“Challenged my identity”

$68.00*
Private Tour of Pashupatinath and Bouddhanath
Ranked #5 of 186 things to do in Kathmandu
Reviewed January 16, 2013

This temple challenged me greatly. I must admit, I could not wait to get out of there once I was inside, yet when reflecting, I am glad I visited and had the chance to feel uncomfortable. Being a white woman, I was a minority and stared at by everyone there. There were bodies being cremated right in front of me and being pushed into the cement creek below.
I say that it challenged my identity because I went there believing that I embraced difference and culture but realised that when placed into an environment where the caste system is explicit and "in your face" That I struggled with it immensely and did not embrace any of it. That being said, it was an experience I'll never forget

Write a ReviewReviews (3,416)

Reviewed January 14, 2013

If you can come in from the side, it won't be so stressful as coming in the main entrance, where you will be hassled non-stop to buy something.

I went there twice, and the second time came in from a side entrance after crossing the river, and it was really nice and local. Come out near the deer park zoo part.

The top of the temple is very old and peacful, so it is well worth to walk up to the top of the Hill and spend some time there. Here you can meet some interesting Hindhu Yogis also.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Go Relax and let the peace flow within you... Nice place if you are alone and want to spend some time alone..

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Go here to (from a distance) experience the burning ritual of the Nepali people. It is also a beautiful place with the temples, trees and holy people (saddhus).

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I have been there a couple of times, and I would HIGHLY suggest spending a few dollars and getting a tour guide to explain what is going on. On two occasions, we got a tour guide and were amazed by what was going on. The first time we paid a kid near the entrance to take us around and he explained who the people were and what the ceremonies that took place there were all about. The second time, we actually got to see the entire process from the time that a body is washed in the water of the river to the actual cremation. Once you understand what is taking place, it becomes much more spiritual. I HIGHLY suggest going by... and even if you dont see a cremation, the Sodu's are always fun to chat with