“nice garden, clean parking so I love that”

Kathmandu Guest House
Ranked #38 of 207 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed November 23, 2011

i really happy to found this hotel, so I would like to visit again with my friends and family so i will go there in 2012 for two weeks .

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Kathmandu Guest House

Reviewed November 22, 2011

the hotel has a great location. The staff was not so friendly, the food was ok, but service was not so good. The cocktails were nice, but not outstanding
the bathroom was clean, but old, towels were old, toilet was very old. But good hot water.
I think it;s overrated. there must be other hotels with the same price which would be better

Room Tip: facing the garden, with private bathroom
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Roos1911
Reviewed November 16, 2011

This would be the place if you're looking for a hotel with charming characters rather than bland western hotels.
Location of this hotel is in the heart of Thamel district yet the hotel is set well back from the main street with a nice courtyard restaurant in front which is attractive and inviting amid the chaos nearby. There's also a beautiful garden at the back that offers much peace and tranquility. (On our first day of arrival it was very quiet but there were party noises from the hotel next door for the two mornings we were there).
However, because his hotel was built long ago, individual rooms are old and basic but kept fairly clean except for the bathroom which should be updated. The room rates are higher than similar rooms elsewhere but guests can enjoy the nice common areas and the garden. A variety of room types and rates are available so be sure to ask to see the room before committing to one. It's worth paying the upgrade for a room facing the garden. Buffet breakfast in the courtyard is in a nice setting but food is average and the variety is limited. The internet connection is very slow so it's better and cheaper to go to the internet cafe next door(to the right of the hotel).

Room Tip: Ask for a discount or have buffet breakfast included.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2011

We had reserved rooms for nine people. Upon arrival we were summarily told the rooms were not available. Having to hunt down lodging in a bustling, hot and unfamiliar city was not a pleasant way to arrive after more than a day of travel and with two children in our group. After one night in a wretched hotel, we ended up at the Samsara, which was very pleasant. I will never stay at the Kathmandu Guest House as there are plenty of friendly, nicer places that are also a better value.

Room Tip: Don't stay in any of their rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank pdxhurricane
Reviewed November 8, 2011

No, the rooms aren’t fantastic. Yes, there can be power outages, the internet and food is expensive, but regardless there is something about the KGH that embodies the ultimate experience in Kathmandu. Upon my first trip to Nepal in October of 2006, I walked into the KGH and breathed a sigh of relief. It became my refuge, my base of operations, and even though I didn’t realize it at the time, many lifelong friendships were formed in those gardens. The rooms were a bit surprising, I admit. My very first room in the hotel was number 308, facing the gardens, with paper thin walls, a shower that randomly exploded to life, three single beds and a small tv. It was fine. It wasn’t the Ritz, but then again, I wasn’t in Paris, now was I?
It is best to keep everything in perspective when staying at the KGH. You are not just paying for a room, hot water and a bed. You are also paying to be immersed in the unique experience that can really only be found there. Open up to the possibilities, and truly it is a magical place.
After I moved to Kathmandu, the Kathmandu Guest House became my safety net, my home away from home, where I always seemed to get my best work done, created fantastic memories, and imbibed in far too much Carlsburg for my own good.
This place is an institution. The Sakya family is a remarkable one, and has done a fantastic job of creating an atmosphere conducive to creating memories that last a lifetime. Nabin, Uttum, Dana, Rajendra were always wonderful to encounter and full of ideas. Raj at Gurkha Encounters was also an amazing addition to the atmosphere.
I have been back stateside for a year now, and often times think back to the peaceful gardens, the lively restaurant and my explosive showers. I have no doubts I will go back to Nepal, and when I do, my first stop will be the KGH.

Room Tip: Go ahead and splurge...get a room with a private bath...
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank jillykris
Reviewed November 8, 2011

I booked this property for 5th and 6th November, 11 and after few exchanges of emails, we were told that they will try to accommodation us in the same property or SIMILAR property in Thamel area.

When we reached the hotel, we were told that there is no room available in the hotel and we were provided alternate accommodation in some 3rd class hotel 7 corners, in Thamel at USD 35 + Taxes.

That hotel was not even worth USD 10 per night with no Room service, Telephones, rubbish bed and the bed sheets were not changed for ages. There was no hot water in bathroom as well. On the other hand, we found another hotel in Thamel area itself at 15 USD + Taxes with great facilities.

Needless to say that for the sake of his commission, Mr Dev misguided us and wasted one night of ours.

It was clearly settled that hotel 7 corners will provide Breakfast in the price quoted but to our great surprise, person available at the front desk at the time of check out, charged NP 500 for Puri bhaji as breakfast !

So, I would strongly recommend tourists to stay away from this property and only travel when you have confirmed booking with a proof of reservation, else they like to make fool of their guests.

I will never stay in this property in my life !

Room Tip: Higher floors as this place is too noisy
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank Sanjay G
Reviewed November 6, 2011

I am coming to kathmandu after 25 years. The pictures and memories I had of Kathmandu has been wiped clean by traffic jams and more crowded streets and excessive vehicle movement. Kathmandu has changed but when I entered the gates of Kathmandu Guest House, I was surprised to meet some of the staff was still the same. WOW! People working in same organization for 25 years and later I found there were couple of staff that have been there fore 35 years. I guess the KGH must be doing right for these staff for wanting to stay with them for such a long time. KGH has changed but now its much for better with a fantastic garden and a great resturant. They still had a room for USD 2, I stayed 1 night for nostalgic sake. I felt 25 years younger, THANK YOU KGH for making my trip the most wonderful.

Room Tip: I traveled to NEPAL 25 years ago as a backpacker, this time I am traveling in a different capacity...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo