“family friendly feel”
Review of Thamel Eco Resort

Thamel Eco Resort
Ranked #60 of 210 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed May 7, 2012

This hotel is very well located in Kathmandu and the staff are just lovely. Nothing is too much trouble, smiles are premanently fixed on their faces and a big interest in the guests movements and needs make hotel a sort of home away from home.
It's clean, beds are very comfortable and meals are lovely. If you score a room on level 5 , regard that as training for your upcoming trek! Please remember that this is a boutique hotel in the sense that it is small enough to sometimes be overbooked if people change their plans or dates so best to book in advance.
Like elsewhere in Nepal, there are power shortages but the hotel uses a power generator if it happens in the evenings. Solar Hot water is primarily used to heat water however, during my stay, I believe they installed an electric heating back up system as more hot water was available . At any rate, I suggest that travellers change their morning shower habit to an evening one since it works with the solar heating system AND it is difficult to stay clean enough all day in Kathmandu to get to bed without another wash!
the 2 points that they need to work on, is to organise room allocation well in advance of trekkers returning to hotel and to reply to emails for extra night private bookings. There were some nights also when a couple of dogs barked incessantly making it an unrestful night ....someone please attend to that!
Staff are happy to refer you to a massage place nearby and yoga is offered on the top floor on demand .... however they will not bring a yoga teacher in just for 1 person.
I would be happy to stay there again especially after I had to try another type of hotel for 1-2 nights down the road.

Room Tip: ask to stay in the new section ...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed April 27, 2012

Pros: comfortable beds/rooms, helpful staff, clean, lovely courtyard, buffet food is fine, location in the midst of Thamel. Excellent Tibetan Cafe 2 doors down. Concierge will arrange for massage etc. Flushing western toilets, and filtered water available throughout the day. This was a very comfortable hotel to stay at after a trek, and is as western as I experienced in my 2 weeks through the Annapurna.

Cons: yes the hot water is intermittent, but I believe its solar? We were moved to another hotel when we arrived in KTM as the Thamel Eco had overbooked and not emailed us beforehand.

If you want a Nepalese hotel to be all that you have at home...stay at home, Nepal just isn't like that. Or stay at an expensive Hyatt/Hilton.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2012

My friend and I stayed here for 3 nights in April 2012. We were on a trekking tour and had booked 2 additional nights prior to the start of our trip. The night we arrived, we were delayed several hours in Hong Kong. At about 2 am, we arrived and were picked up in a mini van arranged by the trekking company and headed for Thamel. After passing what appeared to be the Thamel Eco, we stopped in front of a deserted alley and were told that we (and another man in the van) would have to get out as we were staying at another hotel. After considerable discussion, it became clear that the Thamel was overbooked. We stayed in the other hotel (clearly cheaper than the Thamel) and the next morning, the Thamel staff came to escort us to their hotel.

We then stayed 2 nights on the the 4th floor of the old side of the building. The room was Ok - clean enough and relatively spacious. The buffet breakfast and lunches were good - reasonable amount of choice and generally fresh. One night, we opted for the dinner buffet ($7 US net) - it was tasty.

During our stay, there were power outages on a regular basis (it appears that they put the generator on only at night) and a lack of hot water for showers (this was hit or miss) but I expect that this is common for many hotels in Kathmandu.

Although fairly quiet, we were awakened in the middle of the night, as were several others on our trek, by two very loud barking dogs. They are known to staff as they live near the hotel.

Upon our return from trekking, we were on the 2nd floor of the new side of the building for 1 night. The room was MUCH nicer - larger, newer, nicer flooring - and quieter due to the location tucked away in the corner.

I found the staff quite friendly and always willing to help with baggage. However I didn't have much success asking for help in making travel arrangements. We wanted to book a "mountain" flight to see Everest, etc. The front desk was totally unable to help. After we booked the flight with a travel agent on the street, we tried to arrange a taxi to pick us up. We had to talk to three different groups of staff including the "night man" and were assured a taxi would be waiting at 5 am. When we went down to reception at 0455, it was clear that no taxi had been arranged for 0500...after waking up reception staff, a staff member ran out to the street and found a taxi. In the end, no harm was caused but it was still frustrating.

The night before we were leaving, I asked at the front desk at about 10 pm whether we could keep our room for an extra 1/2 day as we were departing late the following night. I was told that I would have to check the following day. When I asked the price if a room was available, I was told that would depend and I should check the following day...I decided not to bother.

One other thing to note - the price of rooms appears flexible. We paid $120 US for 2 extra nights ($60 per night). Others appeared to be quoted $30-$60. per night.

But for the first night overbooking and the taxi debacle, I would have rated this hotel as 4 star...

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank SueyF2012
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Thamel Eco Resort is located in the heart of Kathmandu. I indicated the Hotel to few people already but apparently it was fully booked so if you are planning to go for this Hotel is better check the availability as soon as possible.
The room was quite big and clean. I was not expecting such a good room for the price I paid. I had air conditioning in my room also.The bathroom was ok.
I spent two nights in Kathmandu and left my extra luggage at the Hotel for two weeks and it was there when I came for one more night.
There is some like a strip club close to the Hotel. The first impression is that the place will be noise because of the loud music however you can hear it only at the reception as the rooms as far in the back.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank crsbrz
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Things I liked about this hotel were the central garden, kind staff, walking distance to restaurants and posted power outage schedule. It made our stay in Kathmandu more manageable than it otherwise would have been. Kathmandu is an adventure!

Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cindy A
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Thamel Ecoresort was a very nice place to stay during my time in Kathmandu... especially with all the side trips I made, it was comforting to always come back to a place that felt familiar. The hotel is clean, pretty, and fairly quiet compared to the chaotic frenzied pace of the rest of the city. I felt safe enough to walk around the shopping neighborhoods too. Most of all, I liked this hotel for the warm, friendly, helpful people who work there--- they were so sweet and supportive, and they made me feel totally at home!

Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Daivati
Reviewed March 25, 2012

My wife and I are around 30 and stayed in this hotel for a few nights. While Kathmandu wasn't our cup of tea, we found this hotel to be a nice escape for the city. The rooms were clean, the bed was comfortable, there was tv, and pretty good wifi. The courtyard, staff, and breakfast (included) are all great! Located in Thamel, but far enough away from the bars, that the partying isn't annoying. We paid $50 a night, which is high, but they were totally booked, so stayed firm on their pricing. We weren't disappointed!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple