Station BBQ
Ranked #415 of 807 Restaurants in Kathmandu
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed November 29, 2011

When you find Station BBQ (worth doing, I promise) you walk thru the gates into a courtyard filled with pommelo fruit trees, soothing music alla Hotel Costes and a nice grouping of inviting tables and comfortable sofas. The entire design made me feel like I was walking into a restaurant in Napa valley with everything in soothing earth tones, a great liquor selection, good wines, and smiling staff.

I have been to the restaurant 4 times in total. As an American I hold BBQ up as a particularly difficult art form. And I will say that you should not go in expecting something like a Georgia or Kansas City style bar-b-que. What you should expect are good quality meats cooked over hot coals right in front of you that will satisfy anyone who likes the sizzle and smell of char-grilling. The sauces are good and the rest of the menu also offers some great sub-continent fare--albeit spicy.

For each of my visits I sat outside and loved the al fresco dining. The respite from the tourist onslaught that is pervasive in most other restaurants (especially in Thamel) is completely absent and the staff were attentive and efficient.

A rating is always a difficult thing to do as i have also eaten at Thomas Keller's restaurants in NYC/Las Vegas and La Perla in Corvara, but knowing what Station BBQ is supposed to be and where it is located, I give it 5 Nepali stars.

Check it out and you will not be disappointed!

3  Thank cainecortellino

Reviewed October 17, 2011

I first came to Station BBQ last March 2011 and since then a week or two is not complete without hanging out in this pretty cozy BBQ outdoor and indoor restaurant. The facade is actually a garden with Pomelo trees where the dining tables are carefully arranged. Every table is discretely designed to accommodate hands-on BBQ slot where you yourself can cook, otherwise you can tell the kitchen chef to cook it for you.

If you decided to cook it yourself, they will dislodge the rectangular middle part of the table and insert a metal box full of burning coals and a grill where you have the option to cook it yourself of course with a standby staff who determines if you're doing it correctly. But for us frequent diners, we just do it on our own.

I like their kitchen because the walls are made of glass from floor to ceiling where you can see all the activities in the kitchen and even watch how your food is being cooked. Very clean, very transparent and the food is delicious, sumptuous and very tasty. Try their steak, chicken BBQ and pork BBQ.

Every Monday, they have Fusion Live Band where East meets West, I like the sound of tabla, flute, acoustic guitar and bass guitar. On Wednesdays they have a Live Jazz Band, the same band who performs at the Hyatt. On Fridays, they have Eastern music by Amreet Cheetri.

I personally know one of the owners, Ruju and he is always there to attend to all of their guests. At one dinner time (Monday), we did not know that UN Staff (about 50 of them) are having a party inside their restaurant complete with dancing with the live band, and all of the staff were busy, but Mr Ruju was there himself to attend to us.

Excellent: Food, Ambiance, Staff, Proximity
Needs improvement: more lights at the garden during night time, stationary umbrellas during day time and night time if needed

2  Thank CrisIbarra
Reviewed October 1, 2011

I have actually visited Station BBQ twice but only had food the first time the second was on I believe a Monday night when they have live music they also have it on Thursday night, when you walk in its like walking into an orchard with these big trees with some type of fruit the size of grapefruit hanging everywhere personally meeting one with my head. I took a seat under the huge fruit making sure I was not directly under one in case it fell and relaxed the servers were on the spot and brought the menu. I decided to go with the quesadilla and some type of soup I wish I could remember. The quesadilla was OK and the soup was very hot but all and all I really enjoyed the peacefulness as the sun set and darkness came in they light it up in a very neat and again peaceful way. The second time I went was to check out the music and have a glass of wine, however I decided on the brandy instead which was very good and after the second glass the band was even starting to sound better. I hear the BBQ is good I just couldn't find it appetizing while reading the menu. I recommend trying at least once.

1  Thank Auburnfan2514
Reviewed March 24, 2011

live music every wednesday.
spacious place/ rooms.
choose between private or more public atmosphere.
great service. bit expensive but worth it.
delicious food.
great atmosphere for BBQ with family or friends.

2  Thank Horst_11
Reviewed February 27, 2011

You can make your own bbq right on top of your table. Outside seating is very cozy and comfortable good for couple or a group. They have a nice seating inside with a nice bar and have a private rooms for corporate or family gathering. They have mouthwatering multi cuisine bbq and ala carte menu plus a wide selection of wines and spirits. Ive really enjoyed the grilled veggies with organic salad, bread rolls and homemade sauces of bbq, mint, chili and mustard. If you are too lazy to grill your own bbq the chef will do it for you in their glass partitioned see through kitchen where you can be assured of good hygiene and sanitation. Price and service are fantastic. Had a wonderful dining experience. Would visit again next time.

2  Thank Ana Liza A