Hotel Nepalaya
$123
Radisson
$101
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Yak & Yeti(Kathmandu)
$159
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
$135
  • Pool
All reviewsrooftop restaurantfree airport pick up servicehot waterfree wifimountain viewnice rooftoprooms are cleankathmandu valleyvery nice hoteltrekking tripbooked this hotelcentral thamelsecond homenice roombudget hotelhotel stafftourist area
Reviewed December 9, 2011

I sent a mail for booking this hotel before I came to Nepal. But they reply me very late. I waited in airport for pick up. But I wait for half and hour still didn't get it.
Then I move to other hotel is out of thamel.
I came back this hotel after I back from pokhara. I asked the price in reception that was cheaper than they told me in mail. The hotel manager Milan told me in mail Standard Room is
cost $21 and Deluxe room is cost $28. When I came to ask in reception, standard room just cost $15 and Deluxe room just cost $20. So I recommend traveler must not book this hotel in internet. They are very dishonesty. I meet one us girl. she stay in standard room and nothing different with my deluxe room. My room just get A/C only. But it's cold in nepal, I no need use it. My room is very dark, cold and dusty.
Here don't have hot water, have wifi ( not fast).
For restaurant, the view is very nice, but the food is really bad. I order a pizza is just a bread with cheese topping. Many restaurant in thamel is better than here and cheaper than here. The waiter none of them have good services and looking for tips.
I stayed here for 1 nights, here is quite noisy. A lot of nepali drunker in roof top restaurant distrub your sleeping. It's too many people sell travel serives. you can't get any free time in this hotel. Whatever you sleep or eat.
I use computer in lobby and the reception staff was looking at me use facebook. I feel no private. It's very bad attitude in the staff.
Specially when I check out, they charge more money. I never stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank EmilyWhite2244
ACMilan1984, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Nepalaya, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2012

Dear Emily,
I believe we started on the wrong foot, as we met at the airport, and you encountered our representative and mistook him for another, and you demanded to go to another hotel. Nevertheless, our room prices our now fixed, as you can see on our improved website(some of our prices, when discussing online, include airport pickup and drop off, thus the price difference). We are sorry you didn't like your room, our rooms have many windows and let the sunshine in, and are cleaned daily; the hot water runs perfectly now and the WiFi is also going with full strength. As for the food, our chef has changed and is now capable of making many eloquent Nepali plates as well as western specialties, we believe the food and service is now a as good as the view.
As for the privacy issue, we apologize that this was the case for you, the situation has been rectified in all possible ways. We really believe we offer a familial feeling in our establishment and we ask you sincerely to give us another chance to prove our good intentions and the motivation to making our guest stay as memorable and as comfortable as possible,
Milan Adhikari,
Hotel Nepalaya

Reviewed December 8, 2011

This Hotel was a little difficult to find being down a little alley, but I happened to glance down the alley at the right time and saw the sign. The positives for this place are as follows: comfortable mattress, free internet, a nice rooftop area ( restaurant was so-so), and friendly staff. The negatives: the room was very dusty with a thick layer of black dust on the fan, room was also noisy at night with guests moving chairs in the restaurant area above our room which continued late into the evening.

Room Tip: Do not take on of the rooms on the top floor, as the restaurant area can get loud if drunken tourists decide to hang out up there.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 8, 2011

I came here after a recommendation and while there are many things going for it, overall I would not recommend this hotel.

The room I got was nice. If you can, get a room on the top floor which gives you the best views. The rooms vary a lot- many are dark and depressing.

The restaurant:
Good points- it is high up so you get nice views.
Bad points- the food is nothing special. You can get much better food at the same price elsewhere in Thamel.

Staff:
Previous posts have commented about the friendliness of the staff. A few of the staff (especially at the reception) were certainly very nice and friendly.
But this is not true of all the staff. A few, at best, were indifferent and unhelpful.
While a couple of were actually rude.

Also beware that the government tax and charge for credits cards are on top of any quoted price.

Bathroom:
Clean, but I had a few days of cold water. The water was also brown in colour (varying shades) for most of my stay.

If it was not peak season I would have moved hotel.

Room Tip: Top floors are the best.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank J D
Reviewed December 7, 2011

Overall a very nice experience. The hotel is centered in Thamel but tucked back off an alley so not quite as noisy.It is also close to some good affordable restaurants (they also have one in the hotel), loads of shopping, some fun areas, and site seeing. It is also walking distance (about 10-15 min) to the permit office (if you a trekker this is handy). And it seemed like we would be able to set just about anything we needed up with them if we chose. The whole staff was also very kind and fun to chat with.

Room Tip: We had room 603 which was their largest room I believe (and the room that was pictured on Trip Advisor.)
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dirtyhippy
Reviewed November 30, 2011

We paid $40 for a 'deluxe' room in this hotel for a night in Kathmandu before flying out to Pokhara to go trekking.

We picked the deluxe room because we were on our honeymoon, but there was nothing deluxe about the room at all. Apparently the only difference between the standard and deluxe rooms was air conditioning, which would have been good to know in advance as given the time of year we had no need for air con.

We booked the hotel through a trekking agent so I have no idea what cut he took but suspect it must have been substantial as there was no way the room was worth what we paid. In fact, even though we had paid for the hotel in advance for a second night in Kathmandu after returning from trekking, we decided to sacrifice what we had already spent and go to a different hotel, which was cheaper and much nicer.

The hotel room was very cold, run-down, smelly, and did not seem clean. I slept in my sleeping bag rather than on the sheets. I would strongly recommend not staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple