“The Best For Open Minded Indian Families”
Review of Hotel Shanker

Hotel Shanker
Ranked #37 of 198 Hotels in Kathmandu
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“The Best For Open Minded Indian Families”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed in Shanker with my Family.
I could see more of Europeans and USA guests. And hence right from the decor to cuisine, everything is suitable to them.
If you are an Indian tourist with conservative touring ideas, you might not find yourself comfortable here.
Location is good. Close to Thamel, the main happening area of KTM.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AvadhootGupte
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for taking time to alert us with your perspective. Our aim is provide the best hospitality to all people. The management was not aware that our hotel was projecting itself in the way you mentioned. Nevertheless, I am happy that you gave us a great quality score. I shall alert the management about this issue. Your feedback is appreciated.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We had a very positive experience at Hotel Shankar. The rooms we had for our 2 stays were very small, but comfortable. The kept our bags containing valuables during our two treks and everything was safe and sound when we returned. We started at the Hotel Encounter, which is a good place, but it was just too noisy for us. Shankar was quiet and we were still able to walk into town.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank redfury
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
I am very happy to know that you used our free cloak room service. Have noted your suggestions to take your perspective into account. Thank you for taking the time to rate us here on Trip Advisor. Hope to see you around.
Tallinn, Estonia
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stuff is very friendly, pool temp is 18c, pool stuff is also friendly and helpful, hot water by the pool and in the room, room service 24h, good food, location not the best but good enough, medication center is very near, electricity and wifi in hotel all the time. I would highly recommend this hotel! Spa is located in 10min walk away, but you can order it to your room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
We are pleased to see that you took the initiative to upload pictures from your trip into this review! Thank you. Noted that you liked the in-room spa services. I have also noted your comments about the food. We are introducing a revised menu and I will tell the concerned F & B executives to take your suggestion. Hope to welcome you back to our property again!
Utah
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I rate this hotel number one. The location is great. The cleanliness of the rooms and the hotel staff excellant. The check in is quick along with check out and the hotel personnel is more than willing to help with whatever you may need. Ammenities are as listed and it was nice to be greeted with flowers, chocolate and a bowl of fruit in your room upon arrival.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank LTakala
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
We appreciate your generous accolades! We'll keep trying to do whatever it takes and always take that extra step to make sure that your stay is more than comfortable. Thank you once again and I hope to see you around in our hotel upon your return!
Maienfeld, Switzerland
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I had to stay a couple of days for business in Kathmandu and my partner booked the Shanker for me. This was a great experience and I hope to be back soon.
I especially appreciated the historic building - I guess it is an old palace which is nicely renovated and has been brought in a moderate way to an up-to date standard.
The rooms are nicely furnitured, spacious (ok I got upgraded into a suite :-)) and with appropriated infrastructure to enjoy a nice stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Very happy to know that your partner booked this hotel for you! Appreciate it that you got interested in our old neo classical style architecture and the way that we've adapted it to a modern setting. I look forward to welcoming you back on your next business trip to KTM.
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I really enjoyed being at the hotel, everything was great! The service is great, the staff is polite and friendly, the room is cosy and clean, the location is comfortable! I also enjoyed the garden area! The only think i didn`t like is food service - the choice was not so huge as I expected. But still all the rest was great, hope to return here next time when i will arrear in Nepal again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Olga F
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Pleased to know that you had a nice time while you were staying with us. Happy to hear that you rated our service very highly and also our decor/garden area. We're offering a limited cafe style menu at the pool side bar whereas our Room Service and Kailash Restaurant menu's are extensive. The management is in the process of updating the menu with many exciting new dishes. I look forward to welcoming you on your return visit!
Altadena, California, USA
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stayed four nights at the Shanker Hotel and were perfectly happy with our choice. The hotel, though not actually in Thamel, is an easy walk (even in the dark). The building itself is a lovely and well maintained historical spot. It feels old and quirky, but we had few moments without power or air-conditioning. The rooms were clean and comfortable, with the exception that the mattresses were thin and hard. A lot of variety was offered at breakfast, though the quality of the food was just okay. We ate our dinners in nearby Thamel rather than in the hotel dining room. It was nice have the tourist-central eating options but be able to retreat to a quieter location up the road to sleep. The hotel staff were professional; all of our needs were met. I would stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AltadenaTraveller
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thank you for describing our building as a charming one. I am very happy to learn that you enjoyed our breakfast spread. It gives me immense pleasure to know that you were happy with our professional services and facilities on the whole and I'd love to have you back at our property when you do return to Nepal.