All reviewsoverlooking the gardenswimming poolnice hotelclub roombreakfast spreadan oasisbusy streetnice staydustembassiestrekchaosrelaxationeverestasiaretreat
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Stayed there for 2 nights. The room was cramped for two persons, assuming it has a 5 star rating. The swimming pool is really a puddle and service not that great. Worst of all are the incidental charges such as use of internet or even local phone calls. A call within Kathmandu for less than a minute was charged Rs 81.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank igc_2011
Reviewed August 25, 2011

This hotel isn't the Shangri-la from the Shangri-la group, but a private owned hotel with the same name.

This is notable when you walk in, the lobby is old and doesn't have any "wow" factor.

The rooms are old and haven't been upgraded for a long time. The smell in the rooms is bad, as it is very humid in the hotel.

At night we found a rat chewing on our bags and wires in the room. That was the decision to leave the hotel and return to the Crown Plaza.

The general manager refunded our money without a problem.

Its too bad that this hotel has not the same standard as the Shanhri-la hotels in other cities.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank Gerald M
Reviewed July 28, 2011

The Shangri La Hotel in Kathmandu touts itself as being a 5-Star hotel. And, in many parts of the world, Shangri La is 5-Star. But, after staying in their property in Kathmandu, I can say it is literally a 2-Star, maybe 3-Star hotel at best. Perhaps when it was originally built and opened 20-30 years ago it was considered 5-Star, but now it clearly shows its age.
The A/C in the rooms are old or in need or repair. They cannot come close to handling the Kathmandu heat. Our bathroom had dirt and smudges all over the walls that clearly had not been cleaned in a long, long time. Also, the toilet in our room made an annoying noise which after 3 visits for repair, the maintenance staff could not fix. That noise was irritating and made it hard to sleep. Looking outside of my room, the gardens were beautiful, but the huge cracks running through the building structure looked terrible.
We ate dinner in the nice hotel restaurant, but because it is off season, they were very short staffed. Not one time did someone come by to refill our water glasses or ask us "how is your meal". I noticed that because I ordered the most expensive steak on the menu and it was wayyyy over cooked. I ordered medium-rare and my filet was well done. They had cut the filet in half and cooked it in two sections. Any steak lover knows that's a sin!!! Anyway my filet was way over cooked, but the staff and/or management never checked with us about it.
Also, when I asked the front desk how to get to the nearby Thamel shopping district, I was given three different set of directions by the three people I asked. They all ended up arguing about it in front of me (the guest) which was embarrassing.
As you can tell, I would not recommend this hotel to future travelers to Kathmandu until there is a management change, a lot of staff training, and a major renovation project.

Room Tip: The front street is very noisy. Get a room facing the garden!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank 4fish
Reviewed June 28, 2011

This Hotel is really good. The staff is helpful, nice and kind, and restaurant food very good.
Our room was superb.
Every night, you'll find a small flower on your pillow. This is the hotel's way to say Goodnight.
You must come here at least a night in your life.
There is also a swimming pool and a beautiful garden where you can have breakfast in the mornings and have dinner in the evening. !
Wonderful !

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KiaraK
Reviewed June 2, 2011

Although the place is nice but the rooms are small for a family, the furniture seems to be fairly old. One big advantage of this hotel is the location and proximity to market (is somebody cares about it).

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family