“Went here to get a visa for India - interesting”
Review of Hotel Shanker

Hotel Shanker
Ranked #40 of 207 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I arrived at 06.00am at New Delhi airport from Helsinki to take a fast taxi to the hotel before the morning rush. As a Finnish passport holder a visa on arrival is possible but only 60 days after the last visit. I did not know that when I had agreed to meet a friend in Delhi on my way to Bangkok. The passport officers kindly ordered me back to Finland or to Kathmandu where I could get a visa! So I jumped on a plane to Nepal at midday and arrived under clear blue skies to this very dusty but intriguing small city. I had seen that the Shanker was well regarded by Tripadvisor and that they offered a 60% discount on last minute deals on their website. I could have got a USD10 deal for Madhuban Guest House that my neighbor enthused about but I wanted to be sure of sleeping well that one night.
And that I did! The hotel is certainly from the old world but the gardens are green and well kept. The older staff are really traditional colonial style polite people who treat all guests like VIP's. The younger staff were modern and friendly - unlike the older staff members they did not salute me each time I past. The reception was very helpful on arrival. The room was a touch tired with dark surfaces but everything worked well including Internet.
The restaurant was fun and had a big menu of good dishes. The bar was the best part - small an intimate where you could chat with others and enjoy a good meal and drink.
The next morning I got my visa at the Indian Embassy - that's another story - but it is worth mentioning that Shankers is near this embassy and right next door to the embassy is a small agency that can make the application and physically apply for and deliver all the documents on your behalf so you do not have to wait around all day in the queues.
The hotel is near Tummel- the big market - getting thereon foot is just 10 minutes - but at night this is tricky because there are no street lights!
One night in the Shanker was great - the gardens and the pool are exactly as they are photographed...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Nicholas A
Pratik S, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

I found the story of your visit to Kathmandu very interesting! I certainly hope that you get to spend a little more time to soak up the beauty of our country when you're around South Asia next time.

Thank you for taking time to write a review about your experience and we are all very happy to hear that we were able to show a good time! Look forward to see you soon!

There are newer reviews for Hotel Shanker

Reviewed November 2, 2012

The hotel is a little tired but it's very nice and well worth a visit.

As you enter the grounds of the Shanker Hotel, the hustle and bustle of Kathmandu seems to just dissapear. The hotel is a little tired but it's in good shape and you can just imagine what it was like in it's hey day.

The hotel is located within easy walking distance to the Thamel (backpackers) area.
Our room was a nice size, clean and comfortable.
The garden and pool area are a great place to relax after a day seeing the city.
The staff were very friendly and quick to assist if you need any help.
Breakfast (included) was served in a big ballroom - there was a good variety and the service was excellent.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
pratikshr, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2012

I am delighted to hear that we could leave a positive impression on your memory with our customer service. This hotel was formerly a Rana Palace (Nepal's erstwhile ruling elite), and it is over a hundred years old! However, the management had done a great job maintaining this property.

I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast spread. Hope you choose to stay with us the next time you're around!

Reviewed November 1, 2012

I booked this hotel for my girlfriend's birthday whilst we were travelling as a treat and it proved to be a very good choice. The best part of this hotel is the gardens and pool. This peaceful setting is incredibly rare in Kathmandu and seemed a world away from the craziness at the end of the road. The rooms were very clean, extremely comfortable and the bathroom was also good.

The only drawback is the area surrounding the hotel (which is very run down) and a couple of the female reception staff were not very welcoming. When I asked if they could help me book a table for my girlfriend's birthday they asked if it was necessary then demanded that I get the phone number, show my room number and cross other hurdles before I got 1 attempt and was told "he's busy".

This didn't ruin what was a very pleasant stay and we were even given a complimentary cake to celebrate by the male reception staff!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
pratikshr, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

We are all very pleased to hear about your account. Thank you for taking a moment to write it.

I will investigate further into your experience with one of our female reception staff member. Hope you choose to stay with us on your next trip to Kathmandu!

Reviewed November 1, 2012

A good quality hotel by Nepali standards.
Staff riendly and rooms very clean. The breakfast was excellant with an array of local and western choices.
Also a good size pool.
A great benefit was the location..5 minute walk from the lively Thamel area.
Tip: take a torch with you as there a frequent power cuts and at night the streets are not illuminated and the standard of pavements and road are poor to say the least!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write down such a helpful review. I am happy to hear that you were happy with our breakfast spread and our hotel facilities.

Hope to see you again on your next visit to Kathmandu!

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Hi,

A few point to note on this hotel:

1) The front staff are friendly but more fake and business like. This is not typical Nepal culture. Other staffs were overly greeting and clearly expecting tips. Made us quite uncomfortable.
2) Our room had plumbing problems for two days. Was quite irritating. We were finally upgraded after continuous complaining. However, I have to give credit to the head house keeping lady (a bit elderly, don't know her name but had red hair). She really was apologetic and tried her best to get it solved. She even arranged a temp room for us while they tried to repair. Even the next day, she kept asking if our new room was ok.
3) The hotel is actually a gorgeous palace. Beautiful garden. Some painting will do it good.
4) The breakfast is not as spectacular as other reviewers said. I travelled extensively in Asia and this is the lowest basic fare for a star hotel. No quality items e.g. the jam, cereal, butter,, bread etc were all real cheap stuffs. There were fresh fruits and juices which I would love to take but I usually would avoid as I don't know how it has been cleaned or handled.
5) We also ordered room service. That was pretty ok and price was reasonable too.
6) The complimentary mineral water was sealed but still leaking. So, we dared not drink it. This was a general problem in Nepal where we could not be sure of getting clean water.
7) Bed was ok. Comfortable enough to sleep.
8) Room is spacious
9) Bath also spacious but not that clean. Toilets n tub pretty stained. Would be nice if they had new toilets
10) walking distance to Thamel, but was of no interest to us.
11) Narayanhiti palace is just next door. Closed Tuesday and Wednesday.
12) If your room does not come with wifi package, it can be quite expensive for wifi charges. Go down the street to the sports shop whereby there's cafe along side it. There is free wifi there with good signal and decent coffee. In the next street, there is Barista coffee. Nice coffee and free wifi too.
13) There is swimming pool but quite small..

Room Tip: 1.Use your local driver/guide to get the booking. They get a cheaper rate than us tourist. 2. Down...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank for taking time to write such a detailed account about your stay. I love the photographs that you uploaded.

I am happy to hear that you loved the neo classical style architecture of our hotel. But I am surprised to hear about your comments from the reception staff. Customer satisfaction is our No. 1 priority. I will personally look into this matter and ensure guests do not feel that way.

Overall, I am happy to hear that you liked most of our service offerings. We have noted down the points where you were not satisfied and we'll be working on them right away.

Hope you see you again where you're in Kathmandu next time!

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Historical building!
Excellent, friendly staff!
Stone's throw from the heart of the biz area - Thamel!!
Completely away from the bustle of it all, yet!
Icing in cake - great breakfast buffet in a wonderful ornate hall!
What more can one ask for?!!

We had a wonderful 4 nights in KTM thanks to Hotel Shanker!

Room Tip: Bathroom doesn't have exhaust fans, so keep the room a/c going after ur shower!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank KarmaYogi
pratikshr, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Thanks for your review! Our chef's team could not be happier to hear that you loved the breakfast spread. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Hotel is a bit rundown, but very nice for Kathmandu standards. The pool was great to soak in at the end of a long (dirty) day. It's definitely a historic hotel, so it was nice to have some culture. They front desk staff were relatively friendly.

If we'd do it again, we'd probably stay in a hotel in the middle of Thamel. They all looked equally as nice and we loved that area. This hotel is close to Thamel, but not in the middle of the madness.

1  Thank WiscoTravelers
pratikshr, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Thanks for writing this review. I will take this as an opportunity to identify key areas where you were not delighted with us. Customer Delight is our No. 1 priority, and we take it very seriously. I am happy to hear that you were happy with our Customer Service of Front Desk staff.

Thanks again, for having chosen us and we hope you choose to stay with us the next time you're around.