“Pathetic Hotel - Service far below standard - Not a 5-Star Hotel.”

Crowne Plaza Kathmandu-Soaltee
Ranked #47 of 203 Hotels in Kathmandu
Hayes
“Pathetic Hotel - Service far below standard - Not a 5-Star Hotel.”
Reviewed October 24, 2009

I stayed in this hotel for the first time and found to have made a mistake by choosing Soaltee Crowne Plaza. I booked this hotel through a travel agent who probably did his business not not really worthwhile.

The airport pickup was promised but nobody turned up at the airport to receive me. However, I could locate somebody from the Hotel who did not have any idea of my pickup. He had come to pickup someother guest and refused to let me in. This was totally unacceptable. I knew from the begginning of this trip itself that from hereon it is not going to be a fruitful visit.

I then took a taxi whom I paid a ridiculous amount of money from the airport till the Hotel, the local people from the airport did not allow me to take a cab of my choice either.

I reached the Hotel with full stress and check in at the reception. The person at the reception was so unattentive that she was busy on the phone while a new guest has arrived, she didn't even bother to look at me for 10 minutes. Finally, the second person came in front and gave me my room key.

Upon entering the room it seemed to me that I had infact choosen a 2-star Hotel. The room was in a pathetic state, bedcovers not clean, stains on pillow covers and no room slipper.

I tried calling up home but the lines were not yet opened for long distance calls. I literally had to request for an outgoing call thru the operator.

Breakfast however was nice and the restaurant was neat. The fitness center was far below my expectation. Gardens were well maintained and was perfect for an outdoor drink.

The next day I was waiting for a guest to arrive to the Hotel to meet me, therefore had left a message at the reception. This meeting for me was rather the main reason for visiting this beautiful country. I was waiting for the guest in my room for 2-hours but did not receive any message of arrival. Upon contacting him he mentioned that he had to wait for an hour at the reception but no body informed. This was most unacceptable and I had to loose my temper.

I then went to the guest services desk to make a complaint, and she first even refused to give me a comment sheet. I then asked her to connect me to the General Manager, she replied that I will have to first meet the duty manager and refused to connect me to GM's extension number.

I made my point to write all my bitter experiences to the General Manager while leaving the Hotel but have not yet received any reply from Soaltee Crowne Plaza. I would not recommend this Hotel to travellers and please do not just listen to the travel agent while making your selection but do not forget to check out reviews in websites like Tripadvisor choosing your accommodation.

Soaltee Crown Plaza has lost its image and the name and will have to go a long way to overcome its detoriating standards.

If I ever come to Nepal, I will make sure that I do not stay in this pathetic hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank rosecathe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed September 4, 2009

Going to Kathmandu is like going back in time. This was a very exotic place for me anyways. This hotel was no different. I felt like I was in a 1970 movie with the old fashionned elevators, lobby and rooms.
This is what I liked about this place. The staff were very friendly too. For those who likes casinos, there is one just beside, but the casinos in Kathmandu are far from being charming at all.
The internet was very slow, but this is Nepal! So I was not expected more...

Overall I liked the place. It was different and I enjoyed to be in a different type of hotel for once.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
Santa Barabra
Reviewed July 21, 2009

1st you have to pay separate for internet - which always grinds me (even hostels offer this for free). This place offers great service, and if it can be booked for less than $90US I'd say go for it (right now it is on special for $80). Still, it is not a 5 or even 4 star hotel. My room was moldy and musty smelling. The bed was not much better than at a hostel I stayed at a few days earlier. They may have nicer rooms, though. The food is sub-par at the restaurants I went to - though they do have variety. The pool is very nice, but no hot tub. The gym is nice but the equipment is dying and not being maintained. This is probably the best hotel for less than $100, but if you are going to drop more than that go to the hyatt.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Mumbai
Reviewed June 18, 2009

In the main heart of the Kathmandu City, this is one of the most visited hotel in Nepal. Kathmandu being the Capital, is the only well connected Airport to the external world. Whosoever comes has to stay for a while in Kathmandu since Pokhra, Nepalgunj, Birgunj and most other big towns/tourist destinations are more then 5 to 8 hours drive away. Soltee is a good place to be in Kathmandu expect for the conjestion on the way into reaching the Hotel.

Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
Global
Reviewed June 16, 2009

This excellent hotel is located in the quiet green suburbs of the city with fabulous views of the mountain ranges. The property is luxurious and it will certainly spoil you.

Hotel room was spacious for one person in a 2-bed room and the room has ample warm afternoon sun. My room was at the 3rd floor and it offered good view to the hotel frontage and Garrdens and the Bukhara suites.

The indoor swimming pool was excellent and I enjoyed there for long periods. The restaurants were great although a bit pricey. Service was excellent but they were not able to accomodate a late checkout which I thought was poor for this level of hotel. Food was good quality especially the cakes.

The one thing that I did not like about this hotel was that the tables in the restaurants were not cleaned as soon as somebody leaves the table after eating specially when the rush is more and people wait for their turns.

Overall the stay was good and enjoyable.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank SmartTourist
Dubai
Reviewed June 4, 2009

This hotel is very very good service and food wise.The food in the italian and indian restaurants is mind blowing.The pool is also very good.Overall nice hotel very good service with friendly staff.The casino in the hotel is the best in nepal.
It is not too far from the main city also.Overall the best choice of hotel in nepal.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Gujarat
Reviewed June 3, 2009

It was amazing to visit this property in the winters and enjoy the fantastic room, resturaunts and hospitality. for its price its like finding a treasure.

Stayed December 2006