“It doesn't get any better than this”
Review of Dwarika's Hotel

Dwarika's Hotel
Ranked #12 of 198 Hotels in Kathmandu
Denmark
“It doesn't get any better than this”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

No doubt about it – Dwarika's is an oasis in the middle of a very chaotic and noisy Kathmandu… Step inside the hotel entrance, and you're in another world.

We stayed there twice in October 2013 in connection with our Everest Base Camp trek – two nights before the trek and two nights after. We got two different rooms – the first two nights we got a room on the 4th floor (no. 402) in the main building overlooking the atrium courtyard. This room had two single beds. The other two nights our room was on the ground level (no. 105) near the swimming pool. This one had a big four-poster bed. Both rooms were standard rooms but they were big and very nice. The ground floor room was really big – bigger than most suites we've ever stayed in in other hotels. The decor is lovely in traditional Nepalese style. The bathroom is very luxurious with a huge shower and beautiful decor.

Apart from the rooms, the hotel itself (interior and exterior) is just a joy to walk around and look at all the details. The hotel has a number of "friendly hotel dogs" – big and small dogs that walk around the place, quite clearly enjoying life. You can pet them if you want.

We tried all three restaurants: Krishnarpan (Nepalese), the Japanese restaurant, and Toran. They were all good. Toran is also the breakfast restaurant and serves very nice food, both for breakfast and dinner. It mostly serves western-style food but with a couple of Nepalese dishes thrown in. Krishnarpan is a gorgeous Nepalese restaurant where you sit on very low chairs at low tables and where you must wash your hands over a basin and take off your shoes before you can go inside. We were lucky to get a table the first night. When we went to get a table three weeks later it was booked out. So if you want to try it, I recommend that you book a table.

The only little problem we had was that our ground-floor room was not far from a function held one of the nights with live music. There was no way to block out the noise. Fortunately the music stopped at 10 p.m. (we would have complained if it had gone on for longer). But apart from that we enjoyed our stay immensely.

Having seen lots of photos from the hotel before we went, our expectations were high. But we were not disappointed. It's a lovely place to stay – perhaps the nicest hotel we've ever stayed in.

3 Thank Froggy2Denmark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
dundee
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Three years ago we stayed here as part of an amazing holiday. It was wonderful to be back and we were amazed to be remembered by some of the staff. It is still the same oasis of peace and calm in the middle of a frantic city.Evening in the courtyard is very specialThere have been changes in three years but nothing spoils the incredible atmosphere of the place. It was quite interesting to stay in a room that was being built the last time we were there. The staff were, once again, helpful, attentive and pleasant to talk to and the food was superb.

Derwood, Maryland
Reviewed November 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed here in our recent visit to Kathmandu. Our stay was prior to our trek.

The room was very comfortable and included both shower and large tub, which was wonderfully relaxing. Bed is large, very comfortable and we slept very well. The services in the hotel are first rate and every restaurant offers wonderful cuisine and excellent food. My wife and I got a massage, which was excellent and a great value, though when we went to shower off, the shower in the spa did not have hot water, only mildly cold.

I would give this an excellent review, but the hotel staff needs to seriously upgrade their accounting and billing systems. They apparently don't write when bills are settled, don't provide a zero'd out bill showing nothing due and it does not appear they have an automated system. After paying for our massages at the front desk, I was again asked to pay upon my checkout. Even with the invoice, including my copy of the credit card receipt it required a 5 minute discussion and they realized I paid, but then figured out they had not charge me for my wifi usage, which I then paid. This wasn't enough as after my trek, they tracked me to my next hotel and once again offered a bill for what they said was a second massage my wife and I got. We had to make a special stop at the airport to settle this up. After they agreed we only had one massage (again me providing receipts) they indicated I owed 325 rupees. So for $3 a 5 star hotel made me go out of my way. Please fix your accounting systems.

Room Tip: The hotel is "bird friendly" so be prepared to hear them at sunrise, but not a big deal.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We came back from a 6 day trip in the Annapurna area, with very simple lodges in the hills. We really enjoyed the tranquility and luxury in that Hotel, a great buffet in the park, near the pool. The rooms very quiet and spacious, with a big bathroom. Staff was very helpful and attentive.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 3, 2013

This luxury Heritage Hotel is the perfect oasis of tranquility in the hustle that is Kathmandu. The grounds are spacious and gorgeous, the architecture beautifully authentic and the room we had was excellent. Food is great and varied - perfect for a traveller. Staff are first class as are the services and entertainment (including dance displays). This is the perfect place to stay if you want peace, quiet and privacy.

Englewood, Colorado
Reviewed November 2, 2013

The Dwarika's Hotel, Kathmandu, Nepal

I have stayed in the Dwarika's Hotel twice. My first stay experience was everything that one might expect from a 5-star hotel. The Dwarika's is a quiet oasis in a very noisy city. Had in written a review last year, it would have been excellent across the board, but since my recent stay was less-than-satisfactory, I am giving the hotel only an average review. My main reason for even taking the time to write this review is to warn anyone booking a room at the Dwarika's to avoid booking their stay in the room that I was initially assigned. Since there are so many excellent reviews, the chance of anyone reading another excellent review of this hotel is minimal, so I gave the hotel an average review in the hope that more people might opt to read one of the few such reviews.

I was originally placed in the Lumbini building of the hotel, a central structure completed in 1981 located just across a small courtyard near the entrance of the hotel and surrounded by most of the activity in the hotel. The building itself is beautiful, but I was given room 21 and one of my colleagues on the trip was given room 22. These rooms are located on the ground floor with a busy and noisy restaurant located just outside the windows. The hotel has placed tables within several feet of the windows of these two room, so privacy is not possible. After looking out the window and directly into the eyes of a diner seated just over fifteen feet from my window, I knew that it would not be possible to stay in this room with the drapes open. However, there were no sheer drapes, only blackout drapes, so that when I drew the drapes closed, the room was cast into total darkness in the middle of the day. Even had I decided to stay in the room in spite of the lack of privacy, the noise level on this level with the restaurant so nearby, and with a barbecue planned for that evening, was intolerable. Further, compared to my room during last year' stay and the new room I was moved to, these two rooms are only slightly larger than a standard hotel room.

So, unless you are willing to tolerate a noisy room without privacy, avoid rooms 21 and 22 in the Lumbini building. Actually, you would do well to avoid any room in this building. My entire party was placed in this building and each of them reported excessive noise from the loud music at the evening barbecue. You would do well to ask for rooms numbered under 21 or over 50.

Overall, this hotel is a beautiful hotel with mostly large, quiet rooms, great food and drinks in the restaurants, all the amenities and an attentive staff. And, the front desk did provide my colleague and me with other rooms after I complained about the problems with my room. These rooms, numbers 64 and 69, were large and very quiet. However, I do not believe that any hotel that bills itself as a 5-star hotel should ever place their paying customers in such rooms as I have described above. Perhaps these rooms would be best used for friends of the staff staying for free, or whenever the hotel is completely full and then only at a markedly reduced rate. Better yet, either move the restaurant tables farther away from these rooms or use these rooms for some other purpose.

Room Tip: Avoid Lumbini Building, especially rooms 21 and 22. Best rooms under 21 and over 50.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Charles G
uk res
Reviewed November 2, 2013

After a long,long journey we were so pleased to be up-graded to a lovely large and very well appointed room.although the hotel is on a busy road the room was perfectly quiet.
The staff were very helpful indeed.
This is an intriguing hotel like no other.
My only criticism was the food was very bland...a good curry would have been most welcome