“friendly”
Review of The Hub, Lazimpat

The Hub, Lazimpat
Ranked #203 of 469 Kathmandu B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 22, 2012

although this place was good value since they put us all (2 adults/2 children) in one room,instead of 2 as expected,for $25 with breakfast,we were rather dissapointed overall by a few minor problems.we only had breakfast on 1 day since it consisted of 2 slices of bread with mayo and cucumber and carrot.they had a dog in the house which my son does not like.and the rooms could have been cleaner! (beds ok ,but bathroom and cupboards should have been cleaner).not very handy for restaurants,although this didnt bother us a we ate prior to returning each day.no hot water on overcast days,but warm when sunny.however staff were helpful and welcoming.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed February 18, 2012

I would describe our stay at The Hub, Lazimpat as average and I question the value for money here. Maybe it was because we had to have cold showers on two of the three nights we were here (whatever the problem was, it was fixed by our third night) and that we value a decent at least luke warm shower where possible. Our room downstairs didn't seem all that clean, while it appeared as though the attached bathroom had not been given a thorough clean. The Hub is located about a 20-30 minute walk to Thamel which is definitely manageable. There appeared to be minimal food/drink options around The Hub itself. There's no doubting that the staff here try to make your stay a comfotable one, but the cleanliness and lack of hot shower during our stay here unfortunately meant that we had just an average stay here.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room upstairs - they may be a little lighter, warmer and have more consistent access...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 6, 2011

It is a long time ago I actually felt the need to write something about a hotel I stayed at but I really found The Hub very recommendable. We stayed here for three nights in the beginning of november. Since the main-building was under renovation we had to stay at the second building which - as the manager assured us - was not in the same good shape as the main building is.
Both are located in the calm residential area Lazimpat, only around 15 minutes walk from the very touristic neighborhood Thamel. It might not be the place of choice for those who want to party but everyone else will surely appreciate the location as an excellent starting point for explorations into Kathmandu and the surroundings.
However, the most remarkeable thing about this guest house was the excellent service that made us feel like coming home every evening we returned from our trips. Every day one of the two managers would drop by and ask us about how we were and if there was anything we needed. It did not matter if we wanted to get some recommendations or if we just wanted to chat - the staff would be there for us and even showed real interest.
Our room was okay, tidy and worth the money and the food we got any time we asked for it was just delicious (I recommend the Newari Set). If we come back to Kathmandu (and I think we will) The Hub will be the place where we are going to stay.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2011

The Hub is amazing. It is clean, spacious, homely, and an amazing value. Apart from the beautiful accommodation, the staff are so friendly and are willing to help you with whatever you need. It's refreshing to stay in such a hospitable and well-maintained place after going from dirty guest house to dirty guest house. When I arrived here for my few days stay I was overjoyed by everything about this place. The location is great, especially since it's not right in the middle of bustling Thamel. I would definitely recommend this for solo travellers, groups, and even families; great place! Plus the beds were so comfortable!

Reviewed October 14, 2011

I stayed at the Hub for a good month and a half. It was my "basecamp" in Nepal to travel in some parts of the country. When i was away from Kathmandu, they kept my stuff & bags i did not want to bring for no extra charge. I was looking for something that was NOT in Thamel but close to it. This guesthouse was perfect, close to a taxi stand ( near the little temple) and 2 minutes from Kings way, 5 min from Thamel ( when no traffic with taxi-rigshaw) and other must see sites in Kathmandu. You can actually walk safely at any time from the guesthouse and wonder around to discover a real residential Kathmandu neighborhood with few tourists.The 2 brothers that runs the guesthouse and the staff were really awesome, they take care of everything...and i mean everything... from laundry to food, drinks & booze, transport arrangements and any requirements for accommodations and confort. They really make sure you have a pleasant stay. The guesthouse is new and has been open and operational for less then 10 months. The whole guesthouse is well maintain and very clean. The rooms and the beds are confortable with hot water, free wifi internet is available everywhere in the house and on the outside balconies. The staff are really friendly, professional and super relax, the prices are good (from single bed to queen size deluxe rooms) and you pay when you feel like it, there is no stress at all. I had a great time there and i will come back for the lay back atmosphere and the supercool staff. Me and my girlfriend really enjoyed the Hub, awesome spot in Lazimpat, Kathmandu if you are looking for a alternative from the Thamel tourist trap.

Room Tip: Depending if you are solo or a couple, ask the Brothers for the the type of rooms you would like to...
2  Thank jimjeremie
Reviewed October 2, 2011

When I first came to the Hub I immediately noticed how much nicer it was compared to all the other places I had stayed in Nepal.
The Nepalese brothers that run the guesthouse are very open and welcoming. The house is centrally located, so it’s easy to get around and there is an added bonus of having a quiet neighborhood surrounding. The bedrooms, like the rest of the house, are very clean as well as elegantly and comfortably furnished. The food they served was amazing. Guests also have the option of cooking in the big kitchen, which is equipped with everything one could ask for. I especially liked the beautiful balconies to relax outside.
There is nothing negative I could come up with. Thank you for your hospitality!

Reviewed September 16, 2011

Highly recommended: clean; frendly; value for money
I am coming to the end of my 9 day stay at 'The Hub Lazimpat' - and will be returning in 2 weeks after my trip to Tibet because it is such a great place. In a residential area & run by 2 Nepalese brothers, so you experience the local way of life. Out of the crazy hustle & bustle of Thamel but within easy walking distance or taxi costs 150NRP [less than £1.50].
Half way between homestay & guest house, come & go as you please. Own room, with or without private bathroom, and use of balconies, living room, dinning room & kitchen - cook your own food, but why when breakfast is included and other meals [genuine Nepali dishes] on request much cheaper and better than restaurants.

Room Tip: All rooms good
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo