“First Class service with a smile”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Backyard Hotel

Backyard Hotel
Ranked #15 of 193 Hotels in Kathmandu
UK
“First Class service with a smile”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

The hospitality and service provided by Durga and his excellent staff is exceptional. This is a top quality low cost hotel which thrives on the Customer First leadership of the owner manager -Durga. After 9 months of travel in Asia this was the first hotel that communicated direct with me providing useful information within 1 hour of making an on line booking. This communication continued throughout my stay, with all staff providing me with advise,support and friendship which enabled me to maximise the use of my time in Kathmandu and get a real insight into life in Nepal. The arrangement made for sightseeing and a short walking excursion to view the Aannarpurna Range including provision of a first class Guide were fantastic. Thank you for making my visit to Nepal a truly memorable event.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
TSUNEAL, Manager at Backyard Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear Guest from United Kingdom, Namaste!!

Greetings from Backyard Hotel!!

Thank you for the review and thank you again for your stay at our hotel. We were pleasured being at your service. Hope we get this opportunity in future again. We are glad you liked our place. All the best to you. Thank you.

Sunil Manandhar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Francisco
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Durga and his staff provide exception service and their efforts turned out to be a key element in making our October/November trip to Nepal a great success. Within minutes of our arrival at the hotel, Durga and his staff had a clear understanding of our objectives and needs, and they immediately got to work. Within two hours of arrival (note this was during Dashain - the biggest holiday of the year in Nepal), we had a trekking guide lined up, Rs. in hand, a hot shower, a car lined up for 5 AM the next morning, extra gear in storage, special outside errands run by staff and were sitting at Fire and Ice Pizza (also highly recommended) down the street with beer in hand. These guys make stuff happen and get it right. Our post-trek return to the hotel was equally great. Great showers in this place...hot with lots of water. Unbelievable after 20 days in the mountains. The Backyard staff provide the kind of hotel service experience that really makes a difference on the road. Hats off to these guys. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to friends and family, or for anyone seeking unbelievable service and value.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Trad_Master

Tuusula, Finland
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I spent three nights at Backyard Hotel in Novemer, 2012. The hotel premises are typical three star level, but all the personnel has a five star service attitude, and they are willing to help you whenever needed.

I was also very pleased for their travel services. I organized an 8 days trekking trip to Annapurna Base Camp via their travel service, and got an excellent guide and porter, and had a fantastic trekking experience with them. The full package included everything except personal expences (also transportation to Pokhara by a car, and two nights in a hotel in Pokhara). Very positive experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Petri J
TSUNEAL, Manager at Backyard Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear Guest from Finland, Namaste!!

San Francisco
Reviewed November 30, 2012

The hotel picked me up at the airport, no problem. The room was decent with a semi-view of Thamel. In the evening, hot water was not available so I had to skip my shower. In the morning however, there was hot water. The bathroom didn't have any curtains, just an open window so I took a shower overlooking the neighbors.

WIFI was available and acceptable given it's Nepal. Not fast but at least it was working.

The BAD PART! I trusted them since they appeared to be nice so I bought my bus ticket from the hotel. WRONG! They cheated me, sold me a $20 bus ticket and told me it was a luxury bus similar to Greenline. It was not. It was a regular tourist bus that would have only costed me $10 at travel agency outside the hotel. I felt lied to and cheated.

Room Tip: Go for the top floor else you'll be looking at other buildings.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank myl4

Greetings from Backyard Hotel!!

Thank you for the review and thank you again for your stay at our hotel. We were pleasured being at your service. Hope we get this opportunity in future again. We are really sorry for the inconvenience you had at our hotel. We will make sure this does not happen again in the future. All the best to you. Thank you.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 29, 2012

For the price of the room we received good service from the staff. They woke up earlier than business to take care of our bags before we headed out on our trek. The hotel arranged for our taxi to pick us up from the airport to the hotel in the very late evening. Hotel had complimentary breakfast in the morning with toast, eggs, coffee and masala potatoes. It was also at the roof top with a view of Kathmandu at sunrise.

The rooms are comfortable with a TV and cable channels. The shower was the highlight. Hot shower and clean bathroom! Heater and air conditioning was also available.

Hotel managed to find us a room after coming back a day early from our trek. We really appreciated the effort and we were delighted to have stayed with Backyard Hotel. The hotel also helped us by storing our backpacks while we wait for our flight out in the late afternoon.

Hotel is located in the heart of Thamel. Easy access to the main street and to the many stores around Thamel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Wonderful staff at this hotel. Airport pickup went smoothly, then the manager met with me to assist in setting up a 2 day trek and driver for the day in Kathmandu. Very friendly, very knowledgeable. They weren't trying to push any travel packages on me-generally seemed like they just wanted me to have a nice time in Nepal. Management also insisted on taking me out to dinner to try local food on my last night.

Rooms are basic, clean and well priced. Rooftop restaurant provides a simple free breakfast of eggs and toast.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 22, 2012

During the 6 nights I stayed at Backyard Hotel I experienced a real family atmosphere within the place, both the staff and other guests were very welcoming. Eating breakfast on the rooftop each morning was pleasant, while the room itself was more than adequate for my needs.
Almost all of my activities were arranged by the staff at Backyard, and both the price and quality of experience were very good.
One negative was the noise from a nearby nightclub, although this stopped around 11pm so not too much of an issue for me at least.
I have travelled extensively over the last 10 years and stayed in scores of places, this hotel is easily in my top 3 favourites thus far....recommended!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank AndyWilson1981
TSUNEAL, Manager at Backyard Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear Guest from United Kingdom, Namaste!!