“Beautiful and hard to rate”
Review of Dwarika's Hotel

Dwarika's Hotel
Ranked #12 of 198 Hotels in Kathmandu
Austin, Texas
“Beautiful and hard to rate”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel is stunning and beautiful. The rooms are incredible. Dwarika is the place to go for real Nepali Architecture. The restaurant is good and the pool is lovely as well. Any camera bug would take two days just photographing the place. I thought the service was wonderful. The only issues I experienced are the the hotel is in a busy and badly congested area. There is nothing close by for shopping, etc., everything is a Taxi ride away. The hotel is safely and quietly behind high walls with lovely garden areas, so it can make up for that. And the much advertised Spa is very expensive. There are many more Spas in Kathmandu that offer more; even luxuriously, for less
I was disappointed at the Spa for the money spent.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Samira B, Consultant at Dwarika's Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review. It was indeed wonderful having you with us and we would love to have you back soon or perhaps to Dwarika's Dhulikhel opening August 2013.

Stay well

Regards

Samira Burgess
Consultant
The Dwarika's Group of Hotels and Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 1, 2013

This is a magical heritage hotel. The rooms are beautifully appointed. The staff are very friendly and accomodating though service is slow. The food is lovely. However, the gym is terrible and in dire need of some good equipment that works. The location of the hotel is not the best but once you are in the hotel grounds, it is very peaceful.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Amyn A
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Dwarika's was amazing, easily the most beautiful hotel I have stayed in anywhere.
Excellent service, beautiful rooms and grounds, very comfortable.

Good breakfast included, and restaurants were decent. On the expensive side for Nepal, but not unreasonable by international standards.

About the only downsides I can note (and I'm really reaching here): the internet wireless (a fairly expensive extra) was of inconsistent quality, and the signal strength was good outside but weak in the rooms, and one of the rooms I had was a bit noisy at night because of the phone ringing at the reception desk right outside the window.
The location is close to the airport, but isn't really near anything else, so you'll probably choose to use the in-house restaurants.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stayed for only 1 night, checking in late morning and leaving at lunch the next day.
Amazing architecture. Not amazing service.
It was like stepping into the calm of a monastery from the utter chaos of Kathmandu.
Our room was not ready at check in. So we took the time to move around the hotel grounds and marveled at the architecture and the greenery and the flowers and the shrubbery. We enquired about dining options and booked a table for 2 at the Nepalese “fine dining” restaurant serving 6 course exquisite Nepalese cuisine. There was no fish option, and I requested for fish.
We left the hotel to sight see in Kathmandu and returned in the evening. When we came to our room, there were no less than 3 persons readying the room for the evening. Brilliant beautiful and large room. Equally nice bathroom. The furniture seemed to be antique and recycled. The floor terracotta. The windows faced the courtyard.
Before going to dinner, I told the reception that I was expecting an important visitor and could they alert me at the Restaurant and or bring him to the restaurant. At least 3 persons at reception took note of my request. At the restaurant, I informed the Manager of the same thing.
At dinner, we were surprised that we had to sit on very very low chairs and tables, almost cross-legged. Both of us had a lot of difficulty and we noted that we were not alone with sitting nearly on the ground. The entire dinner was upset by the discomfort. I think we should have been warned, or if not, an option of regular table seating should have been provided. Faux pas no 1.
The personalized menu was given in our names. Chicken was offered. Upon checking with the server, she said a fish option was being offered in lieu of chicken. Faux pas no 2.
The food was “OK”. We had eaten far superior Nepalese set meals (“Thali”) elsewhere in Kathmandu and Pokhara. There was “unleavened griddle Roti” on the menu. Instead they served fried puris. The fish was fried fish fingers!! I spoke with the Manager and he had no explanation why puris and not rotis were served, and why fish fingers and not Nepalese fish curry! All in all the service and meals were below average. Over-priced and quite frankly rubbish meal.
In the meantime no news of our visitor, despite me making a couple of enquiries.
After dinner, on the way to the room, our visitor was found waiting at the lobby for the last 45 minutes. The reception told him we were not in!!!!!
The rest of the stay was uneventful. The breakfast was fairly standard.
In my opinion, the magnificence of the hotel is being compromised by poor and incompetent management who are only riding on the uniqueness of the hotel. All the nice greetings and smiles cannot substitute for real service.
We salute the founder of the hotel, now deceased. We think he must be sickened by the poor guest management.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PUO
Samira B, Consultant at Dwarika's Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. My team and I are very concerned and surprised about the way you felt during your stay at Dwarika's. Please accept our sincere apologies and I do assure you this was a blip in the service rather then the norms.
Dwarika's Hotel is known for its heritage architecture as well as a true Nepali world class hospitality service and most of our guests and visitors will vouch for that.

I would like to clear one thing with regards to our signature Nepali restaurant Krishnapan.

Krishnapan is a very traditional Nepali cuisine with set menu depending on the day and the organic farm produce. The guest will be offered a choice of Vegetarian and none vegetarian food only. The food is not very spicy, the seating is very traditional Newari low seating having said that, we do offer an alternative of a higher seating arrangements for our guests should they request for it. I believe you were offered but you declined.

We would only hope that we are able to make amends and to be given a second chance in hosting you and the family once more.

Please feel free to contact me directly on gm@dwarika's.com should you need to discuss this further.

Regards

Samira Burgess
Consultant
Dwarika's Group of Hotels and Resorts
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I only came here for dinner with a friend. The experience was fulfilling. I was impressed with their efficient staff team. While waiting for dinner to be served, we went on a little tour around the hotel's ground - the room looked very nice, the landscape was amazing, the spa was tempting and everything is just wow. There's a guy playing sarangi.. Very sweet music! We received a welcome drink and was ushered to the restaurant. I loved the whole experience - the low table, the rice wine, the 6-course traditional food. Even the menu was personalized. Once we're done, we got a lucky brick (or something like that) to take home as a gift.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Köln, Deutschland
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I loved everything about this place and what is there not to love? The food (we had dinner there twice ad the breakfast buffet is phenomenal) is delicious, the rooms all different and lad out with such care, the staff lovely (maybe wth the exception of one or two people at reception who seemed for some eason reluctant to understand some of our little requests but in the end it all worked out), the whole place emenates peace and beauty! I would return to Kathmandu simply for the pleasure of staying at this unique hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed January 26, 2013

A grand hotel that is well worth your time. This hotel has a very relaxing spirit about it. The staff treat everyone like real royalty and the food is very very tasty (I forgot how to spell that in Nepali). The rooms are a slice of heaven and the live music a real treat.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family