“Great Spot Amid Chaos”

Ranked #91 of 198 Hotels in Kathmandu
Palo Alto, CA
“Great Spot Amid Chaos”
Reviewed July 25, 2008

I would normally give this place 3 Stars. However, after seeing a few other hotels that friends were staying at, I thing the Marshyangdi is pretty darn good as far as location and overall quality. I stayed at the hotel as a part of a package so I have no idea what the rate was but I think the place was perfectly adequate.

Let's set expectations..... This is Nepal: don't expect electricity, hot water, a working TV, or a person at the front desk that speaks english when you have a detailed question.

The hotel did however, charge our camera batteries, give us change for large bills when needed (small bills are hard to come by), and safely store our luggage while we were out trekking in Annapurna for 2 weeks. There is also a cafe next door in a garden (I use the term "garden" loosely there) that has internet access and is a perfect location for afternoon beers or tea.

I stayed in a double with a friend. There was plenty of space for 2 people in the room.

• Liked — Great location, secure (I was a female traveling alone for a portion of the trip), internet, notified you of the normal daily power outages so you could plan charging your camera, showers, etc.
  • Disliked — I heard it was pricey for what you get. There are much more reasonable hotels in the area with the same quality.
  • Stayed March 2008
1 Thank Will Work for Plane Tickets

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Tasmania
Reviewed April 26, 2008

We stayed for seven nights, four before a trek and three after. For a first visit to Thamel it is well located and very safe. The lobby is comfortable for a cup of tea and the staff are friendly and accommodating. The first room we were given was on the side nearest the hotel generator (which comes on according to a timetable 7 hours a day while the state power is turned off). it was really noisy and impossible to sleep. We asked to be moved to another side. No problem We found the laundry service very good. The buffet breakfast was a challenge. Even thought the leafy courtyard is pleasant the food was not inspiring. We ate at local cafes like the New Orleans cafe 3 minutes away where the coffee is great. Overall I would go back to The Hotel for the basic level of security, the price and the central location.

• Liked — Security and location
  • Disliked — noisy hotel generator
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
karachi
Reviewed December 20, 2007

We just came back from our honeymoon trip today from Kathmandu and Pokhara. Kathmandu is a highly impoverished and chaotic city, but the people are very polite and the culture runs deep.

The hotel is average; exactly what you would expect from a 3 star hotel. Service is very good..and location is superb...we were close to everything....highly recommended for famililes.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Attention to detail was missing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pakistanitraveller
Southampton
Reviewed November 7, 2007

We have stayed at the Hotel Marshyangdi with our kids a number of times and now refer to it as 'our home in Nepal'. The staff are great with the kids who were only two and three when we first went as a family. Apart from the professional and friendly attitude of the staff and management what I like most is that you can get breakfast from 6 in the morning - you do not want to be laying around in bed when there are so many things to see and do within a few meters of the Hotel. Try wandering down to the shopping district of Assan at 7.00 am- hey I could go on writing about this hotel all day (it is where I met my wife)
Dave Capps

• Liked — Great service
  • Disliked — primitive facilities by western 3* standards
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Charpimanche
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed April 4, 2007

We had a wonderful stay at the Hotel Marshyangdi in Thamel. The hotel was centrally located in Thamel and within walking distance to restaurants and shops. The staff were pleasant and helpful and the rooms were clean. There is a security guard on the premises all day and the gates to the hotel are locked at night so the atmosphere is very safe. Overall, we had a pleasant stay and we would be happy to stay there again on our next trip to Kathmandu.

• Liked — Centrally located
  • Disliked — Breakfast buffet
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Padparadscha
Australia
Reviewed January 30, 2007

Clean, friendly, efficient and reasonably central 3 star property . We agreed a very reasonable rate by contacting them directly. There were no problems with any aspect of the check-in or check-out, and while we were there the staff and management were always helpful and friendly. We opted not to include breakfast at the hotel because the local cafes and restaurants are open for longer and offer more variety (and at a better price), but otherwise it was a great deal for the few days we were in Kathmandu.

Stayed January 2007
4 Thank SanMarco2
Watford, England
Reviewed July 17, 2006

I travelled to Kathmandu for the first time in Aug 2005. I was a 41 yr old stay at home mum - who wanted a break and I got it! I came to Nepal to do some sightseeing and visit the charity projects I support and the Hotel Marshyangdi was home for roughly a week. I am hardly the backpacker type and wasn't in Nepal as a trekker. I don't mind roughing it and was open to different standards of accomodation during my stay, but once I was driven onto the forecourt of the hotel, I was amazed. Wonderful entrance, flowers/plants & a welcoming lobby area. I was greeted with a cold drink and given a temporary room (so I could get some sleep - while my room was being made up. It was early in the am and many guests had yet to check out - so having a bed to crash in was a welcome sight.)

Once ready, I had a nice room with 2 single beds which was clean and comfortable - and cool in the heat, the staff were friendly and food was great. I had to leave the hotel for 3 days while I went to other parts of the country and returned for my final night - and the staff upgraded me to a bigger room. A wonderful surprise.

I really enjoyed talking with the staff and was sorry to have to leave. It became my home from home for a brief time.

I plan to return to Nepal in 2007 with my eldest daughter - and hope to show her all the sights & sounds of Kathmandu & Nepal on a mother/daughter adventure. We will certainly be back!

• Stayed August 2005