“Best sleep during trip”
Review of Thamel Eco Resort

Thamel Eco Resort
Ranked #58 of 205 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed November 19, 2011

This hotel is very presentable from the outside. Cute courtyard and very good service by staff overall. Beds and blankets were the most comfortable of all the hotels we stayed at during our 13 day trip to Nepal. Our room was on the small side but extremely clean and comfortable. However, because it was located directly above the kitchen, we often got smoke coming into our room in the mornings. I was scared to take a shower because of the electrical outlets and plugs that were really close by. Water was leaking through our walls in the bathroom. Very low water pressure and no hot water most of the time. Stairways were very wet slippery when raining, which is unusual unless water is leaking through the walls there too. Food at the hotel is not good. I would suggest going out to eat as there are many restaurants that are reasonably priced and very tasty in the tourist area of Kathmandu.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Thamel Eco Resort

Reviewed November 18, 2011

Hotel went beyond our expectations.Quite clean and neat with new furniture . Comparatively hotel can be compared to more than a 2 star facility. Hotel staff quite smiling and helping. A buffet breakfast worth the price. Filtered water available and safe to drink. Garden nicely made up. We enjoyed our stay and would be back to this hotel for our future stay at Kathmandu.

2  Thank nileprince
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Central location in Thamel yet relatively quiet (other than the music from a nearby dance bar which prevents early nights).

Very clean and modern furnishing. Helpful staff although slight touches of the Fawlty Towers about it such as returning clothes put in the laundry all nicely folded in a bag but not actually washed!

Breakfast very good though it would be nice to be able to sit in the lovely courtyard to have it.

For the price, a good choice for a day or 2.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 17, 2011

This place is a nice place in the Thamel area. Great walkaround area, nice off street location.

Pros:
Great location
Clean, spacious room (mine was)
Decent bathroom, decent lighting.
Not dirty
Attentive staff
Good breakfast
GREAT wifi (free)
Off main street, back a block

Cons:
Hot water didn't work when I was there (is this the eco-friendly part?)
Area can be noisy, but not as noisy as on street. Noisy till midnight where I was.
Area is full of annoying hippie backpackers ;) (JK, this is Thamel, Nepal)

Othewise, nice place. Not sure the rate (as I was on package), and not sure what is "eco-friendly" about this hotel. Seemed same as anything else.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 16, 2011

The hotel looks really nice and I was so excited to saty there on my last night in Thamel.
The girl in the front desk help us a lot to find the way to Hotel and the hotel manger is also really nice to give us a good price for only one night. We got a room which located at the coner on 1 st Floor, it is a small room and no open window. The room is a little bit smelly even we use fresh spary to make the room feel better.. hot shower is only available for first 10 mins, after that, it came warm water only. our room is really close to another room and when people chat at the coffee table which mean only one door distance between outside and our room, it was very noise expecially we went to bed at 11 pm but people still talking a lot just right in front of my room. When we check out, there are 3 guys around the front desk and they were talking to each other and also look at us all the time, we were very busy to repack our lugguage and need to get a taxi to the airport. these 3 guys just keep watching us and when I asked them to help us get a taxi, they told me the price to the airport is a double price. I told them I paid Rs 300 from airport to their hotel and the price is no more than Rs 500 even for the night time. They just stand there and told me it is impossible. If I want to get the taxi, just find the Taxi by myself!

2  Thank Claire H
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Short version:
My wife and I stayed at this hotel twice during our trip to Nepal, for 2 days before our trek and 1 day after the trek. We did not have hot water on 2 out of the 3 days we stayed there (I was willing to give them 3/5 att his point). Manager decides to make excuses and does not apologize (thus the rating becomes 1/5).

Long version:
Our tour agent had booked this hotel for us for 2 nights before our trek and 1 night after our trek. Despite a request by our tour agent for a double bed room, we were provided with a twin room which we spent our first night in.

On the first night when we decided to take a shower there was no hot water. The hotel staff told us to leave the hot water tap running for ten minutes before taking our shower but it was still lukewarm after an hour.

We complained to the front desk about this and on the second day we had a shower in the afternoon and there was hot water so that was fine.

We arrived back at the hotel again after the trek at about 2pm and we asked the front desk whether they had hot water available NOW and whether it was safe to take a shower. They replied with confidence that the hotel has hot water 24hrs a day. So my wife proceeded to take a shower but this time the water was cold. We called the front desk and they told us to wait about five to ten minutes with just the hot water running. We did that and the water was still cold, so we called the front desk again and they sent someone up to verify / check our bathroom. The staff came up to check our bathroom and left the room. My wife, not sure of whether he was coming back, called the front desk again and they sent another staff up to check again.

After about an hour, they told us that the hot water "system" was not working for our room and the room next to ours. They then said that they would try to find us another room since only these two rooms did not have hot water. We then waited for about 20mins withour response, so we called the front desk again and this time they brought us 2 buckets of hot water to the room so finally we got to take a shower. At this point I was still willing to give this hotel a 3 out of 5 rating, as the problem with the hot water was the only issue I had (although very inconvenient since we were not able to shower for several days during the trek).

The next day, upon our check out, a man (which I presume to be the manager or part of management) came to ask me if there was hot water this morning. I told him, yes there was and he proceeded to explain that there was nothing wrong with the hot water system and that the hot water system was solar powered during the day and powered by normal electricity only at night. So if there was no sun during the day, then there may not be any hot water. I then replied to him that if this was really the case, it should have been explained to us( at the start or at least when we had asked whether it was okay to shower now when we returned from the trek). However, he did not respond to my reply and I was ignored after that (intentionally or not, I don't know, but its irrelevant). Here is when I decide that this place can only get a 1 out of 5 rating from me.

There was no attempt by him or anybody from the hotel for that matter, to apologise for any inconvenience it caused us. Instead, he tried to make excuses and this is the main issue I have. And I say excuses because his explanation does not agree with what the staff were telling us the day before (since they were trying to find us another room that had hot water). It also doesn't match with the "24 hrs" hot water that they advertise, if hot water is intermittent / solar powered during the day then please tell your guest before hand (especially since we keep asking about it!). The solar power story also doesn't seem to make sense since we showered in the evening (after dark) on the first day and there wasn't hot water then.

If he had not tried to make excuses, this might have been a much better review.

4  Thank 555_Travel
Reviewed November 12, 2011

I have been to Nepal 3 times now and stayed in quite a few places. The Eco resort is by far the best place to stay.
The rooms are big, modern, clean and comfortable. The beds are really comfy. The staff are some of the most friendliest people I've ever met and so efficient.
The location is perfect, right in the middle of Thamel. The food at the hotel is really good and there is free wi-fi in all the rooms.
This place is excellent value for money and I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure ask for one f the bigger rooms on the right side of the hotel, there are some smaller room...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends