Hotel Shanker
$123
Radisson
$101
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Yak & Yeti(Kathmandu)
$159
$21
$135
  • Pool
1,281 results
All reviewsold palaceconverted palaceswimming poolrana palaceheritage hotelearthquake damagebreakfast buffetan oasisseen better daystravel deskthe hustle and bustlenice gardencomfortable staythamel areahot waterkuntishankar
Reviewed February 17, 2013

What does one look for in a hotel
1. Location
2. Comfort
3. Value
4. Service
This property scores well in all the quarters.
It is a nice heritage class hotel with a big courtyard in the front.
Away from the street.
Yet close to the main area's like Thamel & other tourist attractions within 10-15 minutes drive.

Room Tip: Look for a room with large window.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

We appreciate your accolades! Very happy to hear that we were able to get great quality scores from you on all frontiers. Look forward to welcoming you back on your return visit!

Reviewed February 16, 2013

located in Lazimpat, from outside the hotel and settings look very nice
bedroom was quite small and the bathroom too. not many amenities.
matresses were hard.
good breakfast, staff helpful
Do not expect the international standards for this hotel rated four stars!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

I appreciate it that you took time to alert us about your perspective. We do have a choice of mattresses (Hard/Soft) and I am sorry that the house keeping did not offer you those choices. Most visitors appreciate the historical nature of our property. We have been tenacious in clinging to our roots and in the process there have been some trade offs. Thank you again for writing this review.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hotel Shanker in Kathmandu for several days on both ends of a hiking trip. The hotel used to be a palace and has nice architecture. Breakfast was included and was good. The Shanker has a nice outdoor garden area with a pool, but it was too cool for a swim. There are also some gift stores and a business center with a computer and Internet. From the hotel, it's only a 10-15 minute walk into the chaotic fun of the Thamel area. Very importantly, the hotel has generators for electricity and hot water around the clock.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor, as the rooms in the 100's have an odd split-floor arrangement.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to rate us here on Trip Advisor. I am very happy to know that you appreciated the historical character and the amenities/facilities offered at Shanker. I certainly look forward to welcoming you back to our property on your return visit to Nepal!

Reviewed January 31, 2013

my husband and I stayed a total of 4 nights in Shanker hotel during our twe enjoyed our stay at Shanker hotel. in a city where blackouts occur every day for hours, it is important to know that that this hotel has its own generators! the room is kind of dated, but it was fairly clean and it was fine for us. after a day of going around Kathmandu, you'll appreciate the location and quietness of the property. breakfast is included in the price and I thought that was a nice layout. it has eggs, nepali food, sometimes french toast or crepe, coffee, etc. We also have all our dinner in the hotel during our stay there, and the food was very good too. since we eat our breakfast and dinner at the hotel, we found the service in the restaurant is what we like most about the hotel. Servers Saran and Kamel are great! they were our servers in our last two days in Nepal and you see them in the morning and in the evening with their smile and really makes you feel at home.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

I appreciate it that you took the time to write down this review. I am very happy to know that you enjoyed the location of our property! Moreover, Chef and his team are excited to hear that you appreciated their work. I have forwarded a copy of this comment to Saran and Kamal (servers) too. I'd love to welcome you back to the Shanker when you visit our country again.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

I really wanted to like this hotel. This was my first time to Nepal on business, and I booked this hotel based on the uniqueness of the property and it's relatively good location to Thamel and some other key spots. The out side of the hotel and lobby are pretty and historic, however once in the room, everything is outdated and a bit dirty.

Pros:
-Good location
-Friendly/helpful staff

Cons:
-Extremely hard bed, slept horribly through entire stay
-Terrible internet connection throughout the hotel. Nearly dial-up speed in the guestrooms. Furthermore, the connection resets every single day, so you have to retype the access codes for all your devices individually each day. And the internet is around $8 per day, so I expected better for the price. It's especially frustrating trying to do business from the hotel.
-The breakfast buffet was awful and made me feel nauseous every morning. Nothing seemed extremely fresh, even the fruit.
-None of the rooms have views.

All in all, you kind of get what you pay for. I would have much preferred to pay more for a better stay in Kathmandu.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Exploresummore
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

I thank you for having taken time away to alert us with your perspective.

My sincere apologies for the disruptive Wi Fi. I would like to bring into your attention that we are one of the only hotels in Kathmandu to maintain state-of-the-art server facilities. High speed optical fibre links provide unmatched uplink and downlink speeds.

However, due to our governments road widening drive, those optical fibers connections are getting disrupted due to which our guests were experiencing connection issues. I assure you that those problems have been taken care of and guests are enjoying high speed wifi access in our property.

Regarding the accommodations, we've been tenacious in clinging to our roots. Our rooms are much different from the rooms of the chain hotels which you might have been used to. Arched windows, double decker rooms, among many are unique rooms that are only found in the Shanker.

Most guests have been showeing us with accolades regarding food quality at breakfast. I shall investigate further into this matter and find out what went wrong regarding food preparations during your stay.

I thank you for taking time to alert us on some key issues. I hope to see you again.