“Wonderful and incredible staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Kathmandu-Soaltee

Crowne Plaza Kathmandu-Soaltee
Ranked #45 of 194 Hotels in Kathmandu
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
“Wonderful and incredible staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2010

I had a mixed feeling when other reviewers had mentioned about cleanliness, distance being a problem. My experience shiowed that the location is slightly off-beat but not too far from anything. Staff were incredible and extremeley friendly. Restaurants were good; slightly expensive but what would you expect from a high-star hotel. Nothing unreasonable especially thier coffee shop buffets - very reasonable! Room comfortable, clean and housekeeping good. My package did not contain free internet so I had to pay, but the daily or weekly rates are reasonable. Speed OK but could be better.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Northern Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2010

This is the clear choice for a stay in Kathmandu. Rooms, choice of restaurants, beautiful grounds and pool, in-hotel shopping arcades, multiple health spots, the uninterrupted power (not a given in Kathmandu), accessibility to the sights of Kathmandu and Kathmandu Valley, and, most important, the friendliness and professionalism of all of the staff, from doorman to front desk staff to management, make this the hotel to choose in Kathmandu.

Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2010

The most I like in this hotel is atmosphere, really relax when you came back after a long working day. The porch is great to sit there, sip cold drink and and enjoy the weather. Try it you will understand what I meant.

Second best I like is..pillows, made me feel like sleeping at home on my own bed.

Staff are terrific, all friendly and really attentive.

Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2010

Right from when I was greeted upon arrival to check out, I must say that this was an amazing experience. The room was clean and spacious, the staff friendly and warm. The breakfast buffett was plentiful catering for all tastes.
I would go back again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
New Delhi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2010

A comfortable, nice and clean property. Nice Casino. But food requires improvement.

1 Thank ksvNewDelhi
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2010

Being a long staying customer, I really enjoyed my stay in Soaltee Crown Plaza, the space, cleanliness and service with a smile is simply outstanding. The Staff's attitude makes the difference at the hotel. the food is simply the best as compared to other Hotels.

this hotel is also great for families with kids for its safety and space for the kids to explore.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Woodbridge, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2010

First and foremost: I highly recommend this hotel.

My first impressions of the Crowne Plaza were excellent. As my taxi pulled up to the gate, we were stopped and search- albeit very briefly- by two security guards. The entrance stands well off from the hotel itself and that gave some sense of security.

Rooms:

Restaurants:
Breakfast Buffet -- Excellent! Very nice food. Very nice selection. I'm not real picky when it comes to food, but I was happily impressed with the selection. The staff was very good about refilling emptying tea/coffee.
Chinese Restaurant -- Average. The food had no special quality, in my mind, but the "Nepali mustard"- a horse radish concoction- was excellent. The Nepali kimchi was also very nice, in my mind. But my meal, a cashew nut and chicken dish, was nothing special. My wife had honeyed pork ribs, I believe, and she was not impressed although several of her colleagues praised them highly. The staff was excellent and the beer was very good: Gorka, I believe (spelled differently than Westerners are used to seeing "Ghurka" or "Ghurkha.")
Italian Restaurant, "Al Fresco" -- When we arrived at the restaurant, there were no other guests, so the head waiter brought out the head chef for an introduction. The head chef asked us if we wanted anything- on or off the menu. I ordered a meat pizza with black olives and my wife had a spaghetti with prawn. Both of us agreed that it was probably the best Italian food experience we have had. I'm sure many factors played into this, but the point is that we were very satisfied and I highly recommend it. The chef was extremely kind and the food was excellent.

Pool:
The pool was oddly colored and murky and I wouldn't recommend anyone to swim in it. To be fair, the hotel did have a sign that stated they were chemically treating the pool, but I'm not sure if that was widely known because I did see a few people swimming there. The pool area was very nice, though, so it would be excellent if the pool was in working order.

Staff:
Staff were very friendly and were eager to help. Everyone was very polite and I never had any communication problems.

Rooms:
Not great, but not bad. It's a 4-star hotel in a developing country: no reason to judge it too harshly. The room was a little musty-smelling, but Nepal does have high humidity, so that's difficult to manage, I suppose. The bathroom was pretty standard and the water pressure was great. The tub gave us one problem, but a maintenance gent helped us out and we were good to go. I was a little perturbed that there was no fridge, but that could be because my wife is cabin crew for an airline company and perhaps the rooms are intended that way.

All in all, it was a great experience and I would recommend it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple