Hotel Shanker
Astoria Hotel(Kathmandu)
Hotel Lion(Kathmandu)
  • Restaurant
1,270 results
All reviewsold palaceconverted palaceswimming poolrana palaceheritage hotelearthquake damagebreakfast buffetan oasisseen better daystravel deskthe hustle and bustlenice gardencomfortable staythamel areahot waterkuntishankar
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We stayed at the Shanker for three nights in December, 2012, arriving around 10pm due to delay at airport arrival - note to anyone flying into Kathmandu - get your Visa BEFORE leaving home so you don't stand in the "visa line". It took three men to process one visa application, MANUALLY! Was almost midnight by the time we arrived at the Hotel - my luggage did not arrive for another three days later! Reception was not exactly "warm" on arrival, nor did they make us feel too welcome. The rooms were very large, a bit of the tired side, but comfortable none the less. Everything one would need for a comfortable stay. The breakfast buffet was fantastic, large array of western and asian foods and the service from the wait staff was exceptional. And I say this about most of the rest of the staff at the Hotel, they were very warm and made us feel like family - except for the reception staff who were by and large, cold and unwelcoming, but the service staff made up for their shortcomings. One of my memorable moments at the Hotel was on Xmas Eve, a knock at the door and two ladies handing us a beautifully wrapped Xmas gift and a plate of homemade fruit pies and chocolates - just to wish us a Merry Xmas away from our homes. This was such a lovely gesture, it reduced me to tears. I felt at home here. The Hotel also organised our Guide - a truly wonderful guy by the name of Ramesh - to take us around and show us the amazing sites of his city for the day - a truly memorable, and unforgettable experience. I am sure there are better Hotels one could chose, but the Shanker ticked all our boxes, was affordable and pleasant, and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2013

Your feedback will be very useful to other potential travelers. Thank you taking a moment to write it down. Have noted down your comments about the reception staff. Giving you the highest level of service and satisfaction is our top priority and your feedback is absolutely essential to us. I am happy to know that you appreciated our little Christmas surprise! Thank you for having chosen to stay with us and written this wonderful recommendation. Hope to welcome you back again!

Reviewed January 14, 2013

The hotel is fine. Old, but perfectly clean and pleasant with an extremely professional and friendly staff. But with the entire city being torn up from road construction, I can't really recommend the location. You can walk to Thamel for shopping and eating, but it's so treacherous to cross the roads, I think it might be better to stay in one of the hotels a bit out of the way and just get a cheap taxi to take you into Thamel when and if you want to go there. So I would choose a different hotel next time, based solely on location and because of the current rebuilding situation all over the city. I think I would prefer to be near the Paten district next time.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

I am happy to hear that you were satisfied with all our services and amenities. We do everything within our circle of influence to make sure that your stay at Shanker is serene. Most of Kathmandu roads are undergoing expansion (widening) and this effort from the government will soon be over. I hope to welcome you back again!

Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed at Shanker from the 5th to the 8th of this month and had a pleasant and satisfying experience. Hotel staff were generally friendly and courteous except for the two ladies whom I don;t wish to name, manning the front desk at our check in and check oiut times who were not very forthcoming .Food, especially breakfast buffet was excellent with a wide spread of delicacies. Rooms were clean and adequately spacious.However, the hotel management would do well to note and address the following points:
i) Renovation work going on at the front facade gives a shabby first impression to any visitor. Generally. maintanence needs to be improved.
ii) Washing area in bathroom is too small and narrow for big size people to even move their arms slightly.
iii) Bathtub had dirty stains which could not be removed, as we were told by Housekeeping staff.
iv) Hotel should provide complimentary airport transfers to at least on line customers. We were told that the rate for airport drop is an astronomical USD 15.

Room Tip: Windows of some of the rooms are at floor level, necessiating one to bend to get a view outside. Better to change in case you require a room with a view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SharatNM
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Thank you for taking a moment to rate us. We are happy to hear that you were happy with our service and F&B. My apologies for inconvenience caused due to renovation work on the facade. This work should be over shortly. I have noted down your other suggestions and will forward it to the management. Thank you once again and I hope to welcome you back to the much different Shanker on your return visit!

Reviewed January 12, 2013

I am a frequent traveller to Nepal and always stay in the Shanker. The people are the friendliest imaginable and I feel like one of the family. Rooms, TV, wifi all great and the pool is a beautiful haven in hectic Ksthmandu. This really is a great hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

Wonderful to hear that you choose to stay at Shanker on every visit to Nepal! Thank you for writing such a beautiful review about your experience with us. Hope to see you again!

Reviewed January 11, 2013

We loved our stay at the Hotel Shanker. The facade of the hotel is beautiful. Rooms were not anything special compared to the architecture of the old palace building, but they were clean and the bathroom had a tub.

We were able to walk to the market at night, but it isn't for the fainthearted! A police officer directing traffic helped us to cross safely. We took a tuk tuk back to the hotel.

Breakfast was served in a beautiful old downstairs banquet hall and we loved the classical music that was playing. Big buffet, lavishly laid out and good coffee.

The pool and the grounds are gracious and we enjoyed sitting by the pool and having a nice lunch. One evening the grounds were decorated and lit up and a wedding reception was being held.

This was the last hotel of our vacation, and I am particularly happy we chose it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AlaskaMomofTwo
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

We're happy to hear that we were able to leave a lasting impression in your memories. Hope to see you again!