“NOT a 5*..Maybe 2*” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #65 of 194 Hotels in Kathmandu
Maputo, Mozambique
“NOT a 5*..Maybe 2*”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

To call someplace a boutique hotel and capitalize on the Shangri-La name..say it is a 5* hotel then that is what I would expect when I check in. However if this is a 5* hotel then I have to change my standards!!
The friendliness of the staff I cannot fault, they were great. What I can find fault with is the old condition of the hotel and the lack of maintenance.
What needs to improve are:
The dirty, stained carpets in the rooms.
The tiny CRT - TV in the room, upgrade to a watchable TV
The lift. I feared for my safety because of the noise, jerkiness, door not closing or stopping inches above or below the level of the floor.
"FREE" Wifi. Why is it a $20 night hotel can supply usable free wifi and this hotel at 5* rates can't? If we cannot connect even in the public areas..then we leave and spend our money elsewhere.
This is a hotel I will NOT recommend to anyone else.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DeeTurn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Maputo, Mozambique
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

As we had a bit of a schedule change at the end of our trip we had one extra night to spend in Kathmandu. Thus no research was done for the Shangri La. We had already booked the Shanker for New Years Eve a "3 Star". We were a little excited to stay at a 'Shangri La' at a 5 star hotel.
Oooops.
So it was very apparent that this Hotel Shangri La is not part of the Shangri La group that I am familiar with.
Once again the curb appeal is great, notwithstanding that road in front is under heavy construction at the moment for road widening. Having seen a couple of the other widened roads in Kathmandu the completion will certainly be a welcome sight for the hotel management.
The greeting from the door staff was very warm and welcoming as was the front desk in fact we very happy with warmth of everyone. The let downs are with the property its self. The lift is quite old and small that is poorly maintained. Having maintained lifts in my previous career, I feel qualified to make this statement. Well maintained lift will operate relatively quietly. Doors will open and close when called upon to do so. The lift will level out correctly for each floor. None of the above was witnessed. It appears the bell staff has accepted this as the norm. But what the heck .....what should we expect? This is Kathmandu after all. Oh did someone say this was a five star hotel? I would expect the lift to function correctly for a five star hotel and not pose a safety hazard for guests and staff.
The room was a solid 3 stars. The TV was an old CRT type. Not fit for a 5 star hotel.
The lounge and fire place were quite inviting and warm so we went down there use use the free internet. Well......let me tell you that was an exercise in futility. We had a strong signal with no results.When we asked lounge staff about the internet, the reply was oh.....this all you get for the free wifi. If you want do anything at all you will need to purchase your wifi. Oh did someone say this was a five star hotel? sigh.....all good.
We decided to take a walk towards the Thamel district in search of somewhere interesting to eat and free internet. (somewhat irritated). As mentioned with road construction underway walking in the dark along this road would not be something I would do a second time.
Breakfast! Well that was the shining star of our stay. It may well have been the best breakfast I have had in Asia for quite some time. Very attentive breakfast staff. The garden is gorgeous as well.

I could possibly stay here again when road work is completed and if the pricing was to reflect the state of the 3 star rooms and the lift were to be maintained.

Room Tip: A room facing the garden.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Kathmandu hotels

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

The first time I enjoyed this beautiful hotel was in 1997, when it served as the meeting point for the members of a challenging two-and-a-half week trek to Everest Base Camp. At that time, it seemed like a luxurious respite from hiking, camping out and not being able to take a bath or shower. The fact this place had once been where Sir Edmund Hillary stayed in Kathmandu added to its mystique and charm. I had such fond memories of Shangri-La that I determined to stay there again when I took my wife to Kathmandu for the first time this past Autumn.
Happily, I was not disappointed. Yes, Shangri-La Hotel -- like the rest of Kathmandu and Nepal -- is not quite as charming as it seemed 14 years ago. But in view of the extremely difficult times endured by Kathmandu and the Nepalese during that period of regicide and civil war, it would be a miracle if it were. Fortunately, despite the history of the past 14 years, Shangri-La is still a wonderful place to stay and spend time in Kathmandu. The initial room given to us faced the parking lot and street. Although the room was in every way satisfactory, I knew from my previous stay that the better rooms are those facing the beautiful inner courtyard. When I asked if we could move to such a room, the friendly and efficient staff immediately arranged for us to do so. I very much appreciated their courteous attention to this request.
All the rooms I have seen or stayed in at this hotel are clean and more than satisfactory, with good bath facilities and very comfortable beds. The hotel has a very good restaurant, where my wife and I enjoyed some of the best breakfasts we had on our entire trip in Nepal, Bhutan and India. The restaurant faces on the beautiful lawn and garden that serves as the inner courtyard of the hotel.
The only drawback of our stay was the torn-up, under reconstruction condition of the Lazimpat street on which the hotel faces, which made it somewhat difficult to walk to the several excellent restaurants in the area. Of course, one may take a very reasonably priced taxi to do so.
I would certainly stay at Shangri-La should I ever return to Kathmandu in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the beautiful inner courtyard, rather than the street.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
adelaide
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed here after a trek .... it was sensational ... unlimited hot water which was def required
The grounds are excellent
Rooms are specious and very clean
In general the service is very good (however it took me 45 minutes to check out and settle my bill, different people were apparently responsible for different things and it resulted in one person working and about 5 standing around).
Breakfast buffet was good
The associated massage place was excellent
There were a few power outages so maybe take the stairs while there
The location was a tad out of the way and with the "road widening scheme" in Kathmandu it is hard to walk anywhere from the hotel ... you need to catch a cab to get to the main shopping and resturant precincts

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank whatithink2010
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

First of all Shangri-La Hotel Kathmandu is not a part of shangri-la group. But its the first five star hotel of Kathmandu. Its a boutique hotel which have most of the five star facility.

Location wise the hotel is ideally situated in the vicinity of some embassies including Indian embassy. The Lazimpat road is under construction (widening works). Therefore walking on that road might be problem especially in night.

Rooms are good and comfortable. The hotel also has a casino where people and actually enjoy.

The food and service people are really exceptional. They are really helpful and courteous.

Room Tip: Take deluxe rooms or twin bed rooms on 4th or the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank JiewJana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

Perfect value for money, nice garden, free wifi in the lobby, mini bar, good food with a nice mix of nepalese, indian and international kitchen in a buffet style, but the best of all is the internal illy espresso bar so there is really good coffee, that is often lacking in these kind of places

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Bali
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

Beware of the advertisement. Yes this may be Kathmandu's first five star hotel but has not remained that way.
This should sum it up. We paid over 280 a night for a regular size room with patio.

For that price, urine should not come out of the bath tub faucet. I understand Nepal is a third world country, but when we asked for help, it took us four phone calls for someone to come up and fix it.

The food is horrible.

The front desk decided to prank phone call our room six times during evening hours.

Stay somewhere else, unless you want a golden shower-

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends