“Reminds me of China state-owned hotel”
Review of Hotel Yak & Yeti

Hotel Yak & Yeti
Ranked #57 of 210 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I was in Kathmandu for a 1 day business trip. Our Nepal business business associate put us up in this hotel. The room and musty carpeted hallways reminded me of my many stays in China state-run hotels. You can see the contrasting room views - a nice courtyard with man-made lagoon out one view, and a garbage dump out the other view. Generally, I found Kathmandu to be a heavily polluted depressing city. Nothing was bad in the hotel, but nothing was great either. The breakfast buffet was plentiful but nothing was either memorable or outstanding. The road leading up to the hotel provides all kinds of tourist shops, cheap tourist goodies, and a few trekking tour guide offices.

In general, a place to park the body for 1 night. But I wouldn't choose this for a holiday stay. It appears that given the convenience to the Royal Casino, that it grabs a lot of adjoining-to-Nepal tourists for the gambling.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,267)

Reviewed December 28, 2013

This must have been my fourth stay at the Yak and Yeti and it was no different from my first. Great location, courteous service, ample meeting areas for various kinds of business meetings, old retainers and the aura of classic royal Nepal. I visited the hotel for a conference that was also held at the venue - so it was just 10 minutes from my room to the main plenary hall. How convenient. The gym, restaurants and meeting rooms look ageless and while adequate do not impress any more. The lawns are gorgeous and so is the traditional Newari restaurant with never ending courses. The rooms need refurbishing- they have a tired look. Renovations are underway but the hotel could do with a solid spruce up. The food is generic Indian across the board except for the traditional restaurant.
All in all a very good stay- the highlight for me was the hotels successful effort to locate my cell phone which went missing in the pandemonium of teh closing plenary. An they found it and returned it to me. incredible. I will stay at the Yak and Yeti again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank SerendipityMumbai
Shejey, Manager at Hotel Yak & Yeti, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from Hotel Yak & Yeti!

Thank you for the pleasant comments about your stay with us. We are pleased to know that you liked our services and had a comfortable stay here.

We are open to welcome you anytime in near future.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Having stayed many times in "trekker" hotels in KTM, the Yak & Yeti was a treat. Located in Thamel, it is close to all the shopping and the great "deals' one can find. Internet is not free and spotty, but then again the electricity stays on when it goes off and on in most other places. A large part of the hotel is currently being renovated.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kathleen A

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on your stay with us. We are very pleased to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us. The current electricity fluctuation is a national issue however, our hotel has the one of the best industrial back up power generators to mitigate any inconveniences that our guests may experience.

We hope you visit us again, on your next potential travel.

with regards,

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Very Good Location with good amenities. A person can reach anywhere in Kathmandu in 15 mins from this hotel. I think Royal Casino is the best at Yak & Yeti. Good Buffy breakfast with number of choice. Before checkin pl confirm all the services and benefit because staffs are not well aware of type of service with different category of rooms.

Room Tip: Club Rooms on 4th floor room no. 4422
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sanjay1905

Dear Guest,

Thank you taking the time in posting a review on Tripadvisor.

We are pleased to hear that our central location was of great convenience during your stay and that our Buffet breakfast was to your liking.

We hope you visit us again, in the near future.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

I had the opportunity to stay at Hotel Yak and Yeti, Kathmandu for two days last wk. My experience was awesome!. My room was upgraded to a suite with free pickup and drop to the airport, as I entered the room I was greeted by chocolate and fresh fruit. The room was very good and the location of the hotel is just a few meters from the best shopping area of Kathmandu.
The hotel staff was very helpful and the breakfast was truly 5 star. I would recommend all to stay there and would definitely check into the hotel when I visit next.

Room Tip: The club suites r the best!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank DrNajeeb

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Hotel Yak & Yeti!

Thank you writing a review on your stay with us.

We would love to welcome you back, on your next possible visit to Kathmandu.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

A very comfortable hotel located quite centrally in Kathmandu. The royal palace, which is now open to the public, is an easy walk away, as is the Thamel neighbourhood and the beautiful Garden of Dreams. I wouldn’t call it a 5-star hotel, nonetheless, it was an easy and enjoyable stay. Don’t take a room on the ground floor. Somehow seems noisier. The internet worked well in the lobby/business area but was spotty in the rooms, often signing out. This is a nuisance, especially when it is not provided for free. The breakfast buffet is quite ample and overlooks the wonderful park and pool area at the back of the hotel.

Room Tip: don't sleep on the ground floor - noisy!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank bojantercon

Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from Hotel Yak and Yeti!

Thank you for your feedback in the Trip Advisor. We would like to apologize for any inconveniences during your stay. Since we are undergoing renovations in the hotel, there are some slight disturbances but they are due to cease in the next few weeks.

We would love to welcome you back once our new category rooms will be introduced in the very near future.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Easy walk around Kathmandu, nice gardens out the back. The workers should have been quiet in the early a.m. - they woke me up talking loudly to each other outside of my room! Bathroom was a little moldy.The food is good at the hotel restaurant and bar. The shops had some nice items.

Room Tip: I had 2 rooms here, front and back. I preferred the back looking out to the gardens.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Greetings!

We apologize for the disturbances during your stay since our hotel is under renovation for a short amount of time. We are pleased to announce, Hotel Yak & Yeti will be introducing new category rooms in the very near future.

We hope you visit us again and check out the new rooms.