“Nice and quiet”

Ranked #38 of 202 Hotels in Kathmandu
Istanbul, Turkey
“Nice and quiet”
Reviewed January 16, 2012

Away from the hectic atmosphere of the city center this hotel is an excellent choice to discover Kathmandu. This former palace with very nice decorations inside gives a royal atmosphere. The staff was really friendly and helpful. Ther are some nice restaurants and cafes in walking distance. Though it is 15-20 min walk to Thamel it is not recommended. Taking a taxi is very cheap and convenient.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank oymakas
pratikshr, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, January 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for rating us on Trip Advisor. We're glad that you chose to stay at Shanker.

Also, we are very happy that we were able to delivery world class service to you during your stay.

Warm Regards,
Pratik

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Was meeting my family after longtime. I had planned to take them to some different place. Nepal was the 1st place came in my mind.
I had to tell you the truth, my mom loved the hotel shanker more then any place in nepal. Infact she herself told me "i feel like a queen here".
Nothing better reaction was that for a son to hear while spending time with family.
Very Clean. And the evening walk around the pool and park. Great room with a lot of facilities.
I strongly recommend this place.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Sagar K
pratikshr, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Dear Guest

It gives us immense pleasure hear your feedback.

Shanker indeed was a palace of the Rana Maharajas of Nepal in the first half of the 20th Century. Nepal's beloved Late Queen Aishwarya (wife of Late King Birendra Bir Bikram Shah) was born in that palace.

Thank you and we invite you to visit us again.

With Warm Regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2012

I stayed here before and after I trekked to Everest. The location was convenient with the city centre being around a 15min walk - I do n’t recommend walking it by yourself if you are lady especially at night just to be on the safe side. Regarding conveniences, an ATM and a couple of restaurants are only 5 minutes away – especially if you do not want to walk into the city. The rooms were comfortable and spacious , I was up graded to a suite which was really nice on my return from. I was able to leave some of my belongings in the hotel while I was trekking which was an added bonus. The hotel had a pool that was lovely – it had a nice little bar next to it and was definitely worth using to relax after my trek. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful and the breakfast was not to bad either. I would suggest if you are not doing a tour and you are flying into Kathmandu that you arrange a transfer from the airport to your relevant hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank MelBTravelblog
pratikshr, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, January 14, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for rating us on Trip Advisor.

We have been operating the hotel since 1964, and since we try and understand all your needs and inconveniences while traveling, we also have a cloak room(complimentary). All hotel guests are free to leave their heavy suitcases while they tour the country with light rucksacks.

We delighted to hear that you loved our poolside area and your positive comments about our Staff will be shared with them on our Weekly Team meeting.

We do arrange Airport Transfers. Please contact us by email with your booking ID to avail the service(fee).

We invite you to visit us again!
With Best Regards,
Brunswick, Maine, United States
Reviewed January 9, 2012

Very good hotel. Extremely clean. A little oasis from the hectic city. The grounds are very nice. The pool has a beautiful tile floor. The breakfast buffet is the best I have ever had. Some items change daily and no matter your taste you will find something very nice. Service is ok in the hotel. Staff can be a little too aggressive looking for tips but a minor distraction. Rooms were very clean and shower worked fine. Probably not the most handicap accessible hotel. ATM machine around the corner from the hotel. About a ten minute walk to thamel from the hotel. Travel agency within the hotel. I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Dennis L
Dear Guest

Thank you for your detailed response of our property and describing it as 'A little oasis from the hectic city'.

Years of care and love have made our beautiful expansive lawns look they way they look today. We have used River Stones to tile the floor around the poolside area so that nobody slips.

We are glad that you enjoyed our breakfast offering. Your comments will further motivate our dedicated Kitchen Team.

Soon you will be able to view all the offerings of our travel desk from within the Hotel site.

Thank you and we hope to serve you again.

With Best Regards,
Pratik S.
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed January 8, 2012

This was our return visit to the valley, after a period of 2 years. The room was great and the service was hospitable. Highly recommend it!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Arjun S
Dear Guest

We are glad to hear that you chose to stay at Shanker Hotel on your return visit!

We welcome you to visit again!

Wtih Warn Regards,
Auckland
Reviewed January 7, 2012

We stayed at Hotel Shanker prior and post a 17 day trek up to EBC via Gokyo. The hotel looks amazing from the outside with a great pool and gardens. Its not super fancy on the inside. The rooms are very comfortable with standard amenities. The bathrooms have reliable hot water and good pressure. There are often only small "half windows" in the rooms which makes for not much light! I think we paid (via the tour company) ~US$100 per night and to be honest didn't look at many other options in the area. The staff are super helpful and friendly. The breakfast buffet we thought was great (don't have a nepal standard to compare to).

The only issue is WiFi - Kathmandu pretty much has FREE WiFi where-ever you go! Even at cheap restaurants and cheaper hotels! We were stuck in Lukla for 5 days at even had free WiFI in all the guest houses and cafes there! I can't understand why Shanker charges so much! its ridiculous! We have found generally though that the higher the star rating of the hotel, the more basic things you have to cough up and pay for! We had delayed flights and missed connections due to bad weather and it is so much more convenient having free WiFI at the hotel to sort this stuff out - we subsequently just walked to Thamel and used free WiFi there!

The other bonus is it is away from the hectic Thamel! which can be quite noisy at night. Its an easy 5-10minute walk into Thamel so not a big deal

Overall - would stay at this hotel again, the WiFi factor would be the only reason I wouldn't.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JKNZ
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review.

We appreciate the fact that you thoroughly enjoyed your Kathmandu visit staying at Shanker.

We do provide free Wifi(coupon) to all direct bookings. Perhaps you made your reservations through one of our Wholesalers which is why you didn't avail the free Wifi coupon.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Shanker Hotel and we look forward to your return visit!

WBR- Pratik S, Manager
NYC
Reviewed January 3, 2012

I stayed at the Shanker for a wedding in Decemeber for 2 nights was less than impressed. Although I got a special rate for thr wedding I still found the value to be lacking and could not imagine paying full price. I stayed at Hotel Tibet prior to moving to the Shaker and preferred that hotel over the Shanker. I was on the 7th floor (Room 720) and the housekeeping staff would start talking outside my room befinning at 7am each morning and would continue all day long until I called reception to ask them to quiet down. The first day I heard a lot of noise outside my room so I opened the door and saw dog poop outside my room. I showed housekeeping who was standing outside by door chatting and they apologized at cleaned it up. But that put a horrible taste in my mouth. When I asked for room service or an Iron and the staff would come in my room and just start blatenly staring around and had to be ushered out the door.

I am sure the hotel was once lovely but it has seen better days and needs a refurb. My bathroom shower leaked and there was a weird smell everywhere.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Matrix02
pratikshr, Manager at Hotel Shanker, responded to this review, January 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

We deeply regret the inconvenience caused by a lag in service quality.

Being a big palatial building with numerous hallways, we believe that a cat sneaked in into the hallway. We deeply regret the inconvenience caused, and we are working on the solution.

Thanks for staying at the Shanker and we hope to see you again.

With Warmest Regards,