“A price for everybody and a central location”

Kathmandu Guest House
Ranked #34 of 207 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Great place centrally located in Kathmandu. There is a room for almost every price range (except luxury), which makes this a sure bet for most people. All rooms are placed around an attractive green and leafy garden. There is also a restaurant, bar and different shops on site. We would most definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MrManOnTheMoon
Pragyatuladhar, Guest Relations Manager at Kathmandu Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

KGH team thanks you for the review. We are glad you loved the stay here. We cater to our guests with our rooms starting from a minimum budget of $2.00 to a luxury stay to splurge in, all in one place. We thank you again and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

The staff of the KGH are very hospitable and they make you feel valued. They are very willing to help you with your trip and are genuinely interested in helping make your stay a pleasant one. Sort of a home away from home.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Pragyatuladhar, Guest Relations Manager at Kathmandu Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

We thank you for the wonderful words and this helps us work even harder in the future to serve our guests in the best way. Thank you for your stay and we hope to see you soon

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Beware of the 'standard' rooms at this large hotel - they are simply terrible, more like basic hostel rooms than anything else. Dark, dingy, cramped and old, if your budget does not extend to the luxury $80 per night rooms, then go stay elsewhere.

The owners need to get a grip and spend some money on maintaining the old wing of this hotel.

This long standing hotel only survives on referred business from organised tour groups,

Enough said.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank mickyjennings

KGH thanks you for comment to us. We always try to give our best service and hospitality. However, when it came to infrastructure of some rooms, we fell short. Therefore, we have already started the renovation for our Standard and Garden Facing Rooms. We are sure at your next visit to KGH, you will find changes in those rooms for you and any of our valued travelers. Thank you and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I spent only two nights in the guest house. One night at the beginning of my trek on the cheaper side and one night after my trek, on the more expensive side. Because I booked my whole trek as a package together with accommodation, I didn’t experience any problems mentioned below when room was unavailable. Perhaps it was also because travel agency I booked the trip with had an office located within the hotel grounds. Clue is in the name and so when it is called guest house, I didn’t expect any luxuries. The room looked exactly as I expected. Old and shabby furniture, old but functional bathroom, but towels were included! Room was really small with small desk and two single beds. Bathroom was also tiny so when I had a shower, toilet got completely wet as there was only shower curtain with a few holes dividing “shower area” from the toilet. I am not complaining here, I am just trying to describe it. I had a good sleep as bed was comfortable enough and the main thing is, it was clean. You can hear some noise from the other backpackers, so if you are light sleeper, bring the earplugs. Please note that electricity is switched off from time to time. My main light and TV was always working but I found out that sockets were without the power. So bare this in mind and do not delay charging your mobiles and cameras.
I came really exhausted from my trek and I decided to upgrade to the nicer side of the guesthouse. I paid around $60 to upgrade. For me personally it was worth the money. I had very nice sunny room with the balcony overlooking the garden. Bathroom was very modern and spotless with walk in shower which I really appreciated after a long trek. Room was just the right size with two single beds. It was really nicely decorated and had flat screen TV, kettle, 2 complimentary bottles of water, with tea, coffee and kettle. It was also much quieter than other side of the hotel. There was no noise from other guests in the corridors.
I dealt with the hotel reception staff only when I upgraded my room and all went smoothly. Location of the hotel is great, in the middle of Thamel area and all the shops and restaurants are walking distance. I also loved the fact that as soon as you get through the gate, it is peaceful and quite. There is a restaurant in the front yard of the hotel but my favourite place was the garden full of flowers. I wish I could spend more days there as I would definitely make a use of it. Oh, and I forgot to mention that airport is 15-25 minutes drive, depending on traffic.
I believe that it wasn’t my last visit to Nepal and I would not hesitate to stay in this hotel again. But you get what you pay for. If I had very tight budget I would not have a problem to stay in a “hostel” side. But I would probably ask for a room with a garden view:-)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank komodo8297

KGH would like to thank you for your review. As our rooms start at a budget level to luxury level all at one place, it gives a choice to our guests to choose according to their travel budget. We are also renovating most of our rooms in the older section of the hotel to provide better accommodation and service to all our current and future guests. We thank you again and hope to see you soon at KGH

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I go to Nepal annually and have stayed at the Kathmandu Guesthouse on at least a dozen occasions. I like the place very much, but they really need to sort out their booking system. On three occasions my room has already been given away and I have either had to stay elsewhere or in a downgraded room (for example over the front courtyard, where hearty-party noise continues until aftermidnight, or the racket from the local nightclub goes on interminably) . This isn't what you want after a day or two of travelling. It is increasingly becoming a destination for school parties and big tour groups which now seem to take precedence over loyal customers. I suppose all good things must come to an end...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank ForbesG
Reviewed January 6, 2013

After staying on one guesthouse and then a small hotel close to the first guesthouse we decided to "treat" ourselves to a post-trek hotel in Kathmandu for several nights. Talk about "disappointment". It wasn't the $60.00/night cost, but the cost without any of the trimmings. Our room overlooked the garden, but came without power most of the day, sockets that did not work, no internet. Imagine in 2012-2013 no internet without additional cost. Yes, there was fee internet in the small cafe at the entrance of the hotel, but the connection slower than "dial-up". Staff were moody and not so keen to deal with problems. I left 10-hours before my wife and said, "Pen - please take the day and look for another hotel for when we return". Believe me, the warm, friendly stays we had at the two previous guesthouses were so much better despite being one to two star places and a fraction of the price. Gracious people, always friendly, full of advice - that's what you need, but won't get at Kathmandu Guest House unless something changes.

Room Tip: I guess, pay more, but if you look elsewhere you'll be much happier and likely rewarded for what...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ClimbngShuksan

KGH team would like to thank you for your review. It is indeed sad that your experience while with us was not good. We strive our best to provide the best service to our guests in every way. However, we could not please you in this case, which we highly apologize for. We will work harder to perform better today and in the future to give our guests the utmost service level. Thank you again and we hope to see you at KGH and give us a second chance.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We were booked in to the legendary Kathmandu Guest House by a Nepali colleague, and were told we'd be met at the airport and well looked after during our stay.

The Guest House could not find our reservation when we arrived, but gave us a room. Given their chaotic paper record keeping (see more later) this was not a surprise.

For our $80/night we were put in an aging en-suite room in the old wing one would pay $20/night for anywhere else in Asia. Yes, we had a balcony and lovely view of the garden, but the furnishings and carpet had decades of hard wear. We had hot water only in the afternoons. Electrical outlets were loose, and the power flickered regularly. We had a few brief outages - surprising for a hotel that claims to have a generator. Use of Wi-Fi was charged at a ridiculous rate - it was cheaper to go buy a 3G SIM card from NCell than to use it a service other hotels and restaurants in Thamel provide for free.

Breakfast was abysmal. On the two mornings we ate in there were insufficient seats, silverware, staff, and food. Unseated patrons roamed around the outdoor dining area like hawks, swooping down on tables as soon as diners put down their forks. What food we could get was cold.

It was recommended to us to use the hotel travel desk to book a bus to Pokhara from Kathmandu. The desk attendant was rude, uninformed, and insisted that the "luxury" bus he was booking us on was the best available way to get to Pokhara. He must have been on the take, as the bus was abysmal and on the road we were passed by all manner of newer, cleaner vehicles. The trip took eight miserable hours. (We returned via Buddha Air on a 25 minute flight and can highly recommend their service.)

We had a parcel come from overseas while we were staying at the guest house - a replacement part for equipment required on our trek. The hotel front desk twice turned the courier away saying we were not staying at the hotel. After our check-in, and with all of our details recorded by the hotel (a second time apparently), the front desk still insisted we were not staying with them. With eighteen hours before our scheduled departure and numerous phone calls between the hotel and courier agency, they (DHL) were persuaded to send a driver out a third time. I spent my last afternoon and early evening in Kathmandu hanging around the hotel lobby waiting for my parcel.

I saw the new wing of the hotel, but with a lost (or discarded) booking it wasn't available to us. Two staff in particular were helpful, but this was balanced out by dozens more who had obviously had no concept of customer service, at all.

Nepalese hotels are not known for their comfort or brilliant customer service, but Kathmandu Guest House was particularly bad. Compared to the three other hotels we stayed in during our 3.5 weeks in Nepal, it was the worst of a generally average lot.

Room Tip: If you end up at the Kathmandu Guest House and they won't give you a room in the new wing, walk...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jonathan B

KGH would like to thank you for your review. We apologize for the problems and inconvenience caused while staying with us. It is shameful for us as we could not let you leave happy after your stay. However, we take this opportunity to act better and make necessary changes for the betterment in the future. Thank you again and hope to see you soon.