Kathmandu Guest House
$119
$101
$91
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Yak & Yeti(Kathmandu)
$162
$21
$135
  • Pool
1,371 results
All reviewsan institutionnew wingan oasisbeautiful gardendeluxe roomthamel districthotel groundsthe hustle and bustletravel desktourist areadurbar squarehot waterhearttrekbudgetsatmchaos
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We had an excellent stay at KGH - the front desk was super accommodating with late checkout, luggage storage, room upgrades and more. The charm, location, friendly staff, beautiful garden and history of KGH all make up for the somewhat dated rooms. I highly recommend this place. I stayed here 10 years ago and again on a recent trip and wouldn't recommend any other hotel in Kathmandu.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Kathmandu Guest House is legendary, and deservedly so... perfectly located in the middle of Thamel, and lovely gardens which are an oasis in the carnage of the city. Rooms clean and spacious. Power only half the time due to loadshedding in Ktm, but there is always some light.While there, went to check out one of the hotels in Thamel that was rated higher on trip advisor for our return, but actually thought KGH was nicer and cheaper, so went back there. Room rates cheaper through travel agent (we used Himalayan Encounters)

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
ShaguniSS, Manager at Kathmandu Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We very much appreciate your good words for our hotel.
Hope you can visit us again soon.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

I enjoyed my stay in the Kathmandu Guest House. The hotel is brilliantly located right in the middle of Thamel and so you couldn't really want for a better location, as its right in the thick of things. My bedroom was on the first floor and, to be honest, it was rather dingy and a bit dank. The room reminded me a little bit of a prison cell and could really have been doing with a lick of paint.
The room, unfortunately, did not have a bathroom as this was down the corridor and again the facilities were not the best maintained. A little bit of TLC would go a long way here.

Beyond the hotel room the hotel itself was lovely and the gardens were particularly nice. The dining area was also fine, but the breakfast was quite pricey compared to the other parts of Thamel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your review of the KGH. We value your opinions very much. Please keep in mind that the KGH has rooms starting from $4 to $180. From the basic to the deluxe. You must have stayed in one of our basic and simplicity rooms. I agree the rooms are just worth their price and they offer nothing more. We keep these rooms for travelers who have a limited budget.
Thanks once again and we are glad you enjoyed the rest of the hotel premises.
we hope to see you soon again.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

I strongly recommend the Kathmandu Guesthouse, perfect for tourist and business travelers. It's located in Thamel, where everything is happening: When I want peace and quiet, I step into the hotel's magnificent garden and I'm in another world. I often take meals there.The rooms are comfortable and meticulously kept. Because I am an author, I use the business center often, open until 12 midnight. Without any reservation, I can say that all the hotel services are outstanding. Any request, speak to Nabin, the front desk manager who goes out of his way to make your stay enjoyable. Depending on your travel style, room prices vary. Whatever room you do choose, will be good value. Book in advance for this popular hotel fills up fast. Advise when you are arriving and the hotel car will pick you up.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Erika F
ShaguniSS, Manager at Kathmandu Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Dear Erika,
Greetings from KGH!!! Thank you so much for your wonderful review. Feels great to hear that you had such a pleasant stay with us.
We will be happy to have you back again, please do come again and enjoy our hospitality!!

Reviewed April 10, 2014

The good:
I stayed at the KGH in May 2012. The hotel is beautiful, in a rustic we-were-built-by-the-british-and-have-been-here-for-100-years kind of way. Great outdoor dining area and, after being in Tibet for 10 days, the best food I could have asked for. Great atmosphere and plenty of fellow travelers. The location in the heart of Thamel is also great. Two sources of power (city and generator for when city power fails) allow the KGH to have power all or most of the day.

The bad... and it was really bad:
My one complaint would be the front desk and their booking assistant. They must have owed someone a guest in the Chitwan region because they sent me to the worst possible place. I was the only guest in the entire hotel, the hotel had no car (I held my bad as I sat on the back of a motorcycle and held on for my life) and there was no where to go from the hotel. Also, the hotel was remote and offered nothing to do other than sit in my room and read my book. Keep in mind that I did not expect amazing accommodations or luxury. The man at the KGH had been doing this a while and should have warned me or told me my options. It was so miserable that I ended up leaving early at my own expense.

Summary:
Great place to stay. I would be very cautious about letting them book a trek or trip for you.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank BryanJohnsonEsq
ShaguniSS, Manager at Kathmandu Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2014

Dear Bryan,
Im glad you enjoyed your stay at the KGH. However, we are so sorry about your bad time in Chitwan. The staff that was in the travel desk last year has been fired as we found out about his misdeeds. We sincerely apologize again for this. We hope you do not judge us due to this staff's misdemeanors.
Hope to see you again in KGH
The KGH Team