Tripadvisor
Kathmandu

Ways to Experience Kopan Monastery
from $327.54
More Info
All reviews tibetan buddhism meditation retreat book store kathmandu valley peaceful place daily life life changing main temple library nuns monk intro visitors bookshop study westerners statues
Selected filters
Reviewed January 3, 2020 via mobile

We visited the kopan monastery on our way back from the sleeping Vishnu temple ( Buddha nilkantha ) . It's a very quite place and that's how it should be. Serene beauty with a lot of things to learn about Buddhism here. If u are an adventure freak then this is not a place for you. This place is for those who want to take a step towards meditation and peace .

Reviewed January 2, 2020

I haven't participated in any program at Kopan, but enjoyed their gardens and surroundings and browsed their library and shop. The café is a bar room with large windows with a nice view over the valley and villages outside the proper Kathmandu valley. Drinks are just fine, nothing special.

Reviewed December 30, 2019

Peeaceful place, serene. I attended a few courses about buddhism here, I enjoyed what this place had to offer. I made a few friends here. I see things differently after spending time here.

Date of experience: October 2019
Reviewed December 13, 2019 via mobile

This was my favorite place that I visited in Kathmandu. It was so beautiful, peaceful, quiet and holy. It over looks the valley of the region and so you get amazing views. These are the most beautiful temples and statues in the region. Definitely recommend.

Date of experience: April 2019
Reviewed December 7, 2019 via mobile

Don’t try to visit this monastery while they are holding courses since they don’t allow day visitors. After almost two hour walk, the guard at the door- I’d never seen one at a monastery- said we couldn’t visit it. We waited outside for a while and was enough to see how little Buddhism was taught in there. Non of the monks nor the people attending the course said hello to us. There’s a construction going on on the side of the building and it’s sad to see all the poor people working under the sun and being ignored by all this people at the monastery. And last but not least, the best part of the building is an ATM located at the entrance of the monastery!

1  Thank helenaspg