“Start and finish of a brilliant trip”

Kathmandu Guest House
Ranked #35 of 198 Hotels in Kathmandu
Accrington, United Kingdom
“Start and finish of a brilliant trip”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Starting and finishing a three week trip to Tibet the stay at the Kathmandu Guest House was a haven of calm and tranquility and exceeded anything else during the trip. The previous mentions of poor access, no free wifi and "dungeon" rooms could not be further from the truth. Sharing I had a lower ground floor room the first night, and although it had no air-con, did have a fan which proved adequate. Wifi was brilliant throughout the hotel and the service and friendliness of the staff was top class. Would not hesitate to recommend this hotel as it is ideally situated to access nightlife, food and shops... brilliant.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I wish i could have stayed at the place and given some positive review about the hotel. Me and my female friend from Italy arrived late in KTM as our bus was delayed due to a strike. At around 11.30 we arrived at the KTM guest house because we were under impression that our friend was staying there (turns out she was staying at Int Guest house).
When we asked for the Gatekeeper to open the gates, he started speaking in Nepali, not a huge issue, coz lot of folks mistook me for a local due to my tanned skin. The gatekeeper started talking in Hindi (which i understand) that there are no rooms and he cannot give birth to room [sic]. We politely asked him to enquire at the reception regarding the same, but he was adamant on his stance and very rude throughout the conversation.
We had to look for another room and the very next hotel we inquired, took us in. The management might try to brush it off as a security thing of not allowing patron in at night, but leaving the tourists out on their own at night, does not bode very well with their logic. i've had hotels in Tahrir Square (egypt) accepting me at 2.00 am in the night during the revolutionary period. Being in a service industry, i guess the staff at KTM guest house could have been at least courteous when turning away prospective customers. I've travelled to a handful of countries and stayed at few places, but this was the first instance where the staff was being so rude when turning away a prospective customer.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank godspeed4476
California
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I noticed the mixed reviews for this hotel and I believe they are due to the variety of things travelers look for. The garden is lovely and I enjoyed sitting there but I hated the street entrance by all the shops. I didn't feel safe by myself outside the gate. My room was upgraded but not exceptional. I found the breakfast buffet lacking compared to other hotels and yes, it was hard to get a free wifi signal depending on where you are at. I decided to pay for wifi and then, surprise, surprise, the signal was much better.

buckinghamshire
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed at Kathmandu guesthouse on 2 occasions during our trip to Nepal. It is a nice hotel, with kind staff and right in the centre of Thamel. Our first room was very average and definitely not worth the price however, on our second stay we had a much nicer room, so if you stay here make sure you ask for a garden view room. Breakfast was ok and there is free wifi in the lobby.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
PragyaTuladhar, Guest Relations Manager at Kathmandu Guest House, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Friend,
Namaste,

Thank you for your response and your stay with us at Kathmandu Guest House.

You will be glad to know that now we have free wifi everywhere in the hotel. We had been working on it and were not being able to provide it earlier but now our guests can enjoy free wifi anywhere in our hotel premises.

Thank you and we hope to see you again.

Regards,
Pragya Tuladhar
Kathmandu Guest House
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed September 30, 2013

The battle through the narrow and clogged up, polluted Kathmadu streets is worth it when you get to the Kathmnadu Guest House, it really is a haven of calm in what is fast becoming a pretty intimidating and inhospitable city. The KGH serves as a perfect place to prepare for treks or to spend a few relaxing days after the trek, its also well located to spend some time exploring this teeming city. The food is good, the rooms functional, the garden courtyard is really very tranquil and the rooms on this courtyard are the best and among the most expensive, with a/c - many of the other rooms do not have a/c. I suppose certain parts of the hotel are a bit tired, but it has a good supply of hot water, no power outages (while we stayed) and all in all is pretty good, indeed amongst the best around I suspect for the price. The free airport pick up is a real boon as one then avoids the usual hassle, frustration, crush and chaos at arrivals,

Room Tip: Garden court yard rooms are peaceful and have a/c
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DAVID V
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We stayed here for two nights.

1) Each day there was calculated power outages which they claim are due to the city's grid. However, we stayed at another place next door for three nights and didn't have a single outage. They also claim that some rooms have generators which is why the more expensive rooms have 24 hour power. I believe that they shut off the power in certain areas of the hotel in order to save electricity.

2) We left our room at 8AM and put up the sign on door to make up the room and most importantly stock toliet paper and towels. Came back at 3PM and still nothing was done even though room service was sitting next to our door all day.

3) Wifi is NOT free. There is 'free' wifi downstairs in the restaurant but it is painfully slow. If you want real WIFI in your room, you have to pay $1.50/hour.

4) I asked for compensation for not having electricity or room service. They said they could put me in a deluxe room if I paid $30 more... which doesn't make any sense since all I want is electricity to use for my laptop. Then they offered a free $3 meal, to which I asked for two free meals one for myself and one for friend. They said no.

3 Thank dzhang123
Ankara, Turkey
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We stayed there January 2010. Very helpful staff.Although plane was 6 hours late they picked from the airport . Good location but poor rooms. Good food reasonable prices. Needs maintenance. Hope that they have done so. Rooms looking towards the garden are more preferable because of the sun during January.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family