“Part of their Family”
Review of Backyard Hotel

Backyard Hotel
Ranked #21 of 207 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed June 10, 2014

From my first emails to Sunil, enquiring about availability and cost of accommodation, less than a week in advance, I felt welcomed.
Sunsil answered all my questions, was very prompt with his replies and very professional.
I work within the travel industry, and these qualities had reassured me I was booking with a hotel that cared for their customers. I was right.
My first time visiting Nepal, female, traveling alone, I was picked up from Kathmandu airport, then welcomed by the warm friendly and professional staff at Backyard Hotel. My first request was to find out where I could purchase a local SIM card for my phone. They didn't just give directions, which is all I had expected, Sunsil (also the breakfast chef) escorted me up streets around a block then down a side street. He spoke to the gent at NCELL and I was looked after. Sunsil also recommended places for me to dine. All this without any expectations of tipping.
Chandon, organized his driver Subas, to take me to all the highlights in and around Kathmandu. The tour in his a/c clean jeep, was well worth the money spent. Subas, was extremely informative, patient, pleasant and very professional. Chandon also organized my next 2 nights accommodation as a package deal at Chitwan.
Nothing was too much trouble. All staff including Raj could not do enough for me. I have stayed at 5 star hotels and have not experienced this hospitality by some.
My room was clean, fresh sheets, I had my own bathroom and a little balcony. Air conditioner (that I didn't use), TV and wifi. They are in the process of purchasing their own generator for the hotel. It didn't inconvenience me at all, that they didn't have one at present.
I enjoyed staying there so much the first 2 nights in Kathmandu, after traveling around Nepal, I made sure I booked my last night at Backyard Hotel prior to leaving the country.
Generally, my 'principle' is once I have visited a place/country to move on to the next one.
I can honestly say, the people I met in Nepal throughout my journey,starting with all the staff and management at Backyard Hotel, I will return. THANKYOU for making me feel safe and part of your 'family'.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Backyard Hotel

Reviewed June 10, 2014

Fairly central if you want to stay in Thamel/tourist area of Kathmandu. Not expensive but if you're on a budget you can do slightly better if you're determined. The owner/manager is a bit full of himself and best avoided, although he has some nice staff who speak English well and are quite helpful. Standard of cleanliness and things working is about the same as you get anywhere at this level of pricing. Fine, but don't come if you want Western standards.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Josh F
Reviewed June 4, 2014

If you are looking for a great, clean, and convenient place to stay in Thamel, your best bet is the Backyard Hotel. I needed to stay in Thamel for two weeks to get a an Indian visa extension, and the staff and service of Backyard was by far my most positive experience there. If I wanted 10 bottles of water, they brought it to my room, if I wanted to go out at 5 am to jog, they would wake up and open the door for me. Every way in which I needed to be accommodated Backyard complied with and beyond. The rooms are always clean (thanks to the amazing Didi's that work there) and there is always hot water. At only approximately 15 USD per night, I was comfortable and well taken care of the whole time. Absolutely no complaints here, Backyard is the place to stay in Thamel. And again, what makes it so great are the people that work there, from the friendly reception guys to the Didis!!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Josh S
Reviewed June 1, 2014

I like the environment in this hotel. It is at central location in Kathmandu. People were friendly and the prices are Ok. The terrace had a very nice view. I stayed for 1 week and felt very comfortable and relaxed.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Had a great time staying at the backyard as it's name it's not in chaotic road but still in central Thamel clean room very friendly staffs great service in a budget that's what I liked totally recommended

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2014

I stayed at Backyard Hotel twice and have no negatives. The staff are always friendly, we trained and professional, they make you feel very at home. The rooms are large & clean and very comfortable. Breakfast is included on the roof terrace, there's always a newspaper and a great view of the city. In reception the staff are quick & efficient and there is always a free tea or coffee and someone to talk to for advice. The location is perfect for exploring Kathmandu and the travel center will take care of all your request for onward travel & activities. I stayed 5 nights then came back for a single night before flying out and was treated like a VIP, such great hospitality and I will definately be back and recommend Backyard Hotel to anyone heading to Nepal. A special mention for Sunil who answered my emails promptly & in a friendly manner and took care of everything in a real professional manner. Thank you Backyard Hotel.

Room Tip: Front facing rooms are large & bright.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 31, 2014

People working there are very friendly from housekeeper to manger. Great place to stay and has a good view of the city. Clean and peaceful and away from all the crowd and noises. It has got great interiors and can easily make you feel next to home

• Stayed: November 2013