1,344 results
All reviews old palace converted palace swimming pool rana palace heritage hotel breakfast buffet an oasis egg station nice pool seen better days travel desk the hustle and bustle tucked away beautiful garden thamel area hot water shankar
Reviewed May 25, 2016

single room booked through online portal booking.com for the so called heritage property Hotel Shanker. rooms are not so comfortable and spacious as shown on portal and pathetic room services. unable to connect local calls as instrument provided not functional and even not get repaired after so many calls on reception, came to know once was at reception to clear bill that additional con coll charges added, when requested for local cab more than double amount sought from me as other cabs charges nominal amount. meanwhile some reception/security staff called local meter cab and as informed by driver they are charging additional amount for them as commission which was really shocking for me. even b'fast not served after 10 am due to delay by 15-20 minutes. construction work in progress and later in evening some party going disturbing guests to come out and walk OR smoke. should avoid to choose such poor service provider people who looking only for few perks instead of client comfort

Room Tip: BIG NO for such unprofessional people
  • Stayed: May 2016, traveled on business
P S, Executive Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2016

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Hotel Shanker !

Thank You for taking time to review our property. I would like to personally apologize for the series of unfortunate incidences that you experienced during your stay with us. We continually try to do our very best for all our valued guests, but unfortunately , sometimes we do fail.
I am really sorry that we could not provide you the best comfort that you were looking for. Regarding the taxi service from the hotel, most of the time we recommend our travel desk to arrange for a taxi for our valued guests. We do not suggest guests to take taxi's waiting outside the hotel as their price always fluctuates but if a guest "requests" we do call for a taxi from outside the hotel but we are not responsible for the prices they charge the guests. Our breakfast spread is liked by many travellers and I am very sad to hear that you could not enjoy our breakfast because of the timings. But we serve breakfast from 6:00 Am to 10:00 Am which is a standard timing in any hotels.

I hope that I can convince you to change your mind about another visit to our property. Please reach out to me directly if you would be willing to give us a chance to turn your experience around. It would be such a pleasure to personally welcome you back with better and improved services.

Best Regards,
Prina Shrestha
Executive Manager

Reviewed May 23, 2016

I stayed at the Hotel Shanker for 2 nights recently. Overall, the hotel is ok. Not great, not horrible, but ok. The hotel is located in a quiet part of Kathmandu and well off of the main road. You won't hear any traffic or night clubs here...nice and quiet. The hotel is an old palace so it has a very unique design. They are doing some renovations right now, but it is still quiet at night.

Hotel Shanker is about a 10 to 12 minute walk from Thamel, the popular travel district of Kathmandu that is full of restaurants, travel agencies, bars, trekking shops and more.

My room was a little old and tattered, but still comfortable. Everything worked and the room was generally clean. The WiFi worked very well in the hotel. The breakfast was good with many choices. The staff were friendly and cordial.

Again, Hotel Shanker is ok. If you are looking for a mid-range hotel in a quiet location, it will certainly fit your need.

• Stayed: April 2016, traveled solo
Reviewed May 23, 2016

I stayed at the Hotel Shanker for 5 nights and what a wonderful experience. The rooms were spotlessly clean, bed linen crisp and white and I slept like a baby. The staff in the hotel are second to none. Friendly, helpful and at times, very funny!! The breakfast was lovely each morning and set us up for the day. I ventured into the pool once during my stay but as it's not heated it was a little chilly.

I would highly recommend this hotel and I will be checking in again when I return to Kathmandu!!

• Stayed: May 2016, traveled with family
P S, Executive Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2016

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Hotel Shanker !

Thank you for sharing your experience to other trip advisor travellers. We are happy to learn that you found our rooms spotlessly clean and crisp ben linen. How wonderful to hear that you loved our team - we think they are great, but it's so good to hear from a guest!
We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed May 19, 2016

A great location just a 10 min walk from the main tourist area of Thamel. Set inside it's own landscaped grounds so you're not disturbed by the noise and bustle of the street. Good choice of nearby restaurants, clinics and shops. The staff are very warm and welcoming. After the earthquake last year, a major part of the hotel is undergoing reconstruction and renovation but there isn't any significant noise to speak of that would disturb guests.

• Stayed: May 2016, traveled with friends

Greetings from Nepal !

Thank You for taking time to review our hotel in trip advisor. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay thoroughly. We hope to welcome you back soon in the near future.

Happy Travels !

Reviewed May 18, 2016

The staff in this hotel are all friendly and helpful. The room I had was well equipped and had an efficient and quiet air conditioner. The grounds are lovely and the pool is great. I'd love to come back when they have completed the repairs needed after the earthquake. This didn't affect my stay but did mean the view of the hotel was spoiled. I chose this hotel because I wanted somewhere to relax after a trek and it was exactly right.

• Stayed: May 2016, traveled solo
P S, Executive Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2016

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your kinds words and the time you took to share them with us. It is great to hear, that you have enjoyed your stay with us. . Please do not hesitate to contact us directly for your next visit in order to arrange all you reuqest prior to your arrival.

Happy Travels !