“Not a 5 star hotel” 2 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Annapurna
Ranked #51 of 194 Hotels in Kathmandu
“Not a 5 star hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

Just spent 3 nights at this hotel. The staff are nice enough but the hotel is no where near a 5 star hotel. I'd say 3 star. The location isn't too bad ( just a 5 minute walk to the popular tourist spot of Thamel ). The staff are friendly and can all speak good English. There is wifi at the hotel but not free. Which I was disappointed at as most hotels now provide free wifi in Nepal. They charged about £10 for 24 hour access. Although there is a ' buisness centre ' with a couple of PC's in which we used for free.
The breakfast was good. Nice selection of food available for all needs.
The rooms though were not what I expect for a 5 star hotel. The bed was comfy but that's about it. The bathroom was very poor and we hardly had any hot water. Luke warm at best. I wouldn't stay at the hotel again. We have another night booked in Kathmandu in a couple of weeks and we have decided to try somewhere else. This is a very expensive hotel and I don't think it's worth the money at all. I would spend it somewhere else.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Sampurna P, Front Office Manager at Hotel Annapurna, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear Guest ,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.
I m glad that you have noted our positive sides and were happy with the services of our staff, let me reassure you that our team is dedicated to upholding and delivering the premium service expected of our hotel.
Unfortunately, it is clear from your feedback that we did not manage to meet your expectation and have failed to provide our usual standard of service, my sincere apologies for the inconvenience. Our hotel is very centrally located in the heart of the city, and our heritage rooms are equipped with all the modern amenities complimented by the heritage interior and let me also inform you that we are carrying out an on-going product improvement program .Our Wi-Fi is free for guests booked under our corporate packages, for other packages also we are working on the same.
The incident about the hot water is truly a very rare and unfortunate, we can assure you that the situation was one of its kind and does not represent our commitment towards guest satisfaction.

We will be honored if you could give us another opportunity to serve you in the near future.

Assistant Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

I stayed here for a week on business in Kathmandu. It's supposed to be one of the nicest hotels in Kathmandu. The amenities are great but given the rooms it seemed overpriced to me. It is in a central area of the city, Durbar marg, near the Royal Palace and within walking distance of Thamel. There are also several restaurants and clothing shopping on the same street.

The hotel lobby and grounds are nice. There's a pool area with lounge chairs. The fitness center was basically a room w/ a treadmill and two weight machines. The loadshedding made it difficult to run bc the lights would go on and off.

There's also 3 restaurants -- the Coffee Shop, Ghar-e-Kebab, and a chinese one. The Coffee Shop breakfast had a good variety of American/European/Nepali food (omelettes, boiled eggs, fruit, yogurt, cereal, sausage, idli/sambar) but was very pricey ($10). Ghar-e-kebab was some of the best indian food I've ever eaten and the ambience is great with the singer/musicians.

The room was clean and sufficient for my needs but pretty lackluster for the price. The bed was comfortable. The desk and chairs were fine. The room wasn't very big... just large enough for the bed, an arm chair, coffee table, and desk. There was a flat screen tv w. a couple of English channels. The closets were large. The room decor was dated and felt a little worn. The bathroom was older as well with this wallpaper that looked like brown composition notebook paper. Housekeeping came every day and there was turn down service. Again, everything was clean but the room was just in need of an update.

Wi-fi was expensive ($12 for 24 hour period) and not included in the price. I did use the business center to print and wasn't charged.

One odd thing that kept happening was it sounded like someone was ringing the doorbell but no one was ever there.

Room Tip: My room faced the front entrance of the hotel and there was a large tree with what sounded like mill...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Sampurna P, Front Office Manager at Hotel Annapurna, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear Guest ,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor..
Our hotel is very centrally located in the heart of the city, and we are very happy to read that you had a great experience and enjoyed the food and ambience of our restaurant especially Ghar e’ Kabab, as for the prices we are pretty reasonably priced compared to our competition.
Our heritage rooms are equipped with all the modern amenities complimented by the heritage interior and we are also carrying out an on-going product improvement program and will also be undergoing extensive development of the fitness centre. Our Wi-Fi is free under our corporate packages but for other packages also we are working on the same
I m glad that you have noted our positive sides as well let me reassure you that our team is dedicated to upholding and delivering the premium service expected of our hotel. We will continue to work on improving our service and your valuable feedback helps us in this respect.

Oslo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

Once again I just have to write a few words about this wonderful hotel that has become our home every time we visit Kathmandu.
We have just returned home after a longer stay in Nepal due to my husbands work there.

This time I discovered that the hotel we love so much also supports the work of a wonderful organisation called Smile Nepal. This organisation takes care of homeless children in Kathmandu.

Hotel Annapurna provides the organisation with good food for a healthy meal every single day for the street children in the Thamel area. The children come to the hotel once a day, all year and get a good meal at no cost :-) thus providing them with the most basic of needs to survive. They also provide a health check about once a month for these kids.

I was also told that the hotel supports another organisation called Maiti nepal, an organisation which works to help protect Nepali girls and women from crimes like domestic violence, trafficking, child prostitution, child labor and various forms of exploitation and torture.The hotel helps by participating in the rehabilitation of some of these women, and teaching them a trade at the hotel, sometimes giving them employment when possible.

To me this speaks loudly about the generosity of this hotel, a hotel which gives something back to the weakest members of its society without bragging about it.

Thanks again to all the wonderful staff for another great stay at you hotel, and for showing me an entirely different and heartwarming side of your hotel :-)))))

Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for the first time and the experience was wonderful. The location of the Hotel is excellent with easy proximity to the important tourist locations. Mainly the Club room staff is very courteous and make you feel as privilege customer.

Room Tip: The rooms on the Club floor are excellent and the staff on the Club floor really make you feel speci...
Dear Guest,
Greetings from Annapurna !!!

Thank you very much for your review and sharing your experience of our Club Floor. We are delighted that you were happy with our facilities and services of our Club Floor, we do appreciate hearing from our guest, as their comments are vital for us.

Our entire team would like to thank you once again for your comments. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us, and I truly hope to have this privilege again.
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

I stayed in this hotel after 5 years. This time I am in club floor thier new property which is very nice and modern with all the facilities. They serve breakfast in the separate lounge evening cocktail is very good. Special thanks to club floor staff ashma, samjhana, anju, shristi grishmaa and anju for their hospitality. Keep up with the same service level.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Guest,
Let me thank you for the feedback of your stay on Tripadvisor !
We are happy to learn that we were able to live up to your expectations; our Club Rooms with its additional services have been designed to offer luxurious comfort to ease your stay.
We thank you for appreciating the services delivered by our team at the Club Floor, your appreciation of our service is very motivating for the team.
Thank you once again and we very much look forward to welcoming you back again.
Noida, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Dear Friends,

I was at Kathmandu, Nepal for a business trip from 28th Feb 2014 to 3rd March, 2014 and stayed at Hotel Annapurna which is a five star property but this Hotel does not have any noticeable thing to be called a five star excepting its location which is heart of the city.

Its a very big valley and almost nil snow fall so the days are generally not very cool excepting when you have rains there. Medium woolen are good enough.

The rooms and the toilets are small and communication facility such as wi-fi etc. which is limited to one person per room which is ridicules.

Its Casino is just hopeless and shabby, food is ok.

Besides above I visited Pashupati Nath temple, Syambhu temple and Basant Nagar which is old and ancient Kathmandu and Thamel which is shopping paradise for foreigners.

The city lacks the basic infrastructure, small airport (the only international Airport in Nepal) most roads are in very bad shape, though some widening of roads is going on, and lot of electricity shortage. even proper taxis are very limited.

Not a bad place for going once, casino lovers will find this city very attractive and cheap one can easily pass 5-6 hours time in 4-5 thousand local currency which includes food and drink and few stage shows.

Since I could not go for any tracking expedition so no idea of this place infrastructure and facilities related to this.

Any ways worth visiting at least once.

Bye Happy travelling.

Rajeev

Room Tip: No experienced this way so I can not comment on this.
1 Thank Rajeev712
Sampurna P, Front Office Manager at Hotel Annapurna, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Greetings from Annapurna!!!
Thank you very much for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We do appreciate hearing from our guest, as their comments are vital for us to continue in improving our services.

Our heritage rooms are equipped with all the modern amenities complimented by the heritage interior and we are also carrying out an on-going product improvement program within our hotel so that we are able to better serve the needs of our valued guest. Allow me to inform you that for all our club rooms complimentary Wi-Fi is for two or more than two log-in per room and also for base category of rooms we are working on the same for our corporate guests.

We have also noted your comment regarding the casino - though it is inside the premises of our hotel it is run by a different management - however we have forwarded your feedback to the Casino Management

I shall be happy if you could let me know about your next visit and look forward to welcome you in near future.

Front Office Manager
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

This hotel is probably one of the most expensive hotels in Nepal. We have decided to stay here as Hyatt was fully booked. We were given a standard room first. It was like a 2 star hotel room. They were helpful at the reception though and upgraded our room to a deluxe room. They tried to charge extra $30 the next morning. That was another argument that I needed to make. They waived the charge at the end. They wanted to charge extra $15 (per day) for the internet even though it was stated as free on the website. I had to argue with them once again to get it free. It was a challenge to get regular 4-5 star facilities at this hotel. There are some positive sides to the hotel though. Employees at the reception were helpful. I believe they are used to similar guest reactions. Breakfast was also good. Location of the hotel is excellent. I believe they need to lower room prices as anyone would expect better quality for the amount paid.

Room Tip: I can't compare this hotel to others as it is my first time in Kathmandu but if you decide to st...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Sampurna P, Front Office Manager at Hotel Annapurna, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
Namaste!!!
Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor.
We are sorry to read about your recent experience with us. I have personally reviewed your feedback with my team, please allow us to clarify that your reservation was done through a travel agent in our Heritage Rooms - so we are not sure how much the agent must have charged you, and there is a difference of rates in our Heritage & Deluxe Rooms and am glad that you decided to take our Deluxe Rooms. Our Wi-Fi is free under our corporate packages but for other packages we do charge a very minimum charge for the internet, let me also inform you that our Heritage Rooms will be undergoing extensive development which is scheduled to happen very soon.

Should you visit Kathmandu again in the future, please let me know sampurna.pande@annapurna.com.np ,so that I can personally look after your reservation.

Thank you again for your review.