The Sparkling Turtle Backpackers Hostel
The Exotic House(Kathmandu)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsmonkey templecommon rooma great place to meetbed dormring roadcommon areassolo travellerhome away from homeplace to staygreat rooftopno hot waterannapurna circuitshort walkroof terracerooms are comfortableenjoyed my stayairport pick
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I traveled throughout Asia for 3 months and The Sparkling Turtle hostel was easily the friendliest, most comfortable and well managed place I stayed. The hostel has fantastic communal areas, inside and out, which provide great places to meet other travelers and enjoy a meal of either local or western cuisine prepared in the kitchen in the hostel.

The food is wonderful and travelers are able to organise just about any kind of adventure through the staff who work there. The rooms are comfortable and well priced and there is a definite sense of security in the hostel.

I will stay at the Sparkling Turtle every time I travel to Nepal!

Hamish Gibson-Smith

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Hamishgs
The Sparkling T, Owner at The Sparkling Turtle Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Dear Hamish Namaste,
It is our pleasure that we had the great opportunity to provide you our services. We feel very glad and excited that we had added one more valuable customer in our satisfied customer list. We are any time ready to provide our full effort to make our customer happy. You are heartily welcome.
next time in our Hostel.
Hostel Team !!!

Reviewed February 21, 2014

I stayed in this hostel for 4 nights just after Nepalese New Year 2013.They have a good chef and big kitchen provided local and western food.The rooms are clean and tidy.There is hot water for shower day and night. The most important is they do have a comfortable living area for travellers to hang out.AND they do provide free wifi.

Hostel is near the monkey temple in Swoyambhu..I personally like the fresh air compare with Thamel Area.The staff is really nice and helpfull. AND the price is value for money.

I definitely will go back to the same hostel if i travel to Nepal again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank abbyli
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I stayed in The Sparking Turtle for 4 nights across my visit to Nepal. I was travelling alone and I would really recommend this hostel for people in the same situation as there is a large roof terrace, kitchen and living area which means it is easy to socialise and meet other travellers.

The hostel is run by exceptionally friendly and helpful local people. They really look after you and make you feel very at home. There is local and western food available freshly cooked at the hostel which is cheap and high quality. The staff also play traditional Nepalese music on instruments which is interesting to see.

The rooms are clean and very importantly the showers deliver hot water! (something I found to be quite hard to find in Nepal!)

The owner KP organised all of my trips for me. I had 10 days in Nepal and wanted to see as much as possible and he organised everything: guides, accommodation, meals, transport etc. I was exceptionally happy with all of the trips and was amazed at the value for money. He has excellent link with the best guides and travel companies so it is well worth booking your trips through the hostel while you are staying there!

I would definitely stay here again if I returned to Kathmandu, which I hope to!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Kimberley S
The Sparkling T, Owner at The Sparkling Turtle Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Dear Kimberly Namaste,
welcome next time in our Hostel.
Hostel Team .

Reviewed February 11, 2014

Outside the main city centre, near the monkey temple, but therefore a great way to retreat and hang out with many fellow backpackers. For rooms it is relatively expensive but definitely go here if you're looking for a dorm.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
The Sparkling T, Owner at The Sparkling Turtle Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your valuable time to drop the comment about your stay with us recently,we are very much happy to read this review and we are glad to know that we were able to made your stay perfect , we look forward to see you again in our hostel.
team of sparkling turtle .

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Run by honest and very friendly people. Place is clean and food is good and always prepared fresh. Location is calm and up on the hill. Any arrangement for trekking or mountain trip is easily handled by staff. We just relaxed and had a good time.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends