“' Highly recommended Hotel In kathmandu”
Review of Hotel Nepalaya

Hotel Nepalaya
Ranked #44 of 198 Hotels in Kathmandu
Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
“' Highly recommended Hotel In kathmandu”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

It was our first time in Kathmandu Nepal, we have found this Hotel from Booking.com we arrive in Kathmandu 29 September 2012, we had very clean room, It is New Hotel, friendly staff, wonderful Kathmandu and mountain view Nepalaya Roof top Garden Restaurant Central Local of heat of Kathmandu

Room Tip: Higher flower better for nice view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Harun I

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed September 30, 2012

It was our first trip to Nepal and we stayed in hotel Nepalaya four nights. Good location, clean rooms, very friendly staff and the boss Milan was really helpful. We enjoyed the roof top garden with the view of Kathmandu. We can recommend this hotel for other tourists.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank PETLAM008
Vientiane, Laos
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I spent one night in late August, having just arrived in KTM, and booked at the airport for $10 (ea., for 2 rooms, no charge for taxi). While the rooms are adequate, there is no outside window. Staff were very helpful; they remembered when I called a few days later from Pokhara to inquire about a small package of electronic cables and chargers that I left in the room, and they returned it to me at the airport 3 weeks later - exceptional service.
I didn't stay there when I returned to KTM in late September, because the price had doubled. Airport pickup is free. The location in Thamel is convenient.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank John F
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2012

First, the hotel is very nice. The rooftop terrace has great food and serves average food at reasonable prices. It's clean. The only thing would be that they didn't come to clean the rooms, which is fine if you're only there for one or two days but more than that and having to go down to reception to ask for towels/toilet paper isn't really what I'd expect.

The worst aspect of the hotel was the range of people working there who are pushy... this has been mentioned before in other reviews but it bears repeating as it left us with a bitter taste. There are a number of peope whose job it seems to be to go around asking guests what they're doing and then try to organise the trip for them. Usually this is helpful, under the assumption that the hotel is working for you. They are not, however. We wanted to organise a taxi to Nagarkot (for a view of the Himalaya) and at reception when we asked it was STRANGE! All I asked was a) could they organise it? and b) how much should I expect to pay if I ask a taxi driver on the street? This lead to phonecalls and toing and froing - yet Nagarkot is a typical Lonely Planet pitstop that EVERYONE goes to (unfortunately) but they were on the phone to the boss and gave me a price from which they would have taken a hefty cut. 4,500 rupees. I went outside and got a taxi - even without negotiating - for 2,500. This happened again when I wanted to go to Patan. Exactly the same process.

So, don't ask them for advice on going to places. Then when we didn't book, the owner ignored us for the final two days of our stay! Even though he'd been overly attentive (ie annoying) for the previous time. This felt dishonest and didn't make for a nice atmosphere.

In sum, the 2/3 guys who claim to be the owner (and might well be) are intrusive and are nice so that and until you give them money. Nice place, dishonest people.

If you do end up staying at the Nepalaya, my advice would be to snub their overpriced offers on the very first day thus inducing them to sulk and leave you alone so you can enjoy this wonderful city.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Mark G
Tel Aviv, Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed at Nepalaya, Me and and my partner and had a wonderful time. it was our first trip to Nepla and we were warmly greeted at the airport(: The owner Milan is very friendly and helpful. The best is the roof top garden where there is a view of Kathmandu and you see the mountains.
Best best place. Rooms are comfortable . Great location and all the staff is friendly. Warm hospitality. We stayed here for 3 nights.
Sharone and Eli
Tel-Aviv
Israel

Room Tip: if you are interested in a deluxe room with a private bath, we stayed at room #306. Ther is also an...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Eli K
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I stayed in this hotel in 2011 and was very happy there. I don't know what other people expect from Nepal. The first time I arrived in Nepal, I booked via the Internet a place called Annapurna guest house. Some staff supposed to wait for me at airport it dindn't happen. There was nobody and if it wasn't for people from hotel Nepalaya, my first impression about Nepal would be very disappointing. Not only they took me to Thamel for free but helped me to move my luggage to Nepalaya hotel the following hotel for free (Thank you Badri;). I'd say don't stay in Annapurna gh because I felt harrased the time I entered this place. The manager told me that apparatly I sent him e-mail saying that I don't require pick up from the hotel. When I asked him to show me this email, he said he's already erased that;). Then he demanded money for the pick up which was done by staff I met coincidently at the airport (the staff from hotel Nepalaya). So as you can see, I can only recommend hotel Nepalaya. It's centrally located, staff are extremely helpful and attentive. I consider Milan (the manager) as a friend and if come back to Nepal I'll definitely contact him. Good luck. E.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Anna2507
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I booked a suite in the Nepalaya Hotel, and arrived late at night. I received a double room instead. After checking the reservation on my mail, I went back to the reception where I was verbally agressed and almost insulted by the manager. After some arguments and some vague explanations, I eventually received the room I booked and paid. The next day, the room was not cleaned when I came back from a city trip. Upon request told me once again the manager. So, I requested ( first time iin my life ) that the room is beeing cleaned every day. Same for the towels, I had to go to the reception to ask fresh towels. After 3 nights, they tried to charge me items from the mini bar I did not consumed. And also tried to make me pay an extra because I used my credit card via a reservation site. This place is a shame and left me with a bitter taste in the month. There are plenty of nice hotel in Kathmandu and certainely not recommend this one. Others guests were also complaining during my stay. To avoid urgently !!!

• Stayed September 2012