“Best in quality/price centrally located hotel”
Review of Hotel Nepalaya

Hotel Nepalaya
Ranked #54 of 202 Hotels in Kathmandu
Moscow, Russia
“Best in quality/price centrally located hotel”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Hotel is hidden from noisy thamel street, which makes it hard to find, but quite quiet. Very cheap for any European and Russian tourist offering decent room, hot water, wifi, good service for the price of 12 euro per night per guest. Would recommend to stay here for anyone travelling with backpack and fine to stay in 2+ star hotel.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dhaka
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I was in a rush for making my trip to Nepal for the first time, I could not book my hotel prior to arrival but after I arrived in Nepal Airport, I was trying to find a good hotel in my budget, I found the Nepal Tourism desk and they gave me a chart for all hotel details. I asked them " I need one neat and clean but budget hotel" They refer me 3-4 hotels and I chose "Hotel Nepalaya" When I reached to the hotel I found that my choice was absolutely right.

Hotel Nepalaya is in the center of the Thamel and very nice hotel, Stuffs are very cordial, Friendly and helpful,

The hotel is neat and clean and quite, Rooms are nice and well arranged,
and all these are within your budget, I am planning if I am going next time with my family I would stay in the same hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank GrommeyDhaka
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed February 27, 2013

hot and cold water available room is clean everything is great food is ok. location is very good also excellent care for guest i enjoy our vacation in this hotel excellent great exuberance thank u nepalaya hotel

Room Tip: first floor
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank narayan_7net
Reviewed February 27, 2013

The Hotel Nepalya has everything you'd want and need for a comfortable accommodation in the heart of Thamel. Although hidden away in an isolated and slightly intimidating alley way the rooms are large, clean, well appointed and great hot showers. Friendly manager, Milan is also available to offer great assistance and advice on any trekking adventures you may be planning. Thanks Milan and staff for a great holiday.
Jan and Philip East
Perth
Western Australia

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Janiceanneast
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed here for six nights and enjoyed the helpfulness of the staff and the location of the hotel. We were slightly disappointed that our room wasn't cleaned during our stay and thus, we had to request clean towels regularly. We also didn't appreciate the tour guide who visited the hotel continually bothering us whilst we sat eating. The men who served the breakfast and drinks were friendly and couldn't do enough to help us and the staff on reception were brilliant; we will definitely return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jamesgilmour
Seinajoki, Finland
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This was my second time in Nepal and in Hotel Nepalaya. I came back because of the very friendly people with huge heart! Totally I stayed one month in Nepal; two weeks trekking and two weeks just hanging out. Hotel stuff are always ready to help you and they always have time for tea with you :) Hotel inside is very nice; they have clean rooms, hot shower and the most beatifullest view from rooftoprestaurant to centre of thamel!!
They also can arrange your round trips and trekking in Nepal!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Laura Y
San Miguel de Tucuman, Argentina
Reviewed February 12, 2013

As always in my personal case, it was a pick after I had done a fair amount of Tripadvisor research. I booked this hotel through www.booking.com. I stayed 4 nights. I was coming from India, so Nepalaya meant Paradise for me!

Location: In the heart of Thamel area, near stores and restaurants, in the tourist track. Within easy walking distance of most of central Kathmandu. Strategic location both for a stopover before heading for the trekking trip out of Kathmandu or if you are just visiting the city and its outskirts. Souvenirs just at the doorstep of the hotel!

Important notice: not easily spot from the road as it is in an internal street (or, to be honest, a dingy alleyway). It does have, however, a big notice where the entrance of the hotel is. I was told that in further renovations the hotel will go through, the entrance will be changed to an easier place to spot.

Room: I booked a standard double room. Spotlessly clean. Spacious. Very comfortable. New carpet and bedcovers. It can be noticed that rooms on this floor (5th) have been recently renovated (including the wall painting). Great glass windows. Lots of natural light. Good beds. Housekeeping is only done if you ask for it. They don’t go into your room without the guest’s authorization, which I found great! Lots of channels on TV, including English ones.

Bathroom: also spotlessly clean. Excellent shower. No problem with hot water (lots of it!). Free toiletries (though they had to be asked at reception as they were not daily provided). They included ayurvedic soap which I loved!

Backup lights in the hotel (including the rooms) to deal with Kathmandu’s severe power constraints, outages and blackouts which are very common. Notice: elevators not working during power cuts, of course!

Breakfast: included in the price. On rooftop. Average. Included: two kinds of fruit, some fresh juice, coffee/tea, omellette, bread & butter and marmalade.

Wi Fi: good. Free.

Rooftop restaurant: lovely, with fabulous views! The food was very good at reasonable prices. Tried the Nepali Thali which was a great choice! However, we also tried other restaurants nearby which were as good as the one in the hotel.

Staff: very polite, welcoming, attentive, friendly and helpful. Everybody with a smile. The lady at the reception was definitely excellent, always efficient and quick. A relaxed atmosphere through the hotel.

We didn’t buy the tours we were offered as we found them overpriced. We got exactly the same for less money.

Details: we were received with a welcoming Himalayan masala tea and given a farewell present. Nice tokens!

We didn’t get a complimentary pick up, as mentioned in other reviews in Tripadvisor.

Credit cards accepted, though with a 4.5 % charge.

Good value for money. Highly recommended!

Thank you for everything Nepalaya staff! Thumbs up for all of you!!!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the 5th or 6th floors if you like natural light
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends