“Not Value for Money”
Review of Hotel Shanker

Hotel Shanker
Ranked #43 of 207 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This is the third time i am staying in a "palace" in south asia and each time it has been the same story. First if you decide to anyways stay at this hotel please avoid the restaurant. In a place which looks like Miss Havisham's home from Great expectations...the restaurant is even more Havishamish(for a lack of a better word). The rooms are small, very basic, the food terrible and the staff not very much in the Know. I would stay in this hotel if the price is about USD 30 not the kind of money they charge. They dont have a spa on premise(they advertise for a spa in the city). The breakfast spread is very basic. Again as i said its habitable like a basic hotel would be but if you are looking for luxury and size and are willing to pay for it please avoid.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank MohanGK
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Thank you for your review on this platform. I was very disappointed to read of your dissatisfaction with your stay with us. I will discuss your review in detail with our team to pinpoint any potential shortcomings and improve our services and product into the future.

While we may not be a typical chrome and steel type chain hotel that you might be used to, we have taken great efforts to retain our old world ambience that many guests appreciate. Many of our guests in fact appreciate the relaxed atmosphere of our surroundings that evoke a charm of the bygone days.

Your point with regard to the restaurant definitely be looked into to ensure that guests do not feel the same way about it. Infact, many guests rave about our breakfast spread. I will look into this matter to find out what went wrong during your stay.

Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

I Stayed 3 days at Shanker Hotel. The service was excellent and the staff friendly. The room was comfortable, quiet and clean. The bathroom was well equipped and hot water available at any time. Free wifi in the room :)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

The Shanker team appreciates your positive comment in regards to our accommodation and amenities and also our team members that you referred to as being ‘excellent & very friendly’. It is feedback such as this that is very rewarding to them.

Glad you enjoyed our prompt wi fi service.

We look forward welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I was unable to reserve the Shanker Hotel on line but based on all the positive reviews I made the effort to actually go to the hotel to reserve in person for an upcoming week. Much to my amazement I found the staff to be unfriendly, unresponsive and even the reservations manager did not display the gracious manners and accommodating service that I was to expect from a hotel of this level. In fact he could barely communicate with me in English. It was very confusing and the rates and availability kept on changing depending on who I spoke to. The rooms looked comfortable but not outstanding. Despite the beautiful building, the well maintained gardens, the service was so impersonal and disconnected that I left and found a perfectly charming hotel in Thamel where customers were treated as if they really mattered.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mayatravels

After reading your comment I can only apologize for the inconvenience caused on your recent experience at our hotel. I do regret that even after you had pointed out the miscommunication that clearly happened on that day. Unfortunately, we were fully booked when you arrived, and the flash deal that you had requested had expired by the time you checked with us.

For your reference, we have discussed this feedback with our team to address any shortcomings and avoid any similar issues in the future. While this may not change anything about your situation and feeling about your stay with us, hopefully it shows you that we do take guest feedback seriously and improve on any potential shortcomings.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed four days ( three nights) in Kathmandu and we chose Shanker Hotel after reading several reviews on Tripadvisor. We can absolutely confirm that this hotel deserves all the positive judgements we had read. It's a very nice hotel, the room are spacious and clean and the members of the staff friendly, professional and helpful. We had two dinners at the restaurant of the hotel and ate really well. We can really recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Glad to know that you chose to stay with us based on first-hand experiences of fellow travelers. I was very pleased to learn that your stay was a very successful one and that you enjoyed our facilities and services. I do hope that you had a good trip back home and that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here as a group of 23 parents of boy scouts. There was not a single negative comment from any of our group about this hotel and we had 14 rooms booked. Some of the rooms are quirky, with very low, small windows, or steps up to the bed but this adds to the character of this former palace which is set in gorgeous grounds.

We also booked lunch and dinner for the whole party of 60 scouts, leaders and parents and the management took care of it all beautifully. The buffet they provided was excellent with an extensive choice for our ravenous teenagers. Mr Barat was exceptionally helpful.

If you want a generic, cookie cutter American style hotel this is not the place. Live a little and try a truly Nepalese hotel with a local flavor.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear Heather,

Greetings from Shanker! Thank you very much for your great review.

It is positive feedback such as yours that keeps us moving forward and we certainly appreciate your taking the time to share your opinion. Of course, your comment has been shared with Bharat as well as our Chef.

Once again, thank you for staying with us; and I hope that we get the opportunity to serve you once again when you visit Nepal next time.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

For my first trip to Kathmandu and i stayed here for 02nights at Double superior room.
I choose shanker hotel because it's used to be a palace and have a history hotel. Overall this hotel is very good , room is big and also very clean.
and i spend my lazy day at their garden... very nice and good view garden.
And also i have to thank you for the manager (front office) who's handle me when i check in.he told me the historical of Shanker hotel and i appreciated.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Greetings from Shanker Hotel Kathmandu! Thank you very much for your great review.

It is positive feedback such as yours that keeps us moving forward and we certainly appreciate your taking the time to share your opinion here on tripadvisor.com. Of course, your review has been shared with the team.

Once again, thank you for staying with us again.

Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here before, during and after a tour to Tibet with a major UK adventure travel company. I actually stayed here 7 nights in total and found the hotel staff very friendly. Breakfasts are good with eggs, letters, pancakes cooked fresh and I found the restaurant staff very attentitive, unlike some previous reviews. Maybe it was out of trekking season and so quieter? I enjoyed my stay!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank debsjlee

Just a short note to say thank you for your review on this online reviewing platform.

Your comments particularly in regards to the helpfulness of our team members will certainly be shared with all staff members.

Thank you for staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.