“First Time in Kathmandu”
Review of Hotel Nepalaya

Hotel Nepalaya
Ranked #54 of 202 Hotels in Kathmandu
Hereford, United Kingdom
“First Time in Kathmandu”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We have spent 2 nights here before going out to our trek and then another 3 nights at the end of our holiday.
The staff are friendly, attentive and very helpful. Our room on both occasions was 403 and clean and tidy with air conditioning. The bathroom had a shower over the bath and there has been hot water each day, enough for both of us.
We have sampled both the breakfast buffet and set menu and were satisfied with the selections available. Again the waiting staff were attentive and always happy to help. The roof top restaurant is a little oasis with amazing views.
On each day of our stay we have witnessed each floor being thoroughly cleaned by hand and have had the opportunity to have our room cleaned each day too.
Having stayed at Thamel Eco Resort for one night we can say it is quieter, the rooms are far superior (working air con, hot water & WiFi) at Hotel Nepalaya and we would certainly stay here again. Very good value for money.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Croatia, Zg
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I stayed there for two nights, on the beginning and end of my Everest Basecamp trek as a part of deal with agency, so I don't know the price and can't compare it with other hotel.
Location of this one is very good, rooms are clean and no problem with bathroom. Senior staff was very good but lot of younger guys they employed are far from good staff. For example, I left some of my stuff in hotel so I don't have to take it on trek. When I got back, I found out that they toss my stuff in some big room. That was not surprise, but what was is that they mixed it with other stuff and they can not find it anymore so this kids picked me up from my room so I can go and find it. I used revolutionary method back then; picked one by one bag and checked if it is my number on it. Oh yeah, and windows are toward hall.
All in all, fairly comfortable hotel. If you find it for good price and you are not spoiled, you'll be fine.

California
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Fairly comfortable stay - but earplugs absolutely necessary. The corridors echo quite a lot and you will hear sounds of dogs barking and pigeons cooing. The location is fairly central and located down a narrow side street. They offer free pick up from the airport but then try to claw it back again by charging double for the return journey - you need to watch them on that. As for many things in Nepal you'll get quoted a price and ten seconds later they will change it - so remember to stick to your guns.

Room Tip: Avoid low floors which are in permanent darkness due to a high retaining wall creating a shadow on t...
Izmir, Izmir, Turkey
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Very ince rooftop garden reasturan clean rom free wıfı Internet very frındely staff ramesh ıs very good guy breakfast wsa very good free airport pıck up servıce kanal wsa very good he organın my tour I'n kathmandu he ıs very helpful thank you very much all hotel nepalaya staff

1 Thank TC E
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Nepalaya in a deluxe double at a very reasonable rate. For the price there isn't really anything to complain about. The rooms are comfortable and spacious and always cleaned to a high standard. The roof top restaurant is great, very relaxed and a good way to start or end your day. The lobby has also been freshly renovated and the rooms I saw were decorated and maintained in good order.

The hotel is also located in the heart of Thamel, so close to everything. It has the added bonus of being off the main street so is definitely quieter and more secluded than many other accommodation options.

Having stayed in many hotels around the world the thing that makes Hotel Nepalaya particularly stand out is the staff. Both reception, restaurant staff and the owners were always friendly and helpful. They were always keen to address any issues or problems I might have - nothing was too much trouble and I've even learned some Nepalese!

I stayed in a deluxe double near the lift. The great thing about these rooms is that they are very spacious and comfortable. It can sometimes be a little noisy in the morning if people are leaving early but Kathmandu isn't the quietest place in the world so not a huge issue!

There is free WIFI in the hotel but at times it can be a little slow, like most places in Nepal. I found buying cheap data package for my phone and tethering solved this problem if you need to be online.

Room Tip: Rooms next to the lift (208, 308, 408 etc.) are spacious and comfortable but a little noisy sometime...
3 Thank RobH30
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I booked Hotel Nepalaya based only on others' reviews on tripadvisor, and I was relieved when I arrived. I spend more words on the bad things despite giving a "Very Good" rating because a single bad point can ruin an otherwise good experience.

Good:

The hotel is designed to accommodate western travelers, with western toilets (toilet paper!), available A/C, and a clean environment. The staff are friendly, and you can make almost any request and they will see what they can do.

Hot water for showers is available, but may run out quickly depending on other guests.

My stay included a complementary breakfast each morning which was rather good (included an omelet, side of potatoes, 2 slices of bread, a banana, and tea or coffee).

As soon as I checked in, I asked the front desk where I could get a SIM card to access Nepal's cell network. Instead of telling me, they took my money and brought me a defective SIM card. I tried repeatedly to get it work and only realized it was defective when I went to a shop in the city and tried a different SIM card. Furthermore, I found out that the hotel staff overcharged me by 60%! I never got that money back.

The hotel advertises free pickup from the airport, which was fine when I first arrived, though not later. I stayed briefly in Hotel Nepalaya before spending a few nights in Pokhara, then then returned to Hotel Nepalaya before leaving Nepal. When checking in the second time, I met resistance with the free pickup (according to them because I had already been picked up during my first stay --- which makes no sense as this was a new reservation). Eventually they caved.

The provided WiFi access was acceptable, but speeds were slow, and sometimes painstakingly so (although I'm not sure if this is a fault of the hotel or the country's infrastructure).

Room Tip: You can ask the front desk for a tour of the available rooms to scope the locations within the build...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Rohit K
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed at Nepalaya in July 2013 for 15 nights whilst working at the local hospital. The hotel is large, over 7 floors, offering a range of rooms for different budgets. As we stayed so long, we negotiated a good deal on a 'deluxe' room with aircon and a bathtub. The hotel has hot water throughout the day, and the Wifi works in the rooms, which was really useful.

The staff are friendly and helpful, and the hotel also boasts a rooftop bar and restaurant which is high up and offers great views over the city. Food is OK, but there are better places to eat in Kathmandu - e.g. Rosemary Cafe 2 doors down.

Throw in a free airport pick up and overall it is a good package. We visited again yesterday (27th August) and they have now finished a complete refurbishment of the lobby area... It is dead smart, with marble floor, sofas, bookshelves and lockers for bags and computers for wifi.

Room Tip: Negotiate in off season for a better price.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple