“Blessing in disguise”

Hotel Discovery Inn
Ranked #124 of 207 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed April 24, 2012

My stay at hotel discovery Inn happened by accident and i am so glad that it did. It truly came to me as a guardian angel. I had originally made reservations at hotel silver home right next door, which turned out to be a pathetic experience, and then i automatically moved to Discovery primarily because I wasnt left with an option at that point. But later I realized what a wonderful place this was. The front desk people were extremely helpful and courteous and respectful. Even though i didnt have reservations with them, they tried their level best to accommodate me and let us use their reception area to sit and make phone calls. Since i was accompanied with my mom and aunt they even served them tea and made them comfortable until we figured out our plans. I eventually made a decision to spend a night there and it was fairly decent. I would recommend this place if you are looking for a cheap option and a place to crash and willing to rough it out a bit if required. The main bonus for this place is that they have their own kitchenette to serve basic tea snacks and they staff is extremely courteous. Power cuts are a regular feature, but despite that the owner let me use the front desk invertor enabled point to charge my phone. That was kind of a big deal for me since that was my lifeline. Overall I would say that i would give a thumbs up to this place for the value for money and the friendly staff.

Room Tip: I stayed in 104 which was a triple accommodation and it was fairly decent. I am not sure of the res...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel Discovery Inn

Reviewed April 18, 2012

i was Hotel Discovery inn ktm on march 25 - april 2 that period i found good homly environment ,good n perfect staff,fast internate n wi Fi .comfortable bed....

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank prayagUk
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I just returned from my second stay at the Hotel Discovery Inn, and I would return there again if I visit Nepal in the future. As other reviewers have mentioned, the hotel is centrally located in Thamel, but on a quiet street, so noise is not a problem. There is also a generator, so although you can't use all of your outlets during the frequent power cuts, there will always be light in your room. The attached restaurant/cafe also has a generator, so this left me feeling very confident that the food was not affected by time without refrigeration, etc....

I stayed in two separate rooms, and both were clean and had 24 hour hot water. The water smells strongly of rusty pipes, so it's best to let it run for a couple of minutes to flush the pipes before showering. The staff is very friendly and will help you with anything you need, from accommodation, to taxis, flights and activities. We also met a great travel gulde/guru, Simon Giri, who stays at Discovery Inn when he is in Kathmandu. Ask for him for trekking, rafting, anything.

A few tips to be aware of: The wifi is not reliable on the 3rd and 4th floors, particularly during power cuts. Ask for a room on a lower floor if this is an issue for you. There is also no free taxi service to or from the airport, but the front desk staff will get one for you and let you know what is a reasonable rate to expect. This was very helpful for me on returning to the hotel from Pokhara. Credit cards are accepted ONLY if you book online, but if you pay in cash, you may be able to negotiate a lower room rate.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel for it's consistent standards of service and cleanliness. , and it's friendly and attractive outdoor cafe.

Room Tip: If wifi is important to you, ask for rooms on the first or second floor.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank scubagirlATL
Reviewed March 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for a night and found the staff very helpful, had good access to free wifi and only paid $10 a night for a private room with bathroom. TV with HBO. Now, remember that it is $10 a night, so it's simple (i.e. Hard bed, old bathroom, etc...). But if you're on a budget this place is a good spot.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2012

Hotel center in Thamel .
Nice garden in front of the hotel.
Room It's very clean
All the time very good hot shower.
Hotel people are very friendly
All rooms are sunny rooms
Nice view from the rooftop.
Free WIFI and free Internet
All the time right
And very good cafe garden
Nice food and cheap price

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank moridaisuke
Reviewed November 30, 2011

There is a quiet garden with sunshine even this hotel placed center of Tamel. And also if you have a room that faced garden, it would be nice to have sunshine. then, there is hot shower that is hot enough. so, you can have a rest at the garden even during noisy and dusty kathmandu day time, or you can walk around city center easily which means you don't have to bother about the way to places to eat and shopping.

Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Aki23
Reviewed November 30, 2011

i was in kathmandu for more than a week and choose to stay and come back here because besides is close to everything the staff and the food is great and thats what makes this place my home in kathmandu.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo