“An experience not to be missed!”

Kathmandu Guest House
Ranked #36 of 198 Hotels in Kathmandu
England
“An experience not to be missed!”
Reviewed March 16, 2011

KGH is, in fact, a converted palace. The inside decor is a sight to behold and worth a visit even if you do not stay. Talk to Uttam, the accommodation manager. He is a charming man and will do his best to make sure your stay is comforable. The hotel is an oasis in the middle of the glorious chaos that is Kathmandu in general, and Thamel district in particular! A few step and you are in the heart of the tourist area; the moment you have had enough you can withdraw to the comfort of your own palace!
The rooms, to be honest are not grand but rather comfortable and functional; and there can be some noise from the adjoining disco bar - but don't let this put you off! This is a fascinating place to meet all kinds of people off on, or returning from their travels and treks. These folk can provide a wealth of information and advice.
Finally, as the rather deminutive walk of fame evinces, The Beatles stayed here in their hayday. Well reason enough isn't it?

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed March 7, 2011

Stayed here on two separate times end of Jan and in Feb, over a 14 day trip mtn biking trip. Yes this is a 2 star hotel, could be updated, but you get what you pay for. Good location, breakfast is a little repadative. Rooms need work but adequate, cold in Jan & Feb. Usual power outages not alway hot water. Great bike store Dawn till Dusk beside them, very helpful.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2011

I had booked two stays at the Kathmandu Guest House in between a trip to Tibet.
My enjoyment of my first stay was spoilt by hearing arguments between guests and management (in the gardens) as to why on-line bookings had not be honoured. When I left the first time I did attempt to ensure they had my return booking. Despite assurances when I came back they had no record of my booking. I was eventually given a sub standard room (which did not look very inviting) near to what I can only guess was a staff accomodation block. It is a shame as the location was excellent. However I will not be going back.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed February 12, 2011

the staff is incredible. very punctual, the free pick up at airport were waiting for us.
the place is amazing, in tourist district Thamel's very heart, near all the shops and restaurants.
the room is nice, cozy, cable tv, old but cool furniture.
they have everything inside the hotel: travel agency, laundry, shops, barber shop, pay phones, change place. very useful and practical.
we loved the restaurant and spent the new year's eve there, in a special dinner, for a affordable place (little expansive for local pattern, but ok).
the gardens inside and the security is also a plus. for us, the best place to stay.

• Stayed January 2011
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 1, 2011

Run like Fawlty Towers, but with much less humour! They lost my booking (twice!). My room was downgraded from a deluxe room to a basic twin share which was fine as long as I didn't use the bathroom which was filthy and covered in mould.

On my return from a two week trek, my booking was 'lost ' again which meant being downgraded to a very basic room with shared facilities. I couldn't lock my door due to the crooked bolt, which just added to my frustration.

The desk staff were non-apologetic about their stuff-ups and generally un-friendly and disorganised. I don’t recommend staying here. Beats me why it’s on Intrepid’s preferred acomm list. I was one of many guests whose bookings were lost too.

Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank Fran2000_17
Adjuntas, Puerto Rico
Reviewed January 20, 2011

I think this hotel is too popular so everybody wants to stay in it but I can say is a little overrated. Sure it has a nice indoor patio but the rest is nothing special in particular. The first night after some issues I had to stay in a room with no bathroom, fortunately the bathroom on my floor was clean, but no hot water was available. Next day we got our room with a bathroom, well, it was ok but the bathroom looked not so clean…at least I didn’t have to share with the rest of the floor. The internet is a little bit expensive and I think the best thing of this place is the location, but I think there are plenty of places nearby. I’m not sure if I will recommend this place, I just stayed in it because it was part of a package, it wasn’t that bad but I prefer a place less congested!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 19, 2011

I stayed here twice in December 2010, at the beginning and end of my travels in Nepal. I literally just picked the first thing I saw in Lonely Planet and although on both occasions I had made no reservations, there were enough rooms to accomodate me.

The location in the heart of Thamel is perfect, there are two supermarkets on the corner outside and of course thousands of souvenir shops and restaurants on your doorstep also. Taxis are easily hailed on the street, although there are always more expensive taxis in the front driveway of the hotel if you prefer bigger, nicer vehicles.

I stayed on both occasions in rooms in the USD 10-18 price range. I have to admit the first time my room was on the 3rd floor and was not particularly nice but the second time I was on the 2nd floor and it was an big improvement, although I do agree with other reviewers that the rooms are rather tired. But given this is Nepal and I had a limited budget, I wasn't really expecting anything else.

There is a nice little garden at the back of the hotel where you can enjoy some sunshine and quiet, like an oasis in the midst of the hustle of bustle of Thamel. The hotel also has internet facilities and a nice restaurant at the front. The lobby and restaurant are always lively. The main thing for me was how quiet the rooms were given how loud it is on the street, because I really do cherish a good nights sleep!

I found the service to be very good on both occasions. Everybody including the cleaners always said hello and I was able to safely store my luggage with reception on my last day. I found the hotel was charming and had character despite it being a little tired.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo