“Fantastic”

Ranked #47 of 201 Hotels in Kathmandu
Kathmandu, Nepal
“Fantastic”
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I had stayed here to celebrate new year eve and had a blast during my one night stay here. had booked club room with the facility of club lounge with mind blowing treatment of food and wine. room is good with every amenity u r looking for service is just amazing too and vicinity of hotel is just fantastic and iam sure will plan for my next stay here very soon.

Room Tip: book club room to get the excess of club lounge to treat urself with good food and drink of ur desir...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bhuwannp
SPradhan, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Kathmandu-Soaltee, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
Dear Bhuwannp

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. We appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your delightful experience during your recent stay.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed the services and the amenities offered to you as our privileged Club Room guest and our gala New Year Event.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience, and we look forward to welcome you again at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kathmandu - Soaltee on your next visit to Kathmandu, Nepal.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bangkok
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Let's face it, Kathmandu is not normally a place you would go to looking for some of the finer hotels in Asia. Most are old, badly managed or beset by inefficiency.

The Crowne Plaza is not a new property and I believe it was recently refurbished. The coffee shop now looks a lot nicer than a year ago, and the food is really good. You look forward to getting up early to hit the lavish buffet breakfast.

The service overall is good, with attentive staff easily dispensing 'Namaste' as you pass them. They are helpful when they need to be. However, as with so many hotels in South Asia, their problem-solving skills are below standard and they require plenty of time and patience to do things outside their usual routine. Holding an event here is still a challenge as holding one in all Nepal hotels.

The rooms are nice according to the Crowne Plaza, but no mini-bar, which was a surprise. Otherwise, everything works well., and the room has a very good TV screen and channel selection.

This place is a far from the airport, so allow sufficient time to get there. The area surrounding it is, well, sort of a mess. But this is Kathmandu, where pockets of grandeur exist amongst a sprawling, busy city. I like the Crowne Plaza for a restful stay in Kathmandu. It is one of the better accommodations in the city.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
SPradhan, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Kathmandu-Soaltee, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
Dear Chattan

Thank you for sharing your feedback !

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and especially enjoyed the food and beverage offerings, ambience and service of our new coffee shop. It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff’s efforts and takes the time to write about it.

The team at the hotel looks forward to having you back with us and assure you of another great stay and dining experience.

Avon Park, Florida, United States
Reviewed January 20, 2012

Most rude, arrogant, antagonistic desk staff I have ever dealt with. I experienced three arguments with staff. The first regarding extending my stay an extra day. I checked with four different staff members over a period of three days to make sure arrangements had been made. I was told no problem. Not one of them actually did anything. I was called the last day and asked why I was still there, and told I would be charged a higher rate for that day because I had not made arrangements. The second involved the plumber. The toilet in my room would flood to the top, but not flush. He told me that the handle needed to be pushed again when it reached flood stage and then it would work. All the toilets were like that, he said, and acted like I was crazy. I started using the toilet in the lobby, which ironically did not flood. The third involved my last meal; I was part of a group that had arranged for our meals to be provided. I went to the lunch room with other group members. The waiter tried to charge me without telling me, because they considered me no longer part of the group since I stayed an extra day. No need to tell me that, no apologies for misunderstandings. Instead, they yell at me in the lobby "What part of English do you not understand?" A fourth incident involved an unusually high credit card charge I received later for a phone call I had made, but they simply chose not to respond to any of my communications asking for clarification.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank Thom64
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Crowne Plaza Kathmandu-Soaltee, responded to this review, January 24, 2012
Dear Thom64,

Thank you for your review. We would like to follow up with you on your experiences at the hotel.
I have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain more information about your stay.
I look forward to hearing from you and of being of further assistance,

^Katie J
Case Manager
IHG Care
Kabul, Afghanistan
Reviewed January 18, 2012

This is the best hotel in the region , all services are of top quality.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter
Dear Habibrahmat

Thank you for spending time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

We are pleased to receive your nice review of our hotel, and your satisfaction with our services.

We hope that if your travels bring you back to Kathmandu, you will give us an opportunity to extend our warm welcome back to Crowne Plaza Hotel Kathamandu - Soaltee.

Warm regards,

Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed January 8, 2012

This dated hotel is stretched in many ways, the building facilites and the staff!
we had rented the seminar room for 2 weeks and we were told to clear out by 5 pm sharp because there was another function in the same room. Our group of 40 had to collect all their belongings and just move!
The staff is stretched because there are so many guests. they are willing to help but are raced off their feet. rudeness has been experienced as well!
Finally the hotel rooms need refurbishment badly, seems to be overdue
Recommend another 5 star hotel in town!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank LaohuPenang
Dear Laohu Basel

We are thankful to you for your patience and taking out time and making us aware of your dissatisfaction thus providing us a great opportunity to improve our services.

Please be informed that we are in the process of upgrading our facilities to provide experience and a level of quality that is expected from Crowne Plaza Hotels.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback. I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next trip to Kathmandu.

Doha, Qatar
Reviewed January 3, 2012

I just came back from Kathmandu today and I would like to complain about your reception staff Binod Khanal.

As a cabin crew, we are given the chance to stay at your hotel with free breakfast and free internet inside the crew lounge. However, everytime I check-in these layover hotels I prefer to have my own internet connection in the room even if I have to pay for it. What I didn't like though was that I was charged twice in 1 day for 24hour usage of this wifi.

Money is never a problem for me. What upsets me most was that your staff, Mr. Khanal, was very hostile and unaccommodating to this issue. I asked him why I have been charged twice when our stay was even less than 24 hours. He said that the procedure is that you will be charged for every device that you use to connect to the internet. I told him I was not informed about this and it wasn't even stated at your hotel's website. I used both my laptop and my iphone to connect to the internet. He simply dismissed it by saying that this is how it's always been and he said he'll just forward it to the management. This staff didn't even show any concern at all and he was really rude. He even told me smugly, "you should've just used the crew lounge."

Having heard this, I simply gave him my credit card instead of the cash that I was holding which was amounting to how much I thought my bill was in Nepalese Rupee. He swiped my card and punched in the bill total of NPR 4325.64 ( NPR1360 charged twice for the 24hour internet, NPR950 for room service minus NPR190 crew discount, plus service charge and 13%VAT). He didn't even try to comprehend how unreasonable the situation was. He wasn't even facing me properly that's why I wasn't able to get his complete name. I was really upset with how disrespectful he has been.

Another thing, around an hour before I checked out I decided to avail the free breakfast buffet in the hotel. In the middle of breakfast, everyone could hear one of the guests shouting in front of the reception area and I saw where that man was standing: In front of exactly the same spot I was in when I checked out, most probably in front of the very same staff I'm complaining about.

Working before as a front desk receptionist, I am familiar with the hotel system and I know that he could have done something else to pacify me as a guest. He could have emphatized with me at the very least. Perhaps being a crew member did not earn me any respect since we were staying at your hotel for a discounted rate unlike other paying guests.

All in all I could say your hotel has improved as compared from my last stay, especially the Garden Terrace breakfast buffet. However, this incident has dampened what could have been a much better layover. I hope you can do something about your internet policy and I certainly hope you could give your receptionist some advice on how to treat your guest properly.

10 Thank clouds f
Dear Clouds f

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to provide feedback about your experience.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you have faced during your stay. Please be assured the same has been shared with the team for further improvement on what went wrong and re-train our team members, if that need arises.

Warm regards,
DHAKA, BANGLADESH
Reviewed December 22, 2011

we enjoyed the stay there. the food served in the dinner & lunch was good, but we didn't get any variety throughout our 3days stay. the cultural performance was quite enjoyable. we just felt like staying more days......:)

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family