“overpriced,noisy” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #35 of 194 Hotels in Kathmandu
TJNOMADI
“overpriced,noisy”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

due to being unwell i was desperate to find a quiet room,i was willing to upgrade my budget, so i took a room at KGH for 2 nites, well,let me say this place is usually loaded with young package students,and they had renovations bangin all day when i was there
For the price of the room u would think wifi would be included-NOPE! They have token cards where u have to pay 125 rupees an hour to use wifi in the room..wowsa..
restaurant staff are not friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Tjgnosis
Pragyatuladhar, Guest Relations Manager at Kathmandu Guest House, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Friend,
Namaste,

Thank you for your stay at KGH and your review. We are sad to hear that you did not have a pleasant stay with you.

The renovation work is being conducted to make our rooms better and we we do that only in the day time. The renovation for most of our Standard and Garden Facing rooms are almost over. We hope you give us a second chance, we will make sure you get a pleasant stay.

Apologies once again from us.

Kathmandu Guest House

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
North Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

May 2013 was my third visit to the Kathmandu Guest House and each time was fabulous. I use the hotel for myself and my clients before and after every Everest Base Camp tour. I have stayed in almost every style of room and each one has been lovely, clean and comfortable. My favourites are the garden view rooms even though the new wing is first class. The staff are incredible, from the cleaning staff right up to the managers and owners. They make my life so much easier when I visit Nepal and I wouldn't stay anywhere else! Thank you! Natural Trekking Tours

Room Tip: The garden view rooms are delightful.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Pragyatuladhar, Guest Relations Manager at Kathmandu Guest House, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Friend of KGH,
Namaste,

Thank you for your stay at KGH and your review. We loved serving you and your friends and we are all smiles here reading this review.

We are glad you always stay at KGH, whenever you are in Kathmandu and we will make sure you always have a comfortable stay every time.

See you soon!

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have just come back from a 3 week stay in Nepal and spent my last 3 nights in Kathmandu guest house. From the moment we arrived I felt at ease, they nicest, most accommodating staff I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. I had hurt my ankle in Kathmandu and they provided me with crutches and a ground floor room for an extremely reasonable price. The hotel itself is an oasis of calm and the spa is extremely affordable with fantastic staff. I had a very relaxing head massage on my last day that I'll remember for years. The manager Nabin deserves the highest praise for his constant smile and easy going way with the customers. I cannot recommend this hotel enough!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank LauraBeans
Pragyatuladhar, Guest Relations Manager at Kathmandu Guest House, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Laura,
Namaste,

Thank you for your stay with us at KGH and your wonderful review. We are happy happy that you enjoyed your stay.

Our colleague, Mr. Nabin thanks you and sends you his regards. We always try to make sure that each and every guests of ours feel comfortable and enjoy their stay.

Thank you and see you soon!

Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

KGH is an institution and rightly so. I stayed here for a few nights at the start and also the end of a top trip around Nepal.
I stayed in two different rooms. Both were lovely and clean. One had the quietest aircon I've ever experienced. Breakfast was good, although similar each day - although there was loads of variety to go at - just try something different each day. Sadly there wasn't any dinner available as the kitchen was being refitted.
The garden was a world away from the madness of Thamel.
All the staff seemed quite friendly and helpful - without a doubt though, both Uttam and Nabin were totally fantastic - nothing was too much trouble and they made us all feel really welcome.
There is clearly a large amount of diversity in the rooms and as such the clientele, but most folk I witnessed or spoke to were lovely. There did seem to be quite a lot of secondary school groups stopping over, but all were well behaved and sensible. I guess it's just that time of year.
I've stayed in a few high end hotels in Kathmandu before, but I certainly prefer KGH.
Highly recommended - I shall certainly stay here again when I'm next in Kathmandu.

Stayed July 2013
Dear Friend,
Namaste,

Thank you for your review and stay at KGH. We are glad you loved it and hope to see you soon too.

We are sorry you could not enjoy dinner or lunch at our restaurant, as we are renovating our restaurant. The new and spacious restaurant will be ready in a week or two for better serving our guests. :) In your next visit, you will love the new look and we are sure will find better/faster service.

Thank you and see you soon!

Southport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

I stayed here both before and after an Everest base camp trek. The hotel is based right in the heart ot the tourist district, Thamel, with great access to shops, bars and restaurants. The hotel itself is a little tired and could do with a sprucing up. The buffet breakfast was great and we also had an evening meal here one night which was lovely. The staff were very helpful. Overall a welcome resting place.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back annex were a little noisier than those in the main hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Friend of KGH,
Namaste,

Thank you for your stay with us at Kathmandu Guest House and your review at Tripadvisor. Glad you enjoyed it.

As our older part of the hotel, the heritage wing is a Rana Palace turned hotel, we time and again try to maintain it. Therefore, this year we have renovated most of our Standard and Garden Facing rooms. The newly renovated looks great. I am sure you will love it when you come back at KGH.

Have a wonderful time ahead and see you soon!!

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

I stayed here for a few days before and after my Everest Basecamp Trip. The Lobby & Gardens are nice. Its in a good location- right in the heart of the Thamel District. I had breakfast and dinner in the restaurant downstairs and the food was good. Be aware of Taxi`s which park inside the Hotel gates as they tend to rip you off ( This happened me twice)- where I had agreed a price before departing the hotel and they tried to charge me more when we reached the destination. Overall an enjoyable stay and well needed rest after the Trek!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Laura87130
Pragyatuladhar, Guest Relations Manager at Kathmandu Guest House, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Dear Laura,
Namaste,

KGH family would like to thank you for you stay with and your wonderful comment. :)

We also would like to apologize for the unpleasant experience with our Hotel vehicles that did not behave right with you, this normally does not happen, but as it has, it is a shame for our Hotel. Hence, a quick meeting will be called with them and will be strictly advised to behave with our guests.

Thank you again and hope to see you soon at KGH.

Bangkok
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

This hotel is on a lot of land, good location if you like that part of Katmandu, but over the years it has declined in every aspect as far as a hotel goes.
The service is poor, the food also poor as is the general service in the hotel - there are better places to spend your money for accommodation in Katmandu.
I think it is a typical example of poor management and accountants taking over what should be a landmark hotel in this city. The staff are poor in their duties.
Pity as it could be so much better.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Tony R
Dear Tony,
Namaste,

Kathmandu Guest House family would like to thank you for your stay with us.

We apologize as you did not have a pleasant stay while at KGH. Us, KGH family alway strive to give our best, but we could not deliver that in your case.

We will make sure, given another chance, that you will have a wonderful stay. Hope to have you again.