“Love the KGH!”

Ranked #35 of 202 Hotels in Kathmandu
United States
“Love the KGH!”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Just love staying here, it's so old school hip, feels like everybody's who's anybody . . . good people watching. Lovely gardens, the only oasis in Kathmandu? Well, that is besides that famous place where you pay admission we went to I can't remember the name of for a small $25 lunch. Just go to KTM Guest House instead. The location is "it" feels like headquarters. Good spot for making tourist plans too. Staff great, no, make that wonderful, especially Nabil and the manager (sorry, not sure I got his name. Suggest bar Tom and Jerry's across the street and also the Italian restaurant. Easy to find everything -- Norhfield's for food too -- it's all good, it's all great fun once you get over the culture shock (easy!) If you are traveling alone this is THE place to stay.

Room Tip: Try to get floor #2 on the garden with your own deck. Watch out for rooms over the cafe out in front...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RenegadeRetiree
Pragyatuladhar, Guest Relations Manager at Kathmandu Guest House, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Kathmandu Guest House would like to thank you for your review. Our Colleagues, Mr. Nabin and Mr. Uttam sends you their warm regards. :)

Yes, as KGH caters to wide variety of guests, even if you are traveling alone you can make great friends and fellow travelers here. We are glad you loved your stay and we hope to see you again soon.

Kathmandu Guest House

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Settle, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I've used the KGH regularly over the past 25 years, and this April's visit was particularly memorable. On arrival we had tolerable rooms in the wing at the rear of the garden, but on our return had the delight of rooms in the new block. Excellent !
Talking with some of the staff I get the impression that the hotel is making a real attempt to improve. Reception staff were efficient and friendly, the rooms were clean, and the new foyer and rooms above are superb.

Room Tip: You tend to get what you pay for !
1 Thank Alanyeti
Kathmandu Guest House would like to thank you for your review and your constant support. Wow! 25 years, you are Family for us. :)

We hope we can always serve you and make you feel home here at KGH in coming years as well. KGH staff thank you again and hopes to see you soon.

Ocean Shores, NSW, Australia
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Kathmandu Guest House keeps growing but somehow manages to make you feel special. Despite the hundreds of guests clamouring for services, any request is dealt with promptly and efficiently. We were allocated a room which opened out on to a back street and which proved noisy. We asked to be relocated and we were upgraded to a superior room at no extra cost (albeit up five floors up with no lift). The courtyard is a terrific meeting place, but the drinks are expensive. Always take into account the 23 percent taxes everywhere in Nepal. It can really hurt. The central garden is what makes KGH stand out: a necessary oasis in the increasingly mad Thamel district. KGH provides airport pick-up, but you have to make your own way back to the airport. However, transport is on tap within the grounds, and you can organise a trip anywhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden view or a quiet room
1 Thank BFC51
Pragyatuladhar, Guest Relations Manager at Kathmandu Guest House, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
KGH would like to thank you for your wonderful write up here. We are glad you loved your stay and the upgrade.

Yes, the taxes 10% Service Charge and 13% Vat are always there. That is the standard norm in Nepal, especially in our service industry. Also, yes, our airport pick up is free from the International Airport to the hotel but however, there is a nominal charge for the drop off.

Thank you once again and hope to see you soon at KGH.

Devon, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2013

didn't have high hopes when we arrived in kathmandu but the kathmandu guest house was like a breath of fresh air. the gardens were beautifully kept and the outdoor bar/restaurant was reasonably priced and comfortable with good service. good value buffet breakfast. our room was on the second floor and overlooking the garden. there was no wardrobe which didn't bother us, the beds were comfy and the shower was hot. lovely.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kathmandu Guest House would like to thank you for your comment. KGH team are really happy that you had a wonderful time at KGH and that you loved our garden to the fullest.

Hope you come back soon and enjoy your time here with us. Thank you again and see you soon.

Scotland
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We spent our last three nights in Nepal in this Guesthouse. Having had a poor experience at another hotel, we walked in and asked for two garden facing rooms. Although the hotel was very busy, the manager managed to juggle things so that ourselves and our friends had rooms close to each other on the ground floor facing the garden. The room was expensive by Thamel standards ($60 a night with breakfast) but worth it. The garden is peaceful and the whole hotel feels very relaxed. My wife enjoyed a treatment in the spa and the free internet access allowed us to sort out plane tickets. It is clear from other reviews that there are many different kinds of rooms nd not all are recommended. We thoroughly enjoyed our garden facing rooms and would have no hesitation in recommending them for anyone looking for some peace and quiet in Thamel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Kathmandu Guest House would like to thank you for your comment. We are glad you loved your stay at our Garden Facing room at KGH.

Our garden is a calm oasis in the heart of busy Thamel crowd. Therefore, our garden facing rooms are on of the most loved rooms at Kathmandu Guest House.

We thank you again and hope to see you soon at KGH.

Alice Springs
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Shame I wanted something special for my last night after a month in Nepal. I had heard stories of messed up bookings so to make sure I went in and made the booking in person. When I arrived on the day time I had said I was shown a very below average room with no facilities and not the garden room I had booked. I was just told they over booked and this was it take it or leave it and walked off. As it was in the evening and I had just got a taxi from another hotel to get there I did not have the time or energy so had to accept it. It seems this is really the normal practise here to keep taking bookings and worry about where to put people later. Its a real shame as after many great adventures in Nepal this was the only thing to not go as promised. Think they really need to work on theri booking system as it is ruining the name of what use to be a fine hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank DesertDweller10
Kathmandu Guest House would like to thank you for your comment and also would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused while your stay with us.

We always try to make sure that there should not be any problem for any of our guests at our hotel. However, we failed to do this in your case.

We are sorry once again and hope you give us one more opportunity to serve you and we will make sure that you have a wonderful time.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2013

When you read this please take into account I have been coming to Nepal since 1998, have stayed at KGH three times before and this was my fourth visit, so I am not writing as an inexperienced or easily disturbed traveller by the difficulties of travel in Nepal.
As it was trekking season I had booked months in advance, only to turn up after a long and tiring 24 hour journey, to be told the garden facing room booked by me months ago (and a similar booked for a friend) was not available.
"We're full. It's trekking season."
"Yes, that's why I booked in advance and sent you a reminder which you replied to confirming the rooms."
So clearly the room had been given to a walk in and the booking meant nothing. We were shown two of the worst rooms you could imagine instead-mine overlooked a brick wall and my friends twin smelt so damp she refused to stay. On telling them we would go elsewhere they put us at the top in two adjoining rooms which we took as were late and tired, for the two nights. My friend does not like sharing so that was not really a solution as far as she was concerned, but we stuck it out rather than look elsewhere with limited time available for moving Hotels at that point - not factored into the trip time wise. The other problem, because it was the weekend was the noise from the adjoining Thamel Disco. It was far worse than my visit 5 years before as it was an insistent beat that went on late into the night. As we were at the top the sound seemed to come directly into the room so if you are tempted to book a suite at the top of this Guest House you have to avoid weekends or you will not sleep.
When we went out to breakfast there were flies all over the cereal in the outside uncovered cereal containers so ate elsewhere, despite the breakfast being included. My cheap Guest house in Pokhara had covers for their inside cereal containers so I cannot see why the restaurant was so lax as I know you can buy containers with turning lids for easy access that are also hygienic.
I cancelled my booking for what would have been my fifth visit at the end of my trip in April because I had no trust or belief there would actually be a room and could not face such an unpleasant experience again at the end of a long journey. You need somewhere reliable that respects your booking in those circumstances and this is clearly no longer that place. I had read the reviews of many saying the same thing which I had disregarded, having a happy memory and affection for the place, but I now realise the same truth - booking in advance means nothing to this Guest House, nor does being a return guest, so my visits to it to stay are well and truly over. We went back in to visit a shop on our return and it was as busy as usual so will always be popular due to its position in Thamel, but you cannot rely on their booking system or sleep well at weekends which, in addition to the lack of respect to a return Guest, means I have to give it the lowest rating.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Hilary B
Kathmandu Guest House family would like to apologize for the bitter experience you faced during your latest visit.

It is definitely a shame that we could not have you leave happy this time and we are also sorry you had problems with the booking. It should not have happened.

We assure you that it will not happen in the future.

Thank you and hope to have you back!