“Good Decision!”

Ranked #37 of 198 Hotels in Kathmandu
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
“Good Decision!”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

On behalf of my childhood friends and their spouses, I would like to express my profound and sincere appreciation for the quality of service offered to our group of travellers (6 couples) during the days of our very recent but brief stay at the Hotel Shanker in Kathmandu. Despite the few other offers that I had received from other hotels, I decided, on behalf of the group, for this hotel not only because of the very good deal on the offered price, but also because of the heritage and history of the building (I was entrusted with the responsibility of confirming the travel arrangements like hotel/transport, etc., and to be honest, I am a sucker for these kind of buildings/hotels!).

It was a good decision! We all immensely enjoyed the peace and quiet offered in all the facilities of the hotel. This definitely added to the excellent service of all the staff, allowing us to explore the many tourist spots in and around Kathmandu, without having to worry at all about discrepancies and discomforts at our place of stay.

We had a marvelous stay. Wonderful interiors, very good service and some pleasant dining too!

I will definitely recommend the hotel to friends and family, and I’m sure if and when I am back again next, I’ll be looking forward to a further stay.

Thank you all at the hotel for making our brief stay pleasantly memorable.

Room Tip: All of us stayed in Standard Double Rooms which we found to be more than adequate. The ratings for t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Glad to know that you decided to stay with us among all other possible locations. We are also happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us thoroughly and appreciated all aspects about our hotel! Thank you for your marvelous recommendation and I do hope to welcome you back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
London, England
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Really nice hotel with totally unique architecture that adds to a very hospitable atmosphere and very comfortable rooms, situated just outside the most touristy part of the city. Nice outdoor pool and relaxation area as well. Can't recommend the Shanker highly enough, and I hope to return again soon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Thank you for your most wonderful compliments. I am glad to know that you appreciated the way in which we have preserved our old world architecture. I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed in Shanker with my Family.
I could see more of Europeans and USA guests. And hence right from the decor to cuisine, everything is suitable to them.
If you are an Indian tourist with conservative touring ideas, you might not find yourself comfortable here.
Location is good. Close to Thamel, the main happening area of KTM.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AvadhootGupte
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for taking time to alert us with your perspective. Our aim is provide the best hospitality to all people. The management was not aware that our hotel was projecting itself in the way you mentioned. Nevertheless, I am happy that you gave us a great quality score. I shall alert the management about this issue. Your feedback is appreciated.
Vancouver
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We had a very positive experience at Hotel Shankar. The rooms we had for our 2 stays were very small, but comfortable. The kept our bags containing valuables during our two treks and everything was safe and sound when we returned. We started at the Hotel Encounter, which is a good place, but it was just too noisy for us. Shankar was quiet and we were still able to walk into town.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank redfury
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
I am very happy to know that you used our free cloak room service. Have noted your suggestions to take your perspective into account. Thank you for taking the time to rate us here on Trip Advisor. Hope to see you around.
Tallinn, Estonia
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stuff is very friendly, pool temp is 18c, pool stuff is also friendly and helpful, hot water by the pool and in the room, room service 24h, good food, location not the best but good enough, medication center is very near, electricity and wifi in hotel all the time. I would highly recommend this hotel! Spa is located in 10min walk away, but you can order it to your room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
We are pleased to see that you took the initiative to upload pictures from your trip into this review! Thank you. Noted that you liked the in-room spa services. I have also noted your comments about the food. We are introducing a revised menu and I will tell the concerned F & B executives to take your suggestion. Hope to welcome you back to our property again!
Utah
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I rate this hotel number one. The location is great. The cleanliness of the rooms and the hotel staff excellant. The check in is quick along with check out and the hotel personnel is more than willing to help with whatever you may need. Ammenities are as listed and it was nice to be greeted with flowers, chocolate and a bowl of fruit in your room upon arrival.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank LTakala
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
We appreciate your generous accolades! We'll keep trying to do whatever it takes and always take that extra step to make sure that your stay is more than comfortable. Thank you once again and I hope to see you around in our hotel upon your return!
Maienfeld, Switzerland
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I had to stay a couple of days for business in Kathmandu and my partner booked the Shanker for me. This was a great experience and I hope to be back soon.
I especially appreciated the historic building - I guess it is an old palace which is nicely renovated and has been brought in a moderate way to an up-to date standard.
The rooms are nicely furnitured, spacious (ok I got upgraded into a suite :-)) and with appropriated infrastructure to enjoy a nice stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Very happy to know that your partner booked this hotel for you! Appreciate it that you got interested in our old neo classical style architecture and the way that we've adapted it to a modern setting. I look forward to welcoming you back on your next business trip to KTM.