“Beware of lies”
Review of Backyard Hotel

Backyard Hotel
Ranked #20 of 207 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

When we got to the hotel we were told that the delux room that we booked was not available because the people from the night before we're suppose to vacate on that morning but went on a trip instead so we had to stay in a standard room. After making friends with one of the staff I found out that the manager was lying and that he does this to ensure that every room is filled (your not likely to say no to a standard room to find another hotel).
When we did get to the room it was thilthy. We are frequent travellers and have stayed in hostels before so bought our sleeping sacks just incase. I'm glad we did. The towels were used and the sheets hadn't been cleaned.
The free wifi was useless. There's a computer in the reception but you cant access all pages ie hotmail.
The noise level was the worst part. If its not the staff shouting at all hours (as I'm guessing they live at the hotel) its the 2 nightclubs opposite competing to be louder than eachother.
This hotel does not have a back up generator so when the power cuts out (which is common in Nepal) the air con stops working.
I wouldn't waste your money here. There are far better places with more trustworthy management.

• Stayed: August 2012
7  Thank Iloveaustralia1
TSUNEAL, Manager at Backyard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Dear Visitors, this is a fake review. It is up to you to believe this or not..

There are newer reviews for Backyard Hotel

Reviewed September 26, 2012

it was great experiencestaying at backyard hotelT the rooms were neat and clean andcozy and food was excellent, the staff was very warm and the manager durgalal is very nicd and honest person. i had forgotten my gold chain in the room and he not only found it for me but kept in safe custody for few months till i sent someone to collect it. i really recommend this hotel to all peolple especially first time visitors for their safety and good experience-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DEEPAK

Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank deepak v

Dear Guest from India, Namaste!!

Greetings from Backyard Hotel!!

Thank you for the review and thank you again for your stay at our hotel. We were pleasured being at your service. Hope we get this opportunity in future again. We are glad you liked our place. All the best to you. Thank you.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

Finding Backyard Hotel was a lucky find in tripadvisor. All the staff are very friendly. The driver was very patient to wait for me when my flight became delayed. The hotel manager oriented me that there would be power shortcuts everyday but the rooms are quite cozy. Perhaps if they put electric fans in the rooms that can be used when the AC is not available would be a good thing. But over all service is very good especially for the price. The water is clean. My sister went to stay in another hotel 2 years back and the water was foul-smelling. Im so glad the the water in backyard hotel is clean and without smell! I will definitely recommend anyone to stay here.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Lanie T

Dear Guest from Singapore, Namaste!!

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Really I spent great time in Nepal in this August. This was my first trip for Nepal. But it became unforgettable for me. It was really great stay and trip. I am really thankful for Backyard Hotel and its Management team for their support for everything. They help me from Kathmandu arrival to departure from Kathmandu with great regard and unforgettable love. I were worried about everything they make clear. They provide best service for lodging, support to make package for Pokhara and Chitwan tour also.
The hotel is comparatively small with 15 rooms. 24 hours free internet service, backup power during the power cut off and help full young guys in front desk. I feel same as my another home and staying with my family. I never felt any inconvenient. I had stayed room no 301 With one big bed. I spent more than two weeks there. Hotel is in center of Thamel and whatever and wherever you want, it is more easily available. Friendly and helpful people are working there...... They are ready to help us any how in any time in Nepali way.
Heartily I want recommondate for you all who are new for Nepal. If you go there you will know about everything ..............................

Room Tip: They have three kinds of room and in differ differ price. You can ask room as your budget, Double...
5  Thank Irfan M

Dear Guest from United Kingdom, Namaste!!

Reviewed September 2, 2012

as a first time solo lady traveller, I am thankful that I chose Backyard hotel to stay in Nepal and handle my tour. the rooms are clean, with AC and TV that are functioning quite well. the toilet has water 24/7. although there is load shedding, the room i stayed in was cozy even at day time so you I didnt feel warm when electricity is cut off. the location of the place is in the heart of thamel by the way...

not one of the staff is without a smile the moment you enter the hotel. they are eager to help you with just about anything. The hotel Director Dhurga is very warm-hearted and was kind enough to let someone from the hotel accompany me in the tour. The hotel manager is very attentive to guests and the rest of the staff - Sagar, Sarun, Chandan, Nissan, Reuben are just very easy to talk with. The drivers Dhan and Suman are great and sweet! so I think besides the fact that you get good hotel service here for the money you paid for, the warmth of the staff is the more reason why Backyard hotel is home away from home...

7  Thank doc_iya
TSUNEAL, Manager at Backyard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2013

Dear Miss Shiela, Namaste !!!

Greetings from Backyard Hotel !!!

Thank you very much for your stay at Backyard and more thanks for you lovely compliment. We truly appreciate that. We are pleased then ever with this. Best Regards.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

My first trip to Nepal and found this place through Trip Advisor , located in a small ally of thamel , it was worth the price paid with friendly and efficient staff and management who is ready to help you any time, they would assist you to even plan your trip in other cities Nepal with ease , Rooms were clean , had a small LCD TV and A/C , if you are looking for a B&B hotel to stay the nights this is one of the best and safest, stayed two nights on 16th &21st Aug 2012, you get a free airport pickup and drop as well,
Nepal’s load shedding / electricity cuts kills you its better if they fixed fan’s in A/C rooms as well

6  Thank Salindha

Dear Guest from Bangladesh, Namaste!!

Reviewed August 16, 2012

The room here is clean and tidy, better than most of the hotels in thamel area. Water here is very clean, 24/7 available, which is one of the reasons why I choose here. The staff at the reception are nice and really helpful. We even watched the Eurocup together!!! We got some problem with our tap at first but solved immediately. The boss here is also warm hearted and can provide you all kinds of serives, like car rent or free pick up from the airport. Breakfast is good, fried eggs and cheese are my favourite here. I think I will choose this hotel next time coming to Nepal

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Qing X

Dear Guest from China, Namaste!!