“Trekking homebase”
Review of Hotel Yak & Yeti

Hotel Yak & Yeti
Ranked #48 of 207 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We were put up in this hotel at the beginning and end of a trekking trip. The hotel is located with easy access to many places such as Thamel and Durbar Square. Our first room in the east wing of the hotel was very dirty. The room at the end of our trek was newer and in the West wing and much cleaner. Surroundings are quiet enough. Lobby and restaurant are decent and easy to relax in.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard are better than those facing the parking lot. Also the newer rooms are c...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Shejey, Manager at Hotel Yak & Yeti, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Greetings from Hotel Yak & Yeti,

We would like to thank you for your honest review of your experience at our hotel. We are proud to announce that all the rooms in the east wing are going under complete renovation and are expected to be completed by the end of this year.

Pictures of the new rooms will be posted on our hotel brand site, as soon as renovations are completed.

We would love to welcome you back again upon your next possible visit.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Yak & Yeti

Reviewed May 7, 2013

finishing up a trip to base camp. here at yak and yeti. been here for about three days. slowly ramping down. the hotel is nice. not excellent but definitely nice. the area is close to one of the main streets in town. so is is critical in regards to access. there are lots of local shops nearby. also important is the fact that all the travel agencies are immediately close by so you can make last minute changes.

as for the hotel itself, it has lots of amenities. tennis courts. massage. steel clean shave. pools. a casino (dont go to the casino, NOT VEGAS). the rooms are nothing too incredible but are nice and clean. the staff is great. incredibly helpful. overall, a nice experience. i do think it is time for some upgrades though. another nice choice to look at would be the Hyatt in Katmandu.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Shejey, Manager at Hotel Yak & Yeti, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time in writing a review on our hotel.

It is true that most of our guests that go for trekking, often find our hotel very enjoyable due to our various amenities (such as central location, responsive service, rooms and food).

Speaking of upgrades, we are proud to let you know that our current Standard rooms are going under complete renovations and will be placed under a higher category room. We would be very pleased should you visit us again, and try out our new rooms. The rooms are expected to be completed by the end of this year, and will be announced on our hotel brand site upon completion.

Thank you for staying with us once again.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here two days before trekking and 3 afterwards.
First the good stuff:
- Nice lobby, bar and restaurant
- Oasis from the chaos of Kathmandu
- Walking distance to Thamel and Durbar Square
- Nice grounds in the back of the hotel
- Interesting wood decor in the room
- Complimentary water bottles in room
- Big tub/shower

Now the not so good stuff:
- The rooms are worn and need refurbishing. Mostly carpet and chairs.
- Bathrooms dated
- Old school TV
- No safe in the room

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Hotel Yak & Yeti.

We are pleased to know that you found our hotel very pleasant.

Regarding our Standard room, we are excited to let you know that all our Standard rooms are going under complete renovation and are expected to be completed by end of this year.

We will announce the new rooms when completed on our hotel brand site.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

I had the misfortune of spending 1 night at this hotel on Match 12th this year. In short, I am never staying here again.

When I walked into the room, the bathroom was filthy and there was something left behind that I cannot discuss here. I called their duty manager and he was very apologetic but didn't change my room. He asked me to wait until he got the bathroom cleaned. After I argued with him for a bit, they gave me another room right next door.

The next morning I had to check out. At check out time, they charged me for breakfast. When I mentioned to them that I had a vouched that showed breakfast included, the lady at the reception was again quite apologetic and said she would get it changed. However, a few minutes later a reception manager came by and was quite rude and asked me to make the payment for the breakfast first and then go back home and rectify it. This was an absurd suggestion so I spoke with his superior, who told me it was a system error on their side and I didn't have to make the payment. I was traveling on business and my colleague from Switzerland was also asked to make the payment initially and then they told him too it was a system error. Again, he was told quite sternly and not the manner in which you treat a guest.

All in all it wasn't a pleasant experience. The property outside has a garden area that is quite nice and the hotel is located in the center of downtown Kathmandu but the attitude of the staff unfortunately leaves a lot to be desired.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your time taken in writing us this review.

Firstly, we would like to offer our deepest apologies for your recent experience. This case of incident is truly rare at our hotel and we have taken this issue into serious consideration within our management.

In the case that you might want to visit us again, I personally assure you of our fullest attention and that this type of incident will not occur again. I will personally come to greet you, should you come to check in with us.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

We spend five days in this hotel. It was my first visit to this place and I loved that place. It was 3 star hotel. I really liked the hotel because of its location. The view from my hotel was awesome. It has so many things to see near the hotel like temples and markets. This was located in the heart of the city.

We were on a 6 day Nepal-Pokhara tour from Nepalonsale.com who provided us a complete travel arrangements from New Delhi & were helpful as well.2 Hours flight from Delhi & we were in hotel by lunch All rooms are very comfortable and spacious. The hotel corridor was very clean . I stayed in superior room it was well furnished and spacious too. My room was on 6th floor and I cud see full city from my room. Room has all the modern facilities like television, mini bar and coffee maker.

Their staff was well behaved and they do their job very efficiently. They give full respect to their customers . From Gardner to chefs they always make an effort to say hello to their customer . Hotel has many elevators which save lot of time. It also has many other basic facilitie like gym, spa. The gym was good.

It has all the modern equipment that you need in your daily life. The best thing which I like about the hotel was it located very near to market. I did some shopping for my family and friends. The food was very delicious wid all kinds of food were available like Indian, Chinese and continental. Hotel has one bar and one coffee shop in the hotel. Many Outdoor activities are there and I played snooker there. All in all it was a great experience for me to visit in this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vineet456
Shejey, Manager at Hotel Yak & Yeti, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time in writing a review on our hotel. We truly appreciate your kind words and will motivate our team further to provide even better service to all our guests.

We would love to welcome you back and stay with us again

Reviewed April 29, 2013

The Yak and Yeti was clearly a grand hotel - and still has a lovely entrance and gardens - with a small pool and a quite well equipped gym.
however, the rooms have seen better days... at least the room I was in. On the upside - it was quite spacious and had a really good sized double bed, and there was complimentary bottles of water which was a nice touch - but that was about it!
The carpet and furniture was very worn out, and the bathroom was rusty and stained, the TV the old fashioned model, not even a hairdryer in the room...
and - probably the most annoying - the internet costs about $12 per day - which is really exorbitant anywhere - especially as all over town it is free.

Room Tip: My colleague stayed in a renovated room on the right side of the hotel - but the down side over ther...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Shejey, Manager at Hotel Yak & Yeti, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Warm greetings from Hotel Yak & Yeti,

We acknowledge your comments on our Standard rooms and would like to let you know that all our Standard rooms are going under complete renovation very soon. It will include all modern amenities while still preserving the beautiful Nepali interiors. The pictures of the new rooms will be posted on our brand site soon.

We hope you will kindly return back and try out the new rooms, when they renovations are completed.

Shejey

Reviewed April 26, 2013

We came to the Sunrise Restaurant for dinner, since my travel guide recommended the Yak & Yeti for its Nepali cuisine. Buffet dinner for two was about 20 USD per person, pricy for Nepali standards but very reasonable for ours.
The quality of the food was quite good, although I thought the Kebab restaurant at Hotel Annapurna just across Durbar Marg was way better. Selection of fish and meat curries, daal, rice, salads, fruit and veggies. Spice level appropriately toned down to our Western palate. They had a local river fish similar that was very nice. Steaky and tasted sort of like smoked mahi, forgot the name.
Dessert buffet was outstanding. Nepali goodies like syrup soaked donuts, chocolate mousse, cream filled layer cake... but the most outstanding dessert was the coconut rice pudding. Delicious, had to go for seconds. And thirds. All in all worth it. Good place for a quiet family dinner.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PulpFiction_11

Warm greetings from Hotel Yak & Yeti,

We appreciate you taking the time in writing a review on our hotel and our delicious array of cuisine.

We would love to welcome you back here and suggest you to try out our Chimney restaurant; one of the finest continental dishes with a Russian flair.