“FULL MOON”
Review of Boudha Kitchen

Boudha Kitchen
Ranked #431 of 780 Restaurants in Kathmandu
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: As one takes the circular walk around Boudha - a coordinated simple elevation that blends with the setting reads a signage of Boudha Kitchen. The unassuming small entrance within the shopping arcade at the ground level leads up a small staircase into a contrastingly spacious "open" space above.
Reviewed October 18, 2013

When the full moon rolled around on a Friday night, my wife and I decided we’d like to head to Boudhanath to see the stupa under the full moon. Of course, no evening outing would be complete without dinner so we reserved a table overlooking the stupa at Boudha Kitchen.

We arrived for our 7:30 reservation and found staff and table standing by. Boudha Kitchen is a fairly large, second floor restaurant with forty or so tables, but only five or six overlook the stupa. The maître d’ showed us to our table, clearly marked with a large table tent announcing “RESERVED”. The dining room is decorated in touristy Tibetan but seems clean and well-maintained.

A quick look at the menu revealed that Boudha Kitchen specialized in the commonly found “set meal”. Choices included Nepali, Chinese and Western. There’s also an a la carte menu that has many of the same items plus sandwiches and hamburgers. Not wanting to upset the apple cart by ordering a la carte, we settled on the set menu – Chinese and Nepali.

The food was unremarkable, but the real pleasure was watching crowds of pilgrims streaming by as they made clockwise rounds of the stupa. As we worked our way through dinner, a veil of clouds parted and the full moon peeked through. At that moment, we decided our trip to Boudha Kitchen had been worth the effort.

If you’re coming to Boudha Kitchen for dinner and want to have a view of the stupa, reservations are a must. Make sure to ask for a table next to the windows.

1  Thank doresco
There are newer reviews for Boudha Kitchen

Reviewed October 13, 2013

I went to Boudha Kitchen on a Friday night. The first thing that struck me was how well the restaurant was decorated. It was certainly eye-catching. I chose a table by the window so that I could look out over the stupa.
Upon sitting down I noticed a stain on the tablecloth. Later I also noticed the napkin was also stained. The table was also not properly set. If I had more people with me, we would have had to ask the waiter for more cutlery. The waiter also hovered over me while I browsed the menu. He handed me the menu and didn't leave the table, which is something that makes diners, including myself, feel uncomfortable.
These problems are common in Nepalese-operated restaurants, especially those that are in local suburbs that mainly serve Nepalese people. However, Boudha Kitchen's target market is tourists. The owner really needs to learn how to serve foreigners and what expectations they have when they eat out. Dirty, unset tables and hovering waiters who barely speak English falls below our standards.
I did find the food to be tasty though. The creamy, garlic chicken came with veg and chips and I was relieved when it didn't have bones in it. It was certainly the best part of my experience at Boudha Kitchen. The group across from me seemed to also enjoy their meals.
While the food may be satisfactory at Boudha Kitchen, there are other areas that aren't. These can be easily fixed though with some new tablecloths and some more training to staff.

1  Thank geelongexpat
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Nice Ambiance if you can sit by the window. The free wifi made up for any shortcomings. We enjoyed ourselves

3  Thank George147262
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I went there while visiting Kathmandu. The food was great, and so was the service, along with the view! highly recommended

4  Thank Priti S
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I had lunch here, but it was with a group so we took part in their buffet. It is up a few flights of narrow stairs, so you need to be ready for that. Given the positivity of every other reviewe here, I guess that the buffet just isn't their strong point. It was not good - it comprised of mostly "English" type food such as pasta, chips, chicken-a-la-king and other creamy-style food - so this was not to my taste at all. I did find that the bread was good and there were some steamed vegetables. I think other people in my group who wanted a more "something and chips" type meal were quite happy with it.

3  Thank Ali_Hawkins