“Not a 5 star hotel”

Ranked #52 of 198 Hotels in Kathmandu
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Not a 5 star hotel”
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Many of the hotels in Kathmandu are a little tired and the same has to be said of the Crowne Plaza Soaltee

The rooms are large but old fashioned. The shower over the bath with discoloured grouting and plastic shower curtain finishes off the outdated look. The club lounge was also only open from 6pm to 7.30pm

The staff were very very good, the food was also good.

The location was also good given that taxi's were easy to get and unless you stayed in the very centre of Thamel you have to get used to the congestion and the enormous pot holes.

If I were to go to Kathmandu again, I would recommend Dwarika Hotel but it is significantly more expensive in all areas.

• Stayed April 2013
nalinma, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Kathmandu-Soaltee, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Guest ,

Greetings from Soaltee Crowne Plaza Kathmandu !

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us on TripAdvisor.

While we always strive to deliver a perfect experience, I do apologize for your experience with the allocated room and the discomfort you faced during your stay.
We have noted your observations and are addressing the same. Please consider this to be an exception to our usually high standards. On the separate note, please be informed that we are carrying out an ongoing product improvement program within our hotel so that we are better able to serve the needs of our guest.

We’ll be honored if you could give us another opportunity to serve you in the near future where our team will leave no stone unturned to provide you a great experience with fond memories to cherish.

We look forward to welcoming you soon.

Nalin Mandiratta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed April 7, 2013

First, the service from assistance at the cab stand, security at the door, bar service, meal service and room attendants was amazing. Truly amazing. Kuddos to the staff.

The rooms are large, and do provide you the open for some fresh air. Given the breezy conditions, I found the fresh air very nice in the evening. That combined with air con that was less than ideal made the window operation that much more appealing.

Room condition was good; they were a bit dated, but the mounted flat panel tv was a nice touch. Beds were very comfortable and selection of pillows was excellent. Internet however, both for charging 500 rupees per hour PER DEVICE along with power outages that occurred constantly, make utilizing the internet worthless at the hotel. That was very, very disappointing for a Crowne Plaza. Download speeds were far higher at restaurants such as Fire and Ice where wifi was free.

Food was good at all locations. My colleagues and I ate all restaurants on the property during our 10 day stay. Breakfast buffet really was amazing.

Also, make sure you ask for Mr. Sanjay as your taxi driver. He was both respectful, used the horn very little (trust me that comment will make sense when you arrive), and was a very courteous/safe driver.

All in all I would recommend the Crowne Plaza. Nice distance from Thamel (thankfully), and great property.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the court yard and pool. Quite and great views of the sunset each evening.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
nalinma, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Kathmandu-Soaltee, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Soaltee Crowne Plaza kathmandu!

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us on TripAdvisor.

We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgment of such a positive nature. It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff’s efforts and takes the time to write about it . Your comments will be shared with our entire team, as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make the Soaltee Crowne Plaza Kathmandu -a leader in excellence.
We have noted your feedback on the internet service and the same has been taken up with the team. We assure you that we will give this feedback the seriousness it deserves and will work on it.
We look forward to your continued visits and take this opportunity to assure you of our best attention and service at all times

Warm Regards
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I reserved a 'club' room since the ad invited me to enjoy browsing the Internet in the exclusive club lounge. In fact, I had to pay extra, and the connection was painfully slow, even slower than at most other hotels in town. I had to argue with the front desk in order to ensure my breakfast was included.

On the positive side, it is one of the few hotels in town with an exercise room (not a priority for trekkers, but perhaps a requirement for some business travellers). I also had a QUIET, comfortable room.

Most of the guests seemed stressed by this hotel - but maybe I'm just projecting. The service is pretentious and overdone. It's a burden just to track down your luggage to get the porter to carry it to your room. Then, just try to get someone to collect your collect your luggage when you check out!

This is all very strange to me, since I know Nepal very well and its people are so charming! So, don't judge this wonderful country based on your experience at the Soaltee.

Room Tip: Don't believe the description of the rooms and services. This is a quiet location, far from ever...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Greetings from Soaltee Crowne Plaza Kathmandu!

Thanks so much for pointing out the disappointing aspects of our product and services. We are indeed very grateful to you because it is feedback like yours that allows us to evaluate the systems set in place and take corrective action where necessary. However, we are pleased to know that you found the room comfortable.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We were choose the right choice to stay in Crowne Plaza Hotel, Kathmandu. Nice and clean hotel. Far away from the busy town,Tamel. ( only 10-15 minutes away ). Service here was good. Staff is helpful. House keeping was provided a good clean in our room during our stay. Breakfast here is the top with variety choices. Recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank JayEkkathattanan
nalinma, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Kathmandu-Soaltee, responded to this review, April 7, 2013

Greetings from Soaltee Crowne Plaza Kathmandu!

We are very happy to know that you are delighted with our infrastructure. Our property represents the true magic and spirit of Nepal and to make ultimate destination of contemporary style and luxury in the city of Kathmandu.
Your feedback on various services of the hotel is extremely useful and indeed very encouraging for my team members to keep working hard on exceeding our guest’s expectations with genuinely warm and indigenous Nepalese Hospitality.

My team and I look forward to your continued visits and take this opportunity to assure you of our best attention and service at all times

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Let's be honest: even the locals will readily admit that Kathmandu is "the worst place in Nepal". The day I arrived there was a strike, meaning it took 2 hours from airport to the Crowne Plaza, after which it was impossible to go anywhere in town. Our business meetings had to be held in the hotel, which was just fine, since it was positively the most peaceful, pleasant, visually appealing place I'd seen during my short visit to Kathmandu.

The comfortable lobby (indoor and outdoor) and large gardens make it a great place for a meeting - strike or no strike! The food in the restaurants (we ate at the lobby restaurant and Kakori, the Indian restaurant) was excellent (note: I love Indian food).

Internet was a bit touch-and-go and didn't work outside the main room/lobby areas. But it was never a real problem and besides, it was the best connectivity I found in Kathmandu!

The pool looked excellent although I didn't have time for a swim.

A few additional dollars invested and this would be a 5-star joint!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ironrooster73
nalinma, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Kathmandu-Soaltee, responded to this review, April 9, 2013

Greetings from Soaltee Crowne Plaza Kathmandu!

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. We appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your experience with us.
We are delighted to note that you have enjoyed your stay and that you were satisfied with the services rendered by our team.
Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience, and we look forward to welcome you again at Soaltee Crowne Plaza on your next visit to Kathmandu, Nepal.

fazilka
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We went on family vacation to Kathmandu with my parents to celebrate their 25th Anniversary this was the gift to my parents by me. I am so pleased that I choose hotel Soaltee for stay in Kathmandu. Kathmandu is a very nice place and is famous for temples- Pashupathinath temple and Baudhnath. The hotel made our stay memorable in Kathmandu.Special thanks to Bonas from nepalonsale.com who provided us a very good Nepal package at prices under our pockets
Soaltee hotel is rated 4 star hotel where you can experience the natural beauty of Nepal. The hotel‘s large landscaped grounds echo mountains beauty of Kathmandu valley. The hotel provides the cozy atmosphere with vibrant gardens surrounding open veranda. The hotel is located in peaceful Tahachal, 4 km from places and temples of Durbar Square, 4 km from Pashupatinath temple and 3 km from Swayambhunath Stupa. We took taxi from outside hotel to visit these places at very cheap rates.

Hotel staff was friendly and efficient especially at the reception and on the door. We had very cozy check in process and were taken to our rooms. Rooms offered to has following features-

1. It has panoramic view of mountains and village.

2. It was quite spacious and elegantly furnished in the Nepali style.

3. It was provided with king size bed, sofa, wardrobes, TV etc.

4. Attached bathroom with hair drier and all useful toiletries.

5. AC was also there but not required at all.

The hotel also has swimming pool and massage centre. You enjoy floating in pool gazing the mountains. I also tried rejuvenating therapy in the massage centre which was very relaxing.

Quality of the food was very good especially Chinese food was amazing at the China Garden. My parents liked the Indian food in Indian restaurant Kakori. Breakfast was only served in buffet so no other option for breakfast.

We really enjoyed the hospitality of the hotel and highly recommend it as the luxurious stay in Kathmandu.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank navita g
nalinma, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Kathmandu-Soaltee, responded to this review, April 3, 2013

Greetings from Soaltee Crowne Plaza Kathmandu!

It was a pleasure having you stay with us during your recent visit to Kathmandu.

The team was overwhelmed to read your kind words of appreciation and we thank you for sharing such inspirational compliments.
It has always been our utmost focus to provide our guests with personalized service that meets high standards of hospitality and it is motivation from guests such as you which encourages us to give our best.
We thank you for your recommendation and support and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Soaltee Crowne Plaza Kathmandu.

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I think my review for this place would have been different if I had been traveling with someone but as I was traveling alone, I found the location of this hotel to be very difficult for me. It seemed to be away from the other hotels in the area and not near the city centre. The rooms, amenities, and service were good - as good as one would expect from a Crowne Plaza anywhere in the world but for the price I paid, I actually would've liked it to be even a bit nicer. The restaurant while yummy was pretty overpriced.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
nalinma, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Kathmandu-Soaltee, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Soaltee Crowne Plaza kathmandu !

Thank you so much for the great and concise review. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with other travelers. We agree that our Hotel is little away from the city. On the contrary, there is an easy access to world famous Swoyambhunath ( Monkey temple), other world heritage sites and city center via taxis and the location does offer a calm and serene atmosphere.
Beside location we hope everything about your stay exceeded your expectations and encouraged you to choose our hotel for any future accommodation needs.

Thank you once again and we look forward to having you stay with us again soon!