Kathmandu Guest House
Deutsch Home(Kathmandu)
  • Room Service
Hotel Api(Kathmandu)
1,356 results
All reviewsan institutionnew wingan oasisbeautiful gardendeluxe roomthamel districthotel groundsthe hustle and bustletravel desktourist areadurbar squarehot waterhearttrekbudgetsatmchaos
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Last week was my third stay at the guesthouse in five years. We really love the hotel. It is quite quirky but still a little oasis in the bustling heart of Thames. It is the first time we have seen the new extension and in fact experienced it first hand. This now provides a higher quality of experience for those not returning to hose themselves down after a trek.
Well done to the hotel and staff.

Room Tip: Be clear about the purpose of your visit
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Johnjomorgan
Pragyatuladhar, Guest Relations Manager at Kathmandu Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Kathmandu Guest House thanks you for your wonderful words. We are really happy that you have been visiting us for the past five years. We are grateful to you and would like to see you again and again in the near future as well. Yes, the new wing extension has give our guests a choice to stay luxuriously and also not forgetting our other choices of rooms as well including the budget ones. Thank you again and hope to see you soon!

Reviewed March 17, 2013

My two friends and I stayed here for a week off and on in December 2012. The staff were extremely attentive and efficient and the guesthouse surrounds and garden a lovely respite from the enthusiastic sellers out on the street.. There was no problem storing our packs while we were off trekking. There's always a lovely nook to relax, read, swap stories.That said the rooms were very tired looking and did not offer a really quiet haven either from neighbours or from music pumping from nearby bars. We loved the history attached to this place, it's a bit like an old family friend... You feel affection for its history and age and forgive its faults. Location can't be beaten with easy access to all the usual shopping, bars, restaurants. Every request can be catered for from money exchange to laundry to transport. Eating outside of the guesthouse is much cheaper.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Pragyatuladhar, Guest Relations Manager at Kathmandu Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

Kathmandu Guest house would like to thank you for your comment. We are glad you loved your stay with us except the few problems you faced. Being located in Thamel as a landmark is one of our biggest asset, however, it could get a little noisy from the outside bars that go on until about 10 or 11 pm. But most of our rooms are affected by this noise. Regarding our rooms in our Heritage building we have already renovated our Garden Facing Rooms and most of our Standard rooms as well. You will see a lot of positive changes when you stay with us on your next visit :). Thank you again for your stay and hope to see you soon!

Reviewed March 11, 2013

The KGH is in a really good location, right in the middle of Thamel (as long as being in the tourist town is what you want). The hotel is really easy to find, both on foot and by taxi. I had a standard room in the older part of the hotel. It was ensuite, had twin beds and a small colour TV which showed US cable shows. The bathroom and bedroom were really tired, but were clean and simple, so I had no complaints. As a solo female traveller I felt safe in the hotel, and my room felt secure.

You have to pay for wifi and as I was staying in Kathmandu for two weeks I got a 24 hour access voucher, where you log in and log out each time you want to use it, so I used it for a couple of hours per evening, for work. I found the signal to be really good, and reliable. However, there are also cafes nearby which have free wifi, so you might want to check that out first. I found the garden was a really nice quiet place to sit and read. They have a covered area with a small library of books, and you can get bar service outside as well.

I only ate breakfast at the hotel, as there are so many other places to eat lunch and dinner nearby.

Some of the more upmarket hotels have generators, so the rolling power cuts don't impact their customers, but if you accept this as a fact of life that most people in Kathmandu go through and have a book, laptop, or just go out for a drink when the power cuts happen, then it isn't too bad. Also, the front desk can tell you when the power cuts are planned, as they get a schedule, but sometimes the schedule is wrong, and the load shedding happens at different times or on the upside is mercifully much shorter than advertised.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Pragyatuladhar, Guest Relations Manager at Kathmandu Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

KGH would like to thank you for your stay with us and your wonderful detailed review. We really appreciate it. KGH has definitely become a landmark in Thamel and we are very proud to be the pioneer in Thamel. Yes, there are some problems we face due to power cuts, which we including all the Nepalese are facing. However, even in that situation we at KGH try and provide various services so that our Guests dont have to go through a lot. We are thankful to you and all our guests for understanding this issue and corresponding along. Thank you and hope to see you soon again.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

I recently traveled to Kathmandu for work and our company's partner organization recommended we stay at Kathmandu Guest House. It was my first time in Kathmandu and the short stay at Kathmandu Guest House helped made the trip a memorable one.

The hotel used to be a Rana mansion. (The Rana dynasty ruled the Kingdom of Nepal from 1846 until 1951). Much of the original structure still exists. It has a nice courtyard and garden where you can just find a corner to read, write, have coffee or chat with friends. The rooftop gives a view of the surrounding neighborhood and a mountain range. The front desk staff is generally friendly. Look for Uttam, who is the most friendly to everyone.

The hotel has different room options. Room rates ranged from the affordable to the more expensive ones.. The room I got was a Standard Room, which was about US$40 a night. I stayed in 410. The room had three single beds, a TV, a halogen heater, hot/cold shower, dresser, chair and table. I had the basics that I need so I was definitely happy.

What I also loved about KGH was its location. It is smack right in the middle of tourist central Thamel. This meant easy access to shops and restaurants. :)

I would definitely want to stay again in this hotel on my next visit to Nepal.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank clayman79

Kathmandu Guest House would like to thank you for your review about us. We are really happy that you had a memorable trip to Nepal. Mr. Uttam Phuyal says thank you and sends his regards and the whole KGH family would also like to thank you and hope to see you soon at KGH again.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

I stayed here for three nights in March. Well located in the heart of Thamel (tourist central) I was really pleased we choose this hotel. The hotel has some lovely gardens and a nice outdoor restaurant. Our room was modern and really comfortable with a nice balcony overlooking the gardens. Note, you should check which category of room you get - some of the older rooms are looking a little tired but the hotel is upgrading rooms all the time so this may change. The staff are really friendly and very helpful. Thoroughly recommended.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a modern room
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank LondonBlinker
Pragyatuladhar, Guest Relations Manager at Kathmandu Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2013

Kathmandu Guest House thanks you for your wonderful words. KGH team thanks you for your stay and wishes a wonderful time ahead. KGH is definitely a historic Rana Palace turned Hotel and now a landmark in Thamel. Our Garden is a wonderful oasis to relax even in the middle of the crowd. Our Operation Manager, Mr. Uttam Phuyal thanks you and sends you regards. Thank you and hope to see you soon!