“Cozy place in town”

Ranked #35 of 193 Hotels in Kathmandu
London, United Kingdom
“Cozy place in town”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Our trekking company arranged our stay at this hotel as it was inside our package trekking. I am quite impressed with this hotel. The rooms are spacious and luxury style. The garden is peaceful and the meals are tasty. It will be nice place to stay few nights in Thamel. I am not sure about hotels / guest houses but definitely this was a nice one.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank peter_b82760

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed January 19, 2014

After many hours of travel and watching our shuttle driver navigate the loud, busy streets, entering the gates of Kathmandu Guest House brought serenity. Pretty interior garden, nice, clean rooms, and lovely little shops in the hotel made for a very nice experience. The staff was kind and helpful, making it easy to acclimate during our first days in Nepal. Meals were good though the limited breakfast buffet selections began to feel uninspired after a week's stay. It was appealing to have so many stores in walking distance, including a large grocery/convenience store right across the street. Enjoyed the stay and would definitely recommend to others.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Me and my friends stayed here for 4 nights, and we are over all very satisfied!

Good food and exellent service. The garden in the back is the best part - including a little pond and a library. Make sure you taste the iced limonade!

Thanks for a wonderfull stay!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
ShaguniSS, Manager at Kathmandu Guest House, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Hi Peter,
You are right. People often hesitate when its a Guest House...but ours started as a Guest House in 1967 when tourism had just started in Nepal with the backpackers. We are now in the boutique hotel category but have retained the name as its our history!
Thanks for appreciating our property and our services. Do come back for another wonderful experience in KGH and Nepal.
Cheers!!
Kathmandu, Nepal
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Frozen, late, over-worked: and my first night back in Nepal was wonderful. A week later, the welcome mat is still under my feet, and life in Kathmandu keeps getting better. Kathmandu Guest House has given a freelance travel writer more surprise comforts than I can describe. I'd come from six months hard work in the tropics, bringing new assignments and new pressures.

It means a lot, having a hotel staff understand exactly what your schedule is, and without getting in the way, helping you. I routinely wake up at 5 am, or earlier. The first night back, I woke at 5, and the electricity was gone. I stumbled to the front desk, they found the electrician and within minutes and my problems were solved. Then they provided hot drinking water, like they do for all their guests, so I was immediately cozy and happy.

Being a travel writer, I really notice if hotels have adapted to the high tech, constant work schedule that so many of us have now. In the six months that I've been gone, three shining stars at Kathmandu Guest House immediately showed me that they have, definitel, made leaps forward.

First, Dev Dangi, Head of Reservations, worked with me while I negotiated my return tickets and finished up details. My dates kept changing, but he kept track of me and what I needed. He got me my favorite room and notified the other staff. When the date was fixed, he arranged for a free airport pickup: no small thing, when you travel with a complete writing business and a digital piano! His driver told me about the new free wifi. I soon saw that it was a solid, fast connection, too.

My first book was about how innovative Nepalese are in their daily lives -- The Domestic Life of the Nepalese -- so I’m used to noticing lots of details. Kathmandu Guest House's Housekeeping Department is a miracle of efficiency and cheerfulness. One of the new KGH managers, Ms. Narayani Maharajan, was educated in both Nepal and England, and she brings quiet dignity to her work that's hard to describe. She knows her job so well that she sees what we need before we know it ourselves.. I can tell her what my room needs if I'm going to make my deadline, and she immediately gets it done. When my German friend had a problem with her lighting, the electrician was at her door in one minute. They even provide hair dryers and irons, free.

Another 'shining star' is the Front Desk. This includes the Operations people and the bell hops. They explain everything to me, charge my cell phone -- a precious relic from one a far-flung teaching job -- and even my laptop. They relay my friends' messages to me and help me understand the New Nepal. The renovated lobby is a warm place where I unwind and read every evening,

Certainly others have more 'vacation-oriented' needs; and the skilled staff makes them comfortable, too.

Maybe I'm able to work so well at Kathmandu Guest House because they make sure I'm relaxed and well-rested, even while I'm meeting deadlines. They see that I sleep well and use all their new facilities.

Room Tip: Know what you need and learn what department can help you.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Mary Ann D
Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is very Nice! The breakfast is good and the crew is helpful. The backgarden is a very relaxing place with a little cafe. Wifi is avaiable almost everywhere, but you have to log in almost every time you want to use it. The location in thamel is very Nice. It is close to shops and agents you can book trekking, bicycle etc.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
New Delhi, India
Reviewed January 15, 2014

The place to stay in Thamel, Kathmandu! We had a very pleasant stay at this property. The staff is courteous and prompt. The only negative was that the room service and the kitchen closes at 9 pm. So late diners must get out of the hotel to dine after 9 pm. The good news is that there are plenty of good restaurants and night clubs/restaurants a stones throw away. Will I stay here again when in Kathmandu? Definitely!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I was recommended this hotel by a friend and it didn't dissapoint. the rooms are varied with both old and new decor; with/without showers and in two different sections. I was given the choice of a lovely, very large, older studio room with a double bed or a room in the more modern side. The staff were wonderful, helpful and fun.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo