Hotel Shanker
$101
$91
$140
$119
Hotel Yak & Yeti(Kathmandu)
$163
$21
$135
  • Pool
1,281 results
All reviewsold palaceconverted palaceswimming poolrana palaceheritage hotelearthquake damagebreakfast buffetan oasisseen better daystravel deskthe hustle and bustlenice gardencomfortable staythamel areahot waterkuntishankar
Reviewed November 3, 2013

On the left side of the hotel there is a restaurant with EXCEPTIONALLY LOUD music!!! The sad think is that they still give the corresponding rooms, facing the restaurant, to the travellers resulting sleepiness nights... During my stay at least 8 rooms had the same problem.
The hotel just looks luxurious but it is not really for high expectations. For trekking travellers it is ideal (but very expensive since they are much cheaper alternatives) for posh travellers definitely not good. The rooms are in general relatively dark and windows very small. Furniture and bathrooms very old fashioned rather than traditional. The general staff is relatively friendly (expecting ALWAYS BUT ALWAYS some tip in a very annoying manner) and the staff in the reception is rather cold starting to talk Nepalese among them and laughing in case that you ask/say something that they find strange (such as changing your room 2:00 in the morning due to the very loud music that makes the window glass trembling...).
Otherwise, the location of the hotel is exceptional (i.e. by foot you can go all over Kathmandu) and very close to the airport. For any complaint the managerial staff is very helpful.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask explicitly for a room in the quiter side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2013

Thank for taking the time to note down an account of your experience at Shanker Hotel. Naturally, I was very dissappointed in learning that we were not able to have satisfied your expectations. While this will not change anything regarding your experience, we would like to let you know that we take guest feedback very seriously and that we are serious about implementing changes that would not repeat such experiences. We are in the process of introducing sound proof windows to ensure quiet nights.

We have noted down your comments regarding the behaviour of our staff with respect to gratuities. Since we have explicitly mentioned that gratuities are prohibited in hotel (since they are already included in the invoice as service charge, by govt rule), guests should not feel obliged to leave any tips.

Nevertheless, I thank you for providing your perspective. I hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the future. Thank you.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

No complaints about our stay the Shanker - staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly, the location in central Kathmandu was good, and the breakfast was superb! Fresh omelette cooked to order, fruits, cereals, juice and more, served in a palace dining room! We were given unlimited free wifi for both our devices too. The room itself was an average size but comfortable and quiet, with a window over a courtyard. The service here more than made up for the basic room decor! We would certainly recommend this hotel for mid- range price ($105US+tax) value.

• Stayed: October 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for reviewing our hotel here.

It was great to know that enjoyed your stay with us on an overall basis and I am glad to know that we were able to have left a favorable impression.

Your comments about the in-room housekeeping issues and the food at the restaurant have been taken up to the management to avoid similar issues in the future.

We hope to welcome you back again sometime in the future.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Situated in a historic building in the centre of Kathmandu, the Shanker hotel is a tired adaptation of a historic building that valiantly attempts to be a 4 star hotel with quite limited resources and style.

One cannot help but wonder what could become of this property with a decent capital injection and a little direction in its possible renovation. What appears to be a 1970's renovation adds layer after layer of paint over some quite wonderful architecture and even signage typography is ugly and could be so much better...

That said, the staff are wonderful - always polite and friendly - that is, except for one incident... In our room there was a large sign reminding us of the importance of putting our valuables in the safe. As always we did this but headed off to breakfast forgetting to lock it. A while later, realising this, we rushed back to the room only to find housekeeping staff finishing off our room and cash missing from the safe.

Of course, it was OUR fault - we didn't lock the safe. But for hotel staff to steal ANYTHING from customers is completely unacceptable and lets down the entire hotel.

So, apart from this hiccup, the hotel is an OK choice for Kathmandu - slightly quirky and in a good location. Just remember to LOCK YOUR SAFE!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Greetings of the day. Thank you so much for having chosen to stay with us on your recent visit to Kathmandu and for providing us with your valuable feedback here on tripadvisor.com.

I was glad to read of your positive words about our staff members. We have noted down your comment about the hiccup regarding the incident in your room. We are investigating this matter to ensure that such instances do not occur in the future so that future guests are not inconvenienced.

We have noted down your comments and we take them into consideration before our future refurbishment. Thank for for having taken the time to note down your comments. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

I booked a 3 night stay at this hotel as a treat following a 12 day trek in the mountains. I ended up only staying 2 nights due to a slight change in travel plans, but 2 nights was fine enough for me.
My positives:
*the pool area is lovely to hang out at after dealing with the chaos of Thamel. The bar makes awesome mojitos and the Dragon Chicken is delish
*I was upgraded to a suite which was huge. The king bed was comfy, the sheets were clean and crisp, and the a/c plus 24 hour room service was great!
*much of the staff, especially the doormen, bellhops and waiters, were very friendly
My negatives:
*I found the a lot of the staff stood around and waited for tips, even when it was obvious I was not intending to tip. (the guy who brought the fruit and chocolates to my room was the worst. This is a welcome gift and to expect a tip for bringing it was ridiculous) I stay in beautiful hotels all over the world and rarely run into this behavior anymore. I'm a generous tipper, but it's the service that dictates the tip, not the fact that you showed up for work! I found this rather tedious during my stay. Plus, what's that 10% "service charge" I paid for on every single bill??

*After dealing with super friendly people for the 3 weeks prior, I have to say that most of the Front Desk staff was borderline rude. I'm sure they deal with jerks all day long but I wasn't one of them and was very surprised when my friendliness was not reciprocated.

I stayed in 3 mid-range hotels in Thamel and honestly, I preferred those to the Shanker. I would only recommend the Shanker a) if you really don't want to stay in Thamel, and b) for the sheer lazy pleasure of hanging out by the pool.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Greetings from Shanker Hotel Kathmandu. Thank you very much for having taken the time to write and post this comprehensive review of your stay with us.

Firstly, it will give me great pleasure to pass on your commendation to our staff members in regards to their friendliness and helpfulness, and especially to the doormen, bellhops and waiters.

Glad to read that you enjoyed our spacious suite and I was very happy to read of your positive feedback in regards to the room amenities.

Of course I will also look into your comments on the ‘not so good’ aspects. We explicity mention in our in-room literature (folder) that there is no need to provide gratuities as service is already included in the invoice as per government rules and regulations. I will look into the behavior reported by you regarding our front desk personnel. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and please accept my apologies.

Again, thank you for your review and for having chosen to stay with us. We truly hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

We stayed at the Shanker for our first trip to Katmandu The hotel is part of a old palace. The rooms are modernized for the most part. The breakfast is a buffet and pretty good. The elevator is a trip though. The buildings hallways radiate history. Be aware of the attempt by a front desk staff member who has his hand out. There is a good restaurant at the end of the street/drive corner at the main street.The pool garden area is nice to have a beer in after shopping all day.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Thank you so much for having taken the time to share your review of our property here.

I was very pleased to read of your satisfaction in the various parts of our property and especially in regards to the service received as well as the quality of our meals. Your comment about the elevator is noted. The management is already in the process of procuring new elevators. Your comment of our team members has been duly noted and further investigation shall be conducted to avoid such instances to recur in the future.

Thank you for having chosen to stay with us and also for your wonderful recommendation of our property. We hope to welcome you back soon.