager. Good spread of meals. Our Mountain flight was excellent, as we had a fine sunny day.

Room Tip: My room was on the 5th floor, quiet and had more privacy, room was spacious and well kept,
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We stayed at this hotel as part of a trekking tour group, but we arrived a day early to go on the Everest Vista Flight (excellent on our day).
The Malla is a very pleasant hotel set in an oasis compared to the dust and traffic in the vicinity. The breakfast and evening meals were buffet style and were fine. Had lunch one day and that was a set meal which was also fine. The staff are very pleasant and helpful. My main issue was that the shower is in the bath and whilst a grab rail is fixed on the side wall there is no bath mat supplied and the baths are very slippery and I turned in the shower and fell out of the bath on to the wc and badly damaged my back and had to have a hospital visit with x-rays etc. My trekking was therefore somewhat harder than I had planned. The next day a shower mat appeared in the bath but it was at least a day too late. Beware, ask for a bath mat in advance.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This hotel is not five star contrary to what has been charged by our travel agency (Snowland Travels and Tours - which is by the way, gave us a real crappy service - do not book your travel to Nepal through this agency! Real waste of money!)

The hotel badly needs refurbishment - really old and stinky room. The staff are nowhere near friendly, the breakfast was really bad and almost inedible not to mention dirty linens.

The hotel really is below average by our standards, we regret staying in this hotel for two nights especially when we think about how much we paid.

The WIFI is available in lobby but is not included in the hotel package. It is relatively cheap however, with the hotel room price and hotel condition, it should have been free.

Definitely not recommended for a family with kids like us.

On the positive note, the check in/ check out is a breeze as we arrived late at night. That's pretty much the good thing we can say about the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family